The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

What do the members think of sticking a small levy on to the total cost of the meet, say £1 per person to go toward the forum running costs ?

If all those that have shown intrest show up, it could be a nice little earner.

Just a thought :unsure:

Grant

Is it too late to say I'm interested? Depends on dates.

Also happy to offer a talk if you need speakers. I might even be able to persuade my chum, the recidivist known as Peter Hart, to do one of his 'specials' :blush: .

Bryn

Also interested - depending on date/venue, of course.

John

I am very interested in attending. But, as I have posted before the date and venue are important. I would be coming from Vancouver so a levy is not much concern. But I will need to tell my employer when I need some leave dates.

Regarding the date and venue I hope to have something more definite next week - my feeling at the moment is the date will be March 20th. The venue will be (broadly speaking) in the Midlands, potentially as far south as Milton Keynes or as far north as Nottingham or Stoke, but likely somewhere much nearer Birmingham. Quite a wide area, I know, but hard to be more precise until I start looking at venues.

Alan

I'm not coming if the quiz has no Ska questions.

Not sure about a 'lecture'-style speaker, but a Guest of Honour to make a concise, witty and pithily appropriate speech might be nice. Might be a few ex-MPs looking for a gig.

I am not sure about the quantity Will. If we have teams, which I think is good, then there has to be a little more time. Maybe a basic set of 30, with a set of say 5 tie breakers in reserve. It could just be too much otherwise after all that intellectual debate.

Keith

Keith

I take your point. It sounds like a plan............if the quiz idea is accepted.

Totally happy with the quiz idea - and in fact any other ideas folks have,

For the moment, though, I just want to get a date and venue sorted, then some speakers (and that's coming along too)

Venue - National Arboretum?

Stephen

Venue - National Arboretum?

Stephen

An excellent and relevant recommendation if it could cope with the numbers.

Their website says hey have a conference room but the site closes at 5pm so any evening meal and social event would have to be held elsewhere. Alrewas is in the middle of nowhere so you'd be talking of Tamworth, Burton on Trent or Lichfield for that and I'm not sure having people move site wouldn't break the atmosphere and lead to more of those living nearish just going home. Speaking personally, I'd much rather the whole thing were arranged at a hotel so that people have the chance to walk to their rooms, have a break and get spruced up before renewing the festivities in the evening. I live in Derby, about half an hour from the Arboretum, and I'm not sure that I'd want to drive home and then go back out for the meal.

Keith

I agree

One venue for talks, drinks, meal & accomodation is the way to go.

As for the quiz; why not ask the speaker(s) to set the questions directly in relation to the content of their talk(s).

We would then find out who had listened attentatively & who had been studying their knees :lol:

Andy

Strewth, Andy! That's downright devious! :o

Keith

Strewth, Andy! That's downright devious! :o

Keith

Keith

The only chance I have of answering any of the questions are if someone has already given me the answers :lol:

Andy

The National Arboretum is a good suggestion. Relevant and the monies paid out would be going to support a very valuable institution. I also think it needs support. It has catering capability and a private room. Not sure how many in could cater for though.

I went early this year with my mother-in-law to see her first husband's name (Korea 1953) and the new memorial is magnificent. The blank space for those being lost in Afghanistan (2 today) and in future conflicts, is chilling.

The National Arboretum would be fine for a 9 to 5 event, but I think Andy is absolutely right. We need a venue where the probably high proportion of members electing to stay overnight can remain at the venue for a chat before the evening meal. A 5.00pm cut off might well prove too early for the main session.

keith

Thanks for the continuing suggestions and just to keep you up to date, I think I have found a suitable venue in Birmingham - a reasonable price, good facilities, good value accommodation on site, free parking, and close to rail links. They have availability for Saturday 20th March 2010.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to make a booking in the next few days

Alan

Put me down for 2

Peter

Alan

In case we who are interested miss the final details, booking details etc, could you please PIN the relevant posting at the top of the home page.

Regards

Martin

ps 20 March would be great for me.

20th March is perfect, its in the diary.

Just to confirm, the conference will be on Saturday 20th March 2010, in a conference centre in Edgbaston, Birmingham. There is accommodation available on site.

For now I have made a provisional booking, and will give more details when the booking is finalised. At that point, I will confirm the speakers, cost of the day and request that anyone who wants to come send me a deposit cheque for £10 per person, payable to the GWF.

Thanks

Alan

Well done Alan. My diary is marked.

Keith