Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Thank you Mark and Charlie. It was frustrating at times, but there were an awful lot of successes too. Let us not say we are ending with a failure, let us say we missed this one but I am sure there will be others to come but they will not be a prolific as the last ones. Terry will not be back until Tuesday so I will not have the final number until then. 

Enjoy the summer lads and lassies we have been looking forward to it for a long time.

You are the best possible team ever assembled to help with this project, for which I am and always said most thankful. 

Now wheres me sun screen....

Kindest regards.

Tom.

...getting to this late having just returned from the lands where some of these brave souls spent some of their young days. The serried ranks at Longuenesse, near St. Omer brought back the stark reminders of these young men, and women of many nations and I felt my small part in some of their histories thanks to you and your work Tom. If I could suggest a recognition for you I would...but the glow of a job well done-as with many things in life-will suffice for us all I hope.

And Thank you for letting us join you

George

Good man George, I hope you enjoyed the battlefields and are happy to be back safely at home again. Thank you most kindly for the accolade George, I was privileged to be joined by the best on the forum to help with the project, including yourself of course. It was not possible without you, for which I am most grateful.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Tom,

Could I suggest that all the boys that we couldn't find details for, you start again at the beginning with?

The reason is that the Pension Ledgers from the WFA have shown their worth in gold, but I think we only really discovered them half way through.

Plus, I think that there are more details coming out (in the next few days??) in that database, that (who knows?) might unlock some more unknowns?

I'm not suggesting re-starting today, or tomorrow, but maybe... one day...?

Hello Dyfed.

In my heart I know it is a sensible thing to do, however.. we went through 8,000,000 death certs which gave us 7,000 sheets of death certs that contained all the possibles. Then spent almost 6 months, usually around 16 hours a day, every day to get through them.

I have been at this since October last, and fatigue has set in. It has been intense and I will not be returning to it after this is over. We gave it our best shot. It has the potential to go on forever, it really does. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

Dyfed

I had suggested something similar to Tom.

Tom, 

You do not need to be involved. It just amounts to a review by the team of those certificates you have posted here we did not find a card for. I can fully appreciate how you are feeling. It may well be that it is only the odd one we find the extra info for  to send off to the IFCP. 

But we can do that ourselves  giving you all the credit you deserve. 

It may well be worth us waiting a while until the WFA release more cards. 

Thank you Mark. 

Heading for Yorkshire Wartime Experience next week to chill out. Happy days!

Kind regards.

Tom.,

I stand ready to help if called...a similar thought had also occurred to me

George

Good man George. Let us see how this pans out.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Terry has just given me the final figure 159 accepted. 13 of these are in the CWGC, George Reid, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, K.I.A., being added to the CWGC today.

Well done to all the pals!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Absolutely wonderful Tom! What  a man!

George

Well done to the group, it was not possible without you lads and lasses. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tease!

George

'Morning all. This officer has been accepted by IFCP and I am looking for Next of kin or birth details for him. Can you help please? Kind regards. Tom.

Timothy, O'Donovan, appointed Second Lieutenant, The Connaught Rangers after 15 years service in the ranks, 14th June, 1915; Lieutenant, 1st Battalion, 19th January 1916. Served in the Great War 1914-1918 with the 1st Battalion (wounded at Hanna 1st January 1916), 1914 Star, British and Victory Medals. He was formerly Q.M.S. with the Connaught Rangers, number 6828.

That is brilliant, thank you Mark. I should have said he was a married man and was 40 when he died.

Kind regards.

Tom.

What was Date of Death? Presumably before 31/8/21. PM sent with pic of O'Donovan.

Did he have a legal background? Can find several 1917 newspaper refs for a T O'Donovan. Lt Connaught Rangers, acting as prosecutor for Court Martials and Conscientious Objector tribunals in Dublin. Presumably too incapacitated to return to front-line soldiering. 

edit

https://www.fold3.com/image/645321021

WFA Card under 6828. Widow refused pension it seems because she was getting an allowance for children and she would be elgible once the kids ceased to be eligible. Widow Elizabeth. Decision taken 5/10/21.

He appears in several Army Lists 1915-18. 1916-1918 give his DoB as 14/9/1880. The 1915 list (2nd Lt) says 14y 320d as OR + 137 days as WOII, 2nd Lt June 1915, Lt Jan 1916. 

Where was his death registered?

Edited by Mark1959

Unable to find a birth for O'DONOVAN  14 September 1880. Have found a DONOVAN  born 15 Sept 1880,  Dunmanway 8820779 son of Jeremiah and Anastatid (nee Kelleher.)Did Timothy die 25th February 1920, 1 Patricks Terrace, Cork?

Bob

The address came from "Calenders of Wills and Administrations" from the Irish Genealogy site, plenty of free information there.

Bob

Excellent, thank you Bob!!

I am right in thinking that Belad is in or near Clonakilty. This is a probate for a Bartholomew Donovan died 1907. Showing him as a famer. Probate granted to Timothy Donovan also a farmer. If these are the 2 above then I suspect this is not the relevant birth record for our man. We know our Timothy was a professional soldier at the time. Would like to know how Terry proved the link to Nellie as mother.