Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

It is last chance saloon for this lad. We did try before to find him without success. I thought one more shot would be called for. Can you help please? With such a common name and no address it will not be easy.
 Have a great and thank you again for all your help.
 Kind regards.
Tom.

image.png
Doyle James One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Dublin. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service. 28/07/1917 Died after discharge at the Mater Hospital, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis. Unknown
Serial No:
Unit:
Born:
Enlisted:
Next of Kin: A married man.
Grave or Memorial:
Notes:
Newspapers Books etc: Dublin Daily Express, 28/07/1917. Discharged Soldier's Death. A verdict of death from Pulmonary Tuberculosis was returned at an inquest held yesterday on the body of a discharged soldier named James Doyle, address unknown. The deceased was found lying at the gate entrance of 34 Hill Street by Constable Michael Barry (160C), with blood oozing from his mouth, caused by the rupture of a blood-vessel. He was at once removed to the Mater Hospital, where life was pronounced extinct. The Coroner remarked that the Constable acted with great promptitude.

Edited by museumtom

A tough one Tom.
There are potential candidates, but to positively link them to this man we will need more info. A burial record might provide it. Any idea where he was buried - no obvious candidate in the Glasnevin 1917 records. Grangegorman maybe? 

As an aside, the clerks obviously knew his name, age, marriage & he was an army pensioner. I suspect “address unknown” - was because he had no fixed abode. We know Hill Street was part of the slums, again I suspect he lived in the slums rather than a passer by. I am not on FMP anymore, but he may appear in some of the FMP’s North Dublin Workhouse records due to the illness.

Jervis

Thank you kindly Jervis old son. I do try and avoid assumptions as I generally get it totally wrong. If he was married he may have an address. It does not say he was a Dublin man and he is not mentioned in the other newspapers. The only information found is in the readout above.

You only hear about the really REALLY difficult ones here.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Good man Jervis!

Good morning all.

It is last chance saloon for these unfortunates, can you help please?

Doyle    James        One of the unfindable soldiers who died after discharge. Death registered at Dublin. After extensive searches there is no record of his military service.        28/07/1917    Died after discharge at the Mater Hospital, from Pulmonary Tuberculosis.    Age: 49
Next of Kin: A married man. Newspapers Books etc: Dublin Daily Express, 28/07/1917. Discharged Soldier's Death. A verdict of death from Pulmonary Tuberculosis was returned at an inquest held yesterday on the body of a discharged soldier named James Doyle, address unknown. The deceased was found lying at the gate entrance of 34 Hill Street by Constable Michael Barry (160C), with blood oozing from his mouth, caused by the rupture of a blood-vessel. He was at once removed to the Mater Hospital, where life was pronounced extinct. The Coroner remarked that the Constable acted with great promptitude.

The lad below has an address of Clareen, Birr, King's County (Offaly). He died at the Hospice for the dying in Dublin. Birr was the base for the Leinsters so there may be a clue there, or not?

image.png.3c33c8f183809d8265fed94aea4bcbdb.png

59 minutes ago, museumtom said:

The lad below has an address of Clareen, Birr, King's County (Offaly). He died at the Hospice for the dying in Dublin. Birr was the base for the Leinsters so there may be a clue there, or not?

image.png.3c33c8f183809d8265fed94aea4bcbdb.png

Lad or lass?

M

Sorry Matlock. Give me a mo.

image.png.07ff34696c9f3a715119203c41a70819.png

A John Fitzpatrick was born in Roscrea Workhouse, near Birr, on 29 Nov 1893 (Irishgenealogy.ie). Closest I can find near Birr in a 1893/4 search.

image.png.72849e40fbe6e5c49939878bf8aa94a4.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Nice find Ivor, thank you it could be him.

Kind regards.

Tom.

All possibles Ivor. Thank you.

If John Fitzpatrick had Phthisis (wasting or consumption - an outmoded term for pulmonary tuberculosis) for one year & 3 months, he must have been ill since early 1916.

His medals are unlikely to have been claimed, hence no MIC or medal roll. Would there be a discharge record, or would he have just been on sick leave for that long?

Would there be a burial record somewhere? A pension record?

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you Ivor, all of these questions I could not find an answer to. That is why I asked the lads in here like your good self perhaps to find something I missed.

15 minutes ago, Ivor Anderson said:

His medals are unlikely to have been claimed, hence no MIC or medal roll.

If OR then medals for OS automatically sent out, no need to claim so there could be a Medal Roll & MIC out there. 

Also if he was HS only then a 'Discharge' MIC likely to be created linked to a SWB if he was discharged earlier.

And perhaps thence to a pension claim.

Officers or their family did have to claim medals.  So perhaps no MIC.

The trick will be find the info from the sparse details we currently have.

M

Thank you Matlock.

If he had TB for 1 year 3 months then he would have been discharged around December 1915 or January 1916. I am now looking in the SWB's for that...

Possibles. Connaught Rangers, No. 90211.2
12264, ASC.

2218,  RFA. William John Fitzpatrick.

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

12264, ASC.

image.jpeg.b57a28cf0307e27c704a1c7f90a4041d.jpeg

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

image.jpeg.189a76578131a1ad0ef823e0f15f6076.jpeg

Both above from Fold3.

Can't find 90211.2(?)

George

10 minutes ago, museumtom said:

2218,  RFA. William John Fitzpatrick.

3 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

image.jpeg.189a76578131a1ad0ef823e0f15f6076.jpeg

SWB Discharge MIC, 17.6.15 to 24.12.15, Sickness, shows 1st E Lancs Bde - would quite likely match Barnsley

M

Thank you George and Matlock. Conaught Rangers I put down his badge number instead of his service number.

image.png.65d221aa156a3c411540c76fa5f974b5.png

John FITZPATRICK, 2/10652, Connaught Rangers

WFA/Fold3 pension cards - Dependant's pension card but with very few details - unfortunately does not give DoD, nor address, nor any dependant's name.

The other card indicates his pensions award file was deliberately destroyed 18/3/25

M

Edited by Matlock1418
add

No reference to his death on his MIC (Ancestry) - enlisted 3 March 1913 & dis. 26 Feb 1916 with SWB fits so far:

Though SWB 90211 issued 26 Dec 1916.

Fitz 10652.png

Edited by Ivor Anderson

Thank you Matlock and Ivor, tantalisingly close.