Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Just to confirm on accomodation, and re-iterating what Brian and Matt have said, the accomodation is at the Police Training college - I believe that the rooms are basic, ensuite singles costing £18 a night. I do have a contact for booking them, and will give them a call later on to see how they want to handle it - they could be happy to take individual bookings but I would imagine that it would be easier for me to take a block booking.

I'll see if I can rustle up a list of local hotels too - but please bear in mind that I do have to attend to other things like work once in a while!

Alan

Thank you - as the Memsahib is coming I don't think that single rooms are an option - so she says - details of hotels would be most welcome.

Yep, two of us, so hotels would be great (even nicer if we could all stay in the same one!)

I've spoken to them again this morning - I think it's single rooms at the Police Training Centre but will confirm when I get the details in writing from them (in the next few days)

They also mentioned that they have deals with local hotels for conference attendees so I'll post those when I get them

Alan

Just a friendly suggestion - having done this sort of thing for work purposes once (I won't say 'never again', but a stiff drink and a wadge of new notes might be required) it is FAR better to have a single point of contact for the room bookings, otherwise the admin will become horrible. (For both sides of the equation)

There is some attendant risk (generically, I don't know how TH works) that if they need a form of guarantee, such as a credit card, dishonoured bookings can bring much complication. I would however hope that we are in a group where common sense and good manners apply; and in Army mantra "no plan survives the start line" there will be late cancellations. It behoves us all to ease Alan's pain.

Happy to help try locate accommodation suggestions. It's reasonably convenient for the M5 and M42; a lateral thinking suggestion is to see what Warwickshire CC suggest as well.

As noted, Helen and I won't need hotels due to proximity of family.

I am a definate as Mrs O'B has already been informed of my decision to attend. No arguments, no negotiation just I am going whether you like it or not........the fact is she doesn't care & is quite looking forward to getting shot of me for a whole day :lol:

The cheque will be in the post tonight.............trust me I'm a banker.

my cheque is in the post. Once you are further on, an overnight is a definite for me. I hope that we will all go with whatever dining option Alan proposes, whether at the Police College, or the Indian. The chance to meet, and probably greet so many familiar names is not to be missed.

Keith

Just the Day Will, you not planing to stay the night in the hope of raiding Jon's Stash of Paschendale?

John

No John I told her it would be just for the day..................the fact I might not get back until the first train from Birmingham to MK pulls into Central Milton Keynes the next morning sort of slipped my mind.............can't believe Jon would be daft enough to bring his Passendale with him. If he does it's every man for himself!!

Alan

Is the plan that there be a dinner at Tally Ho after the "event".

In which case (and depending on "event" starting time), I may think about a hotel for the night before as well as after. In which case, how about an informal get-together at the Indian restaurant on the Friday night?

• Admin

Sent the deposit for the 2 of us yesterday. I think for one night only we can manage single rooms- a respite from snoring at least!

Michelle

Thanks to all who have sent cheques, and to those who are about to! :)

My thought was to have dinner at the venue - there has been discussion of maybe a quiz, or even an after dinner speaker. The event is likely to start at 10.00 with the first speaker at 10.30 - and I like John's idea of meeting on Friday evening for those of us staying two nights.

Can someone clarify these 10 quids. Is this just to secure accommodation at Tally Ho or for the conference itself? Us locals (20 mins away) who do not need accommodation need to know.

Alan

Hopefully I can clarify the situation - as Mrs Rat, I do have a very good idea of what is happening.

Everyone will be asked to pay a certain amount - I believe Alan mentioned about £25 in the first thread. This will cover the cost of hiring the room, food (lunch, tea/coffee etc) and such expenses as are needed for the day itself.

The question about accommodation is a separate issue and will be dealt with separately and at a later date.

Alan needs to pay for the cost of the conference room in order to secure the booking - hence the request for £10 from everyone going. You will be asked for the balance later.

I hope this clarifies the situation for anyone who was not sure as to what the deposit was for.

Sue

Good luck with the planning. The conference is a great idea. I'm already pretty much certain that I won't be able to make it as I'm provisionally booked for some guiding on that day but at least I can raise another voice in support of the idea.

Tom

Loads of good value accomodation within a few miles of this place - I use laterooms for hotels in Brum and they always come up with some good options. Central Brum is a good place for a run-ashore - or so I've been told.

Mrs Rat talks good sense, and to re-iterate - the £25 cost (and £10 deposit) is nothing to do with accomodation or dinner - it is for the day (room hire, lunch, tea, coffee, speaker's expenses).

As I've mentioned a few times, I don't even have the final details on accomodation yet.

Having been fed at the venue at dinner events the food is excellant by the way!!

TT

and I like John's idea of meeting on Friday evening for those of us staying two nights.

Even if a Friday curry were to only be with you and Mrs Rat, then it would be reason enough to book two nights. I owe you both large drinkies.

John

Having been away for a while, I must have missed a few....

Happy to send a cheque for the day (address???), and we will also appreciate overnight for the saturday for the two of us (so Ayesha tells me)

Cheque will be sent as soon as I know how much and to whom, and where.

Bruce

Bruce

£10 per person is needed so that Alan can pay for the room, thereby making the booking firm. The address can be found in the Donations link at the top of the page. Accommodation will be sorted at a later date. Our priority at the moment is simply get the room booked!

Sue

Et moi,

TonyE

If you want a pedantic talk on any aspect of WWI small arms/ammo etc., I can oblige!

if there are any places left let me know, just the one, and nothing for accomodation

matt

Matt - the room can take up to 300 people so lots of places left!

A deposit of £10 secures your place - click on the donations link in my signature for the address for a cheque

Thanks

Alan