The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Are we taking over the Kensington?

It seems quite convenient for the Tally Ho!

Bruce

Are we taking over the Kensington?

It seems quite convenient for the Tally Ho!

Bruce

Is that where every one is staying Bruce ?

Peter

A few of us are in various Travelodges too. A little further away but good value.

There certainly seems interest in a Friday night meet up too - over a few beers, or maybe a curry

I have stayed in the Kensington on numerous occasions over the years and there are plenty of good curry shops in the area.

"over a few beers, or maybe a curry "

I was counting on both.

Keith

I think we'll be getting there about 7.30/8.00 pm on the Friday night - we'd be up for it!! :D

Hi Alan,

I just paid using paypal, can you confirm that you received it ok, first time using it .

Peter

Alan,

I could not post a message to you but I have also just paid using paypal to GWF for the first time, at your convenience can you please confirm that you received it?

Much appreciated,

Ian.

Hi Ian - deposit received - many thanks

Alan

PS You'll be able to send and receive private messages once you've passed 10 posts

• Admin

Wayne and I are booked into the Kensington

Michelle

We're staying at the 'Hotel de Maman' (Mum's, for the non-Francophones) and may not be there until 2200, so we may not be able to join you on Friday. And the only thing that stops Helen being perfect is that she hates curry...but Saturday is on.

Unable to to get the time off work to come up on the Friday so will be thrashing up the motorway early Saturday a.m.

Booked into the Kensington folks so we will need to look for a suitable bar nearby for a drink though there is a small bar in the hotel with one or two lounges leading off from it which I am sure the manager would allow us to use as a watering hole for the night...after the trip to the local curry shops of course. :P

Have just booked into the Kensington, so there's no going back"The Irish are coming" (well at least one anyway.......).

Forgot to ask do they have Guinness on tap :o , nothing like a pint of plain after a curry.

Peter

Should we warn the owners of the Kensington about an influx of WW1 anoraks?

They might want to sell!

:lol:

Bruce

They might want to sell!

They may have seriously considered that after the string of complaints logged on Trip Advisor and the resultant sacking of the management.

Have just booked into the Kensington, so there's no going back"The Irish are coming" (well at least one anyway.......).

Forgot to ask do they have Guinness on tap :o , nothing like a pint of plain after a curry.

Peter

Your first pint of the 'black stuff' is on me sir. But be prepared to suffer 'shell shock' as an after effect when I tell you about the greatest battalion of the British Army in the Great War ...the 17th (Glasgow Commercials) of the Highland Light Infantry :D

Selly Park Tavern is your nearest and is only a few hundred yards down the Pershore Road.

Chris you have just reminded me of the Selly Park. I have been there a few times. It is a typical local pub and the locals are friendly enough and it could be used as a base for the members to meet on the Friday...depending of course on how many of us are booked into hotels in that area. I am up for anything if any of you know the city I will go along with the majority.

Can one still say that? :D

The present phrase to use is excess baggage :lol: or shall I get my coat

It is a typical local pub

It's had the Corporate tarting-up, stick-a-few-umbrellas-outside-and-let's-try-to-persuade-them-it's-a-restaurant makeover, but still not too bad.

Bearing in mind the popularity of this event, with over 50 of us anoraks there, I wonder if an agenda brochure might be an idea?

Sponsorship by advertising might allay the costs.

Is there any room for trade stands? They could help with the costs too.

Bruce

Already somewhere in the dim and distant past of this thread said that some stands might be there - no news of who or what though. Someone was even said to be "mounting an exhibition"........................