Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Bruce

All good ideas - I think Alan is waiting to finalise the fifth speaker before he can put the agenda to bed - in the interim, the details so far are contained here - GWF Conference and Dinner.

As for trade stands - I think that is on the cards as long as they are appropriate - certainly the speakers will bring along copies of their books for sale I would imagine.

Brian

Now staying over on the Friday night as well as Saturday having managed to get some time off work - up for the curry, of course.

Just bumping this up - still lots of room for anyone who wants to come. A £10 deposit secures your place.....

Thanks

Alan

Although I wont be there (in France) which is a shame as I only live five mins in a car away I can recommend The Royal Oak pub on the same road ( Pershore) as the Selly Park Tavern but about two miles out of town direction. A "real ale" pub, nice decor and a really good curry house down the road next to the Horse Shoes pub ( avoid at all costs) called the Balti Bazaar!

Hope you all have a great time!!!

TT

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping again - now 70 deposits received so will hopefully be a very enjoyable and interesting event

Alan

Hi Simon - yes I did get that - sorry for not sending you a message

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Another bump - please let me know if you are interested in the GWF conference/dinner

Alan

Martin Brown of "No Mans Land" has kindly agreed to speak at the conference - on the subject "Violets, Kangaroos and Bustards: The Plugstreet Project". In Martin's words -

"When Australian soldiers went in to action below the Messines Ridge in June 1917 they relied on training learned on Salisbury Plain. Using archaeological techniques it has been possible to see the remains of their training ground and to assess the value of that training by following them to the Messines front. However, the archaeological remains have also revealed other stories, including the importance of the mines, the travails of the returning civilians and the particular tale of one casualty, recovered after 91 years lost in Flanders."

Still plenty of spaces left so please let me know if you are interested - the full details are all here -

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=127802

Alan

Do we have any idea of the final costs yet (still £25) and when you we need to pay by ?

Cheers

Grant

Grant - final cost will be £25. I don't think I'll be asking for the balance to be paid until early next year

In the meantime, just a reminder that there is still plenty of room, if anyone wants to come to the conference - and also please let me know if you want to run a stall, or maybe offer books for sale at the event.

Thanks

Alan

Name Tags? Or is that a silly idea.....?

No, John, I don't think that's a silly idea.

I certainly wouldn't know who many people were. I've already mentioned this to Alan and we are looking into the various possibilities. So far they are ranging from hard plastic name tags to simple labels!

Sue (aka Mrs MagicRat)

Any IFTC members attending?

Chris

Phew! So it's not just me, then...... Whilst I know the South Staffs posse, I am sure the bulk of other Forum members are strangers to me. And wearing my GWF badge would be of little use, I feel.

Wouldn't it be good if the badge could also display the Avatar?

Any IFTC members attending?

Chris

Yes, Chris - at least half a dozen, from a quick glance at the list

Alan

Alan

thanks very much - can I have a badge with Gravefinder General on it :D

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

My name badge can include my real name.....

:lol:

Bruce

Name badges and Dinner for me and Mrs Squirrel please.

Although I wont be there (in France) which is a shame as I only live five mins in a car away I can recommend The Royal Oak pub on the same road ( Pershore) as the Selly Park Tavern but about two miles out of town direction. A "real ale" pub, nice decor and a really good curry house down the road next to the Horse Shoes pub ( avoid at all costs) called the Balti Bazaar!

Hope you all have a great time!!!

TT

Do you mean The British Oak in Stirchley?

If so, it's owned by one of my best mates from the rugby club, and I agree it's a fine establishment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Will Brummie-English interpreters be available at the Birmingham airport and the conference facility? It is said that Chris Baker speaks English just like an Englishman.