GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Alan

Thanks for organising this.

20th is fine for me, I'm in.

Andy

Alan,

Works for me, work allowing.

Small point, when you do anounce the date / venue / cost confirmation, could you please do it in a new thread to save people having to scrool through lots of "me too" posts just to find you what you have added.

Thanks

Grant

• Admin

Well if I come along you will all have to buy me a birthday drink! I'll check with the bald bloke and get back to you Alan.

Cheers, Michelle

I'll have to consult with my Chief of Staff, and will let you know. We wouldn't need accommodation, as my Mum is no more than 30 mins drive away.

Having gone to school in Edgbaston, I'm stroking my chin purposefully as to conference centres - the University? Tally Ho? Oh lumme not my old school? (Unlikely..)

Oh lumme not my old school? (Unlikely..)

Don't worry, I've spoken to the headmaster and he says you can come as long as you behave! :)

Grant - yes, I'll post a new thread

Alan

send me a deposit cheque for £10 per person, payable to the GWF.

Alan

Alan,

Just a thought.....

As we're all reading this via the Internet, you might consider setting up a PayPal account?

John

Having gone to school in Edgbaston, I'm stroking my chin purposefully as to conference centres

Staffs: just a guess, but might it be the Bot Gees?

John

We is definitely coming :D

I shall keep an eye out for the new thread and book our places accordingly :D

:D

As we're all reading this via the Internet, you might consider setting up a PayPal account?

John, there is the GWF paypal account but I'd rather keep this separate from it, if possible. Also, don't forget that Paypal do take a small fee from each donation, so it might make the record keeping a little tricky!

Of course, for any international visitors without a sterling bank account, Paypal would be fine

Alan

Just to confirm, the conference will be on Saturday 20th March 2010, in a conference centre in Edgbaston, Birmingham. There is accommodation available on site.

Cheque in the post (where have I heard that before) tonight. Please can you announce exactly where it is ASAPractical so that accomodation can be booked.

For now I have made a provisional booking, and will give more details when the booking is finalised. At that point, I will confirm the speakers, cost of the day and request that anyone who wants to come send me a deposit cheque for £10 per person, payable to the GWF.

Sure but to what address do I send it?

Click on the "donations" link in my signature - that gives the address for cheques. No reason not to mention the venue, I suppose - it is the Tally Ho Conference Centre - post code B5 7RN

There is basic accomodation on site - but I don't have the contact details for that yet.

Click on the "donations" link in my signature - that gives the address for cheques. No reason not to mention the venue, I suppose - it is the Tally Ho Conference Centre - post code B5 7RN

There is basic accomodation on site - but I don't have the contact details for that yet.

Alan

Just to clarify, you are taking deposits now for the conference.

The police Tally Ho! ? Thats easy for all to find...opposite Edgbaston Cricket Ground! Its a nice venue if it is one and the same.

I shall be in France on the Somme as usual in March so will miss out.

Hope it goes well.

TT

For those wishing to plan travel, the Tally Ho Conference centre is on the A441 Pershore Road south of Birmingham city centre, very close to the Edgbaston cricket ground. I do not know of many (any?) hotels that are terribly close to it, but there are plenty within a mile or two. Birmingham New Street station is a few miles away (taxi or plenty of buses down Pershore Road). The suburban stations at Five Ways and University are probably closer but a long walk. There is plenty of parking at Tally Ho, which also houses the West Midlands Police Sports and Social Club.

Alan

Just to clarify, you are taking deposits now for the conference.

Well, as I think some folks have started sending them to me, yes! So just to re-iterate, please follow the "donations" link in my signature, and send a cheque payable to the Great War Forum for £10 per person - I'd be grateful if you could mention that the cheque is for the conference, in case I accidentally think it is a pure donation.

Not sure I've actually confirmed the cost up to now - £25 per person, not counting dinner - I'll sort that out once I've spoken to the caterers.

I also haven't told you who the speakers are yet - although if you read this thread you can have a pretty good guess. I'll do that once all are confirmed.

Alan

There is accomodation on site at the Training College, usually provided with breakfast the following morning.

There is also an excellent pub and a very good curry house within a 5 minute walk.

There is accomodation on site at the Training College, usually provided with breakfast the following morning.

There is also an excellent pub and a very good curry house within a 5 minute walk.

Thanks Matt - you wouldn't happen to know exactly what the training college is called (I suspect not the Tallyho training college). Even better would a phone or e mail number so I could book a room. I'm sure I'll be able to find the pub without directions!

That wouldn't be The Selly Park Tavern and the Royal Watan would it??

Roger

That wouldn't be The Selly Park Tavern and the Royal Watan would it??

Roger

Yep, right on both counts.

I love the dustbin lid sized naan breads.

• Admin

Has Alan block booked rooms? I am unsure whether to phone and book if he has already made reservations.............

Michelle

Alan is out of communication this evening and can't respond - so I am doing so on his behalf.

While the venue has been booked, it will not be 100% until Alan has paid over the deposit. Also as the Tally Ho does not function as a hotel, I do not think it will be appropriate for individuals to contact the venue in an attempt to book rooms. The Tally Ho has in the order of 100 rooms so there is not likely to be any problem in sorting accommodation.

As Alan has not yet had the relevant information from the venue, he cannot give us anymore details currently.

I suspect the method for booking rooms will probably be via Alan who will then block book rooms as per the demand.

Regards

Brian