Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

I'm more worried about somebody "mounting a display".

What sort of establishment are we attending?

It is called the Tally Ho, after all!

Alan - is there a closing date by which teh deposits have to be in? Im still trying to work out diary that far in advance!

Thansk and regards, and aplogies if this has been said elsewhere.

Jonathan S

Jonathan - no, there is no closing date - the venue takes up to 300 so should be room for everyone

Alan

Now 48 deposits received - and the event is open to anybody, so if any forum guests want to come, please get in touch via the details on the Donations page

Alan

Alan,

Thanks for confirmation of recieving cheque

your inbox is full

Look forward to meeting faces

Grant

Hi Alan,

My cheque has just been written out, and will be in the post on Monday. Thank you, to you and your wife for arranging this. It is a massive task - I just know from the 'MIC days' to raise some forum funds, how much work that involved, which is nothing compared to this!

Looking forward to it.

Alie.

The updated programme for the conference - we have how reached the half-century of attendees but still room for everyone else who wants to come

Alan

10.00 - 10.30 : arriving

10.30 - 11.30 : Bryn Hammond : Cambrai 1917 - The Myth of the First Great Tank Battle

11.45 - 12.45 : Charles Fair : The Changing Character of the London Territorial Force 14-18: The case of the 19th (Co. of London) Battalion, The London Regt (St. Pancras)

12.45 - 14.00 : lunch

14.00 - 15.00 : Peter Hart : Aces Falling - The War Above the Trenches 1918

15.15 - 16.15 : Charles Messenger : The BEF of 1918

16.30 - 17.30 : to be confirmed

17.30 - 19.00 - mingling

19.00 onwards - dinner

oh!! (slaps forehead) MINGLING!!

That's a good looking programme, with a wide range of presentations - something for everyone.

I particularly like the idea of 'mingling'. There's nothing quite like a good mingle.

Hi Alan,

I just paid using paypal, can you confirm that you received it ok, first time using it .

Peter

Just a reminder - still taking deposits

Thanks

Alan

Whats the numbers like now Alan ?

Peter

Peter - we're currently at 55 - I think that's not bad considering the event is still 8 months away!

Alan

I think it's a tribute to the GWF and to your own reputation, Alan, that so many people were being positive about the event before any details were known.

Keith

OK guys the cheque is in the post I'll be there. Any of you booked a hotel as yet...I have stayed in the Kensington Hotel just along the road from The Tally Ho when booked onto the Great War Society Trips and would recommend it. Anyone else from Jockoland travelling down and wants to go by train or plane let me know...I look forward to telling you Brummies which city was and always will be the one and only Second City of The British Empire. :P

By the way there are some good Curry shops in and around Edgebaston as well. :rolleyes:

Just noticed that the Kensington Hotel has changed hands since I last stayed there...so I will check out others in Brum before Monday.

which city was and always will be the one and only Second City of The British Empire. :P

Although, in this week's "Who Do You Think You Are", the assertion was that it was Dublin. And, yes, it surprised me as well.

Although, in this week's "Who Do You Think You Are", the assertion was that it was Dublin. And, yes, it surprised me as well.

Dublin was always known as that, well till 1921 anyway..........

We where always told that in school.

Peter

Peter - we're currently at 55 - I think that's not bad considering the event is still 8 months away!

Alan

Thats great Alan, can you tip me of if anybody from over here is going, might be able to sort flights \taxi's.

Just in case I miss a post.

Peter

As Britain prepared for war in 1914 Glasgow could not only claim the subriquet 'Second City of The Empire' but also that it was the sixth most important city in Europe behind London , Paris , Berlin , Vienna and St.Petersburg. Joseph Chamberlain visited the city in May 1903 to give a speech on his 'New Fiscal Policy' and received raptorous applause when he opened his meeting by admitting that he 'as a Brummie and former Mayor of Birmingham I have to admit that Glasgow is by far the Second City of the Empire'. It would take two World Wars and another 40 odd years before Birmingham could claim the title Second City of the Empire for itself...by which time the Empire on which the sun never set was rapidly disappearing. We Glaswegian's have always claimed that the only reason 'the sun never set on the British Empire'... was because God wouldn't trust the English in the dark. :rolleyes:

The original title of Second City of the Empire was the right of Philadelphia until 'those damned Colonials' decided to have a Revolution in 1776. Dublin then laid claim to the title when the Union of 1801 came about but it was never taken seriously apart from by the Irish themselves. Glasgow by 1801 would far outnumber Dublin in population and commercial output despite the Irish claims to the nickname.

Not aware of anyone else from Ireland coming - but will let you know if they are

Interesting discussion about the "Second City of the Empire" but not really sure this is the right place for it!

Alan

Not aware of anyone else from Ireland coming - but will let you know if they are

Interesting discussion about the "Second City of the Empire" but not really sure this is the right place for it!

Alan

Move it or delete it if you wish MagicRat as I was only replying to the others posts re the subject.

Yours Aye!

Charlie McDonald

No problem Charlie! And thanks for the cheque

Alan

No problem Charlie! And thanks for the cheque

Alan

Sorry Alan I ran out of cheques so I have posted it on Paypal along with a small donation...hope you get it. :P

So where has everyone booked into for the night/s. Anyone going to Birmingham on the Friday night who wants to meet up for a drink in Brum. :poppy: