Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Good work Bob. Seem to be struggling with them all today. His SWB card shows eligible 3/10/19 so presumably that indicates a discharge somewhen in 1919.

Edited by Mark1959

That is really good stuff Mark, yes indeed it is him surely. More information to add to his readout.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Somers

This chap is the most likely candidate.

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?firstname=john&firstname_variants=true&lastname=somers&keywords=57165&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

ex Connaught Rangers 4344

There is a WFA Card under Sommers. Shows discharged 29/11/18. Malaria and dysentery. Attributable. Address 1 Chapel Hill, Sligo. Does indicate a Year of Birth of 1886 that is a little too old. Died early 1921.

1914 Star trio.

Edited by Mark1959

Excellent Mark, thank you. I am still bogged down with Smythe, but I just found this.

image.png.41a2694972794520321bcffc98a56d8a.png

So now we know his wifes name is Rosanna.

Brilliant stuff Mark. I am going through them now. It certainly looks like him, and her. Thomas Henry Smythe has been put on the back burner until IFCP go to the NA.

image.png.38cbf1e8461579657d69c01f2c97f705.png

His marriage cert which show we are on the right track.

image.png.84d47b224bf7173ad1b513cb5d035151.png

Great stuff Bob!! Than you for that.

Bob, if I may, can you find any link to Somers home address please? I could not find it in your service numbers.

Tom, I'm afraid that I can't help you with an address for John.

Unable to find a pension record or card for him. Big difference in his age between military records and death certificate.

Bob

Cant play today...off to Northern France 'till Sunday. Hope questioned are answered and it's easy!!

George

No bother Bob, thanks for trying!!

Enjoy France George!! You lucky son of a gun...

We are now on the letter 'W' in the final folder of our project. This Galway soldier may in fact be the last one to post. Can you help me please?

image.png.9395eb8f933be41740dc90259a096546.png

That's it lads and lassies, we have reached the end of the maze. Whew!! The death certs are now done. I wish to thank each and every one of you for helping with this huge task. It was not possible to complete it without your generous help and support. I am sure there will be more requests from me in the future but never as many as we have processed in the past 8 months. 8,000,000 certs were gone through, and 7,000 sheets of possibles which included munition workers, nurses etc, that were not relevant to this where included in those sheets. I have a few more tweaks to sort before I ask Terry what our final total is but it should be over 150 that were accepted by IFCP.

Thanks again to everyone, your time is your own again.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Will just check on Mr Wallace later. Out on the river all day. Quick look has not come up with an obvious candidate

32 minutes ago, museumtom said:

That's it lads and lassies, we have reached the end of the maze. Whew!! The death certs are now done. I wish to thank each and every one of you for helping with this huge task. It was not possible to complete it without your generous help and support. I am sure there will be more requests from me in the future but never as many as we have processed in the past 8 months. 8,000,000 certs were gone through, and 7,000 sheets of possibles which included munition workers, nurses etc, that were not relevant to this where included in those sheets. I have a few more tweaks to sort before I ask Terry what our final total is but it should be over 150 that were accepted by IFCP.

Thanks again to everyone, your time is your own again.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

Your wish to re-discover, honour and remember those who fought, served and died for their country, who aren’t currently commemorated, with such passion is a credit to you. I doff my cap and salute you Sir. 

Plus your desire to remember those who sadly won’t be credited with a CWGC headstone, or memorial of some kind, due to their individual circumstances, you should be proud of yourself and rightly so.

👏🏻

Thank you Mark. Go on ya good thing!!!!

Thank you Paul, very much appreciated. Sure if we dd not do it, perhaps it would not have been done at all. It was not possible without the expertise, and access to various databases of the pals on this forum that made it all possible.

It has been a long road (and frustrating in places !) but you're going to be bored now it's over.

Craig

It has Craig, it has. I have been thinking of getting some thumb twiddling in now I have the time. I hope it is the same for you lads and lassies! Enjoy the sun and thanks again for all the help.

Not getting anywhere with Wallace. No census records or anything. So looks like we may finish with a failure. Pity

I join everyone in doffing my hat to you. A tremendous effort. Well done that man!.

Well done Tom, and well done that team; the replies where so quick and so good that I was only able to contribute a couple of times when the experts were taking a break. What a worthwhile project.

22 hours ago, wandererpaul said:

Plus your desire to remember those who sadly won’t be credited

and I second that sentiment.

Charlie