Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Excellent find George!!! You are on the ball tonight. 

Thank you very much indeed!.

Kind regards.

Tom,

Nope, don’t think so. Those pesky WFA cards again

Michael Walsh RN No. 178825. rank given as PO1 (Petty Officer?).

Discharged 15/4/1919 due to Cancer of Rectum. Attributable on card although one might question how service can be responsible for that ailment. The clincher is the address - 17 Geraldine Place, Cork.

Reverse indicates died 31/1/1920.

https://www.fold3.com/image/644987643

Medal Roll shows trio. 

Can find his service record on Ancestry. Looking for FMP copy. Born 24/8/1878 in Renfrewshire. In from 24/10/1896.

Brilliant stuff!! Thank you all very much indeed!

Edited by museumtom

Excellent guys and gals, sent to Terry, fingers crossed!! Thank you all very much, thsi si not possible without you.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Sorry boys. Too much calvados as feared!

George

I appreciate all help George. Kind regards.

Tom.

Can you help with this one please? Death certificate registered in Cork City. Any help would be very much appreciated.

image.png.6abdd74abf33f2f75e6f270c77120098.png

5 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Can you help with this one please? Death certificate registered in Cork City. Any help would be very much appreciated.

image.png.6abdd74abf33f2f75e6f270c77120098.png

Possibly this man, S3297  KRRC.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7280329%2F27%2F324

Discharged 27 Oct 14 as medically unfit, no reason given.

EDIT:

Scrap this one, far too old.

Craig

Found Medal Roll, MIC and SWB for  9819 John Linehan  Royal Munster Fusiliers. Fold 3 has two pension cards for John.

Bob.

7 minutes ago, little bob said:

Found Medal Roll, MIC and SWB for  9819 John Linehan  Royal Munster Fusiliers. Fold 3 has two pension cards for John.

Bob.

The ledgers don't confirm death was attributed/aggravated by service.

Craig

4 minutes ago, little bob said:

Was a bit of a long shot. Does he have a Cork address?

Bob

Unfortunately not - only thing it adds in this matte is, unsurprisingly, that the pension was paid in region 13 (southern ireland).

Shows wife was Margaret.

Craig

There is a 9819 John "Lenihan" 2nd RMF, captured 27/8/1914, described in some WO papers  https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C9210890

Gives his address as 25 Coley's Lane, Cork.

Red Cross - Linehan - https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4539932/3/2/ https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/en/File/Details/4539932/3/2/

He also appears to have an SWB card which shows that he enlisted 7/6/1912 and was discharged with wounds in October 1915.

What a smashing lesson in research! When it all come together with the experts here it is something to see entirely.

Thanks very much lads and lassies, he will not qualify for IFCP but will be remembered with the Irishmen anyway.

Kindest regards and thanks again for stunning research!

Tom.

Michael Walsh has just been accepted by IFCP!. Well done and thank you to everyone!

Funny you should say that. I think you are right. I did have his death certificate when we went through them before, but the only ones I have recorded is Eugene and Thomas Linehan. John will be remembered with the Irishmen just the same. Walsh would not have gone through if you had not found him in folder3 by the way. Well done!

Yes I am reading this wrong. he got a war gratuity, and was still in in Dec 1914. Back to the drawing board.

Do you believe Smith to be 142244? Seem to rejoin 22/12/14 and served until 6/7/17. War Medal only on roll.

Record say “Invalided MCO”. Don’t know what MCO means. There is a ref to the MoP but I cannot find a WFA Card.

Edited by Mark1959

Yes Mark, I was not reading the second sheet which Bob sent which show he was discharged with a heart condition.

I am away to the library for death notices so will be away for a few hours. Sorry and thank again for staying with this.

Kind regards.

Tom.

yes it is indeed Bob, another great find, thank you.