Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

I agree Mark. I should have said earlier. I got this email from Terry today. He can say this as he waited for weeks to purchase his records and they only came today as far as I know.

Tom

Timothy O’DONOVAN

Mother – Nellie O’Donovan

Wife – Elizabeth Ellen O’Donovan of 16 Park Place, Dublin at his death – later Oliver Street, Conakilty, Co Cork

Terry

Morning Tom,

What do you need?

George

I cannot find his records George, and the critical sheet of course please.

Don't think his will helps either

soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/reels/sw/1918_22/CroninC_DE794185.pdf

http://soldierswills.nationalarchives.ie/search/sw/results.jsp?surname=Cronin&firstname=Charles&wo_number=&service_number=&wod_dd=&wod_mm=&wod_yyyy=&dd_dd=24&dd_mm=01&dd_yyyy=1920&search=Search

George

Edited by George Rayner

...and that's it Tom. Can't track anything else down. The clever people will along in a minute!!

George

Thank you George, great stuff!, I am going through them now. I do notice the difference in D.O.D. on the Will and death cert.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Previously 4054 Royal Irish Regiment then R/382023 ASC.

1915 trio - Egypt 5/9/15

Medal roll shows to ASC 27/1/18.

1915 Roll shows 1/RIR. To Class Z reserve 22/3/19

WFA Card shows widow's pension refused "not removed from duty" - I think that means as he was not discharged unfit

That is it for now. Out on the water again in a few minutes.

Good man Mark, cracking stuff. Thank you very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Cronin

WFA Card link: https://www.fold3.com/image/645240549

There does not appear to be any other service docs to support his case.

He is possibly the Charles Cronin born 21/2/1874 in Cork to Charles and Honora.

In that case he had earlier service. Discharged 1897 for Syphillis.

In which case these papers are relevant. Note the address in Brown Street. Timothy is elder brother and Charles father. 

A Charles Cronin married Hannah Ahern in Cork in 1902. 

The man for which there are pre-WW1 papers for appears to be living in his brother's house in Brown St in 1901

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/No__2_Urban/Brown_Street/1107675/

In 1911 a Charles and Hannah Cronin are living at Lavitts Quay just around the corner from Brown St. He is supposed to be 30 here

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__2/Lavitts_Quay/391933/

Looked at cause of death - the abscess usually is the result of urological infection - not sure if that could be a result of syphilis. Hope it is the wrong man for Hannah's sake.

However, none of this gets us any further towards IFCP recognition which may well be a forlorn hope. 

Thank you Mark, excellent items. I was hoping if his records showed his cause of discharge it would help to put him forward, but we are thwarted, mores the pity. I really appreciate all you help very much indeed.

Thank you again Mark.

Kind regards.

Tom.

He was sent to the general liability class z reserve as seen in my first post on Cronin. So normal post-war demob rather than due to being unfit for service. So I think he is one to record but not one for the IFCP

Thanks Mark.

Yes indeed, I have him with my Irish lads, he will not be left behind. Poor ould divil.

Kind regards.

Tom.

22 hours ago, Mark1959 said:

Looked at cause of death - the abscess usually is the result of urological infection - not sure if that could be a result of syphilis.

I think that's a correct take on it.

Nothing is impossible, but it certainly isn't near the top of the list of causation.

Beat me by a short head. Effects register shows died Adelaide Hospital, Dublin

All the 3 Nottingham records returned here appear relevant - the 3rd one for 1914 has the same address as on the death certificate. A chequered career one might say.

Thank you Mark!!

Well done to sort that out Tom-11 years age difference, spleen vs heart...makes you wonder at times

George

Thanks George

Another interesting thing about this is one was registered on 29/08/1916, North City, District 2 and the other on 11/05/1916.North City, District 3.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Can they really be the same man?

George

I think so. I am open to correction though. Same D.O.D. and address, almost the same name.

Yes your findings shows that but how strange the differences are. Ho hum. Ours not to...

George

These are sent to test us George.

Being a bit slow on this one but CWGC has Sgt.,H.Shepherd buried in Grangegorman Military cemetery.

Bob

Yes indeed Bob, he is in the link in the first post. I reckon these two D.C.'s are for the same man. Unless someone can find the 29 year old Shepherd?

Kind regards.

Tom.