Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Booked into the Kensington so I don't have far to stagger back in the pm. Let's hope the change in management has been a success as earlier reviews on Trip Advisor were shocking.

I wound't worry about Trip Advisor (sic). Run by and for people who like to moan and pick holes: I've stopped at several hotels which received poor reviews and never had a problem. Symptomatic of the modern tendency to be swift with the blame, but slow with the praise.

Broomers

I do agree that reviews need to be taken with a pinch of salt - if there is any left after road gritting :).

However I do find Trip Advisor useful for getting a general impression of what a place is like. I went to the Athole B&B in Bath after reading the reviews on TA and it is as good as they say.

Neil

Just signed up with my deposit.

Roy

sad to say will not be able to attend, as am teaching on the wolves uni field trip to Normandy then

matt

historical info officer and trustee of the WFA

There seems to still be a good range of rooms available. Via Laterooms , I managed to get a 4 star hotel inc full breakfast for £49.

Very much looking forward to meeting a good number of Pals.

If anyone from the South-East (I live near Epsom) is interested in sharing a vehicle going up to Birmingham please PM me.

• Admin

Alan

Many thanks for the PM, your inbox is full, but the offer you made was very helpful. I'll get back to you asap.

Michelle

Dear Alan, or Orson, or both,

When do you want the ramainder of the cost? So far, you have had £10 a head (times two in my case since Ayesha is coming), but no inication yet of when you want the rest.

Bruce

Very soon Bruce, look in your inbox tonight!

Great minds..........................

:lol:

Bruce

done it. Eurostar booked, train to Birmingham booked, room in the Kensington booked

do I guess from the last couple of posts that you now want the whole 25 quid? If so, the cheque can go in the post tomorrow. Please advise

cheers Martin B

Hi Martin - yes please - I'll send you an email

Everyone else who has paid a deposit should have got an email a few days ago, with a request for payment and details of the dinner in the evening - if for any reason this hasn't got through, please let me know

Alan

Mine got through, I've sent the balance via Paypal.

Roy

...and both received - thanks Roy and Squirrel

a tad disapointed about the menu; no chips or mushy peas. I am from the Fens you known

Alan, my cheque was posted to you today - hopefully you'll know it's from me, I forgot to say who it was from (unless you remember my real name!!), I did manage to scribble 'From Pighills' on the back of the envelope though :blush: I hope you receive it safely in the next day or so?

I'm presuming the menu was just to inform us what was available and we didn't need to select our choices now???

Chris - they are just sample menus, so you never know...

Kim - thanks - don't worry about menu choices yet - the venue will take orders on the night

Thanks to all who have sent me cheques or used Paypal this week - we've had a very good take up for dinner in the evening, so hopefully those yet to come back to me will opt to stay for that.

Still room for anyone else interested - see here for details

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=127802

Alan

Thanks to all who have sent me cheques or used Paypal this week - we've had a very good take up for dinner in the evening, so hopefully those yet to come back to me will opt to stay for that.

I can send the conference fee balance for the two of us straight away (the original e-mail got lost in the ether between my laptop and desk top; don't ask) but am hedging on the dinner unless they are able to accommodate special dietary requirements, as it might be money wasted, otherwise (sad to say).

EDIT: Balance for Conference fee sent - dinner will follow if/as etc, etc.

Phil - PM sent

For others thinking of eating at the conference, I'm reasonably sure all dietary requirements can be catered for, provided the caterers know in advance - but will happily check with them if you wish.

Alan

Chris - they are just sample menus, so you never know...

Kim - thanks - don't worry about menu choices yet - the venue will take orders on the night

Alan,

My apologies for using this post, suffering technical problems computer down and had to buy a new one, been off the forum since beginning of December, and would like updating re conference etc., To get back on the Forum had to re-register yesterday, could not get back on under my old registration and have changed my E. Mail adress

Regards Cliff Hobson

Alan

Is anything going to be done about name badges for delegates - "real" names as well as names used on the board?

Roger