Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GWF Conference and Dinner 2010

AlanCurragh

Good cheap flight from Hannover to Birmingham on the Friday evening so all systems go. Cheque will be in the post soonest, will need 2 nights if that is possible.

Jim

I have just been over to the post box.....cheque is on the way!

:P

Bruce

My cheque for two is also en route, but will come from a Hertfordshire postmark as there's a post strike in London...

Thanks for the cheques - I think I can now let you know the four esteemed speakers - Bryn Hammond, Charles Fair, Charles Messenger and Peter Hart. Many thanks to them for agreeing to speak.

The likely timetable for the day will be -

10.00 - 10.30 : arriving

10.30 - 11.30 : talk 1 followed by 15 minute break

11.45 - 12.45 : talk 2

12.45 - 14.00 : lunch

14.00 - 15.00 : talk 3 followed by 15 minute break

15.15 - 16.15 : talk 4 followed by 15 minute break

16.30 - 17.30 : talk 5

17.30 - 19.00 - mingling

19.00 onwards - dinner

Still awaiting confirmation regarding the 5th speaker - will update when confirmed

Alan

Gary Sheffield might be good as a speaker- I saw him speak at my son's school and he was excellent... might be cheaper that Richard Holmes as he's on TV less!

Thanks to those who have now sent deposit cheques

If you want to pay your £10 deposit via Paypal, please feel free - follow the Donations link in my signature. I know I suggested I'd prefer cheques earlier in the thread, but if Paypal is easier, please use that. I'd be grateful if you could add 50p though, to cover the Paypal charge

Many thanks

Alan

Have you got enough yet for the deposit?. In other words is it definitely on?

I'm almost halfway to the deposit - 18 people have paid in 3 days. The venue has not pressed me to pay the deposit but will obviously need it sooner rather than later. So if I could encourage everybody else who wants to come to pay their deposit, that would be great.

The conference is definitely happening though - I've put too much work into it already for it not too! :)

Hi Alan,

Can I please take 2 tickets for myself and Mrs G. I will put the cheque in the post today for two deposits.

Many thanks,

Mike

Thanks Mike - any more deposits welcome!

Alan - my cheque went in the post this morning.

Just a bump for those who may have missed this. Tome to cough up the deposit.

Keith

I now have 31 deposits, so thanks to all who have paid so far.

Just a reminder, if you want to come (and I'm sure you do!), please click on the donations link in my signature, and either send a cheque for £10 per person (or make a Paypal payment for £10.50). The final cost for the conference (including lunch, tea and coffee) will be £25, but I won't be asking for the balance until the New Year

Thanks

Alan

This originally started as a DINNER but the word seem to have vanished and its now a conference with a lunch! Don't mind a conference but I sent my deposit assuming a dinner and the consequential get together that would stem from this.

Centurion - I can assure you that the dinner is still part of the event - the venue is booked until 11.00pm, and I am anticipating most attendees will be around for the evening.

If I haven't been mentioning the dinner recently, in fact editing it out of the thread title to make room for the call for deposits, it is simply because I need deposits in to confirm people's attendance for the day. Once that is done, and I will be sending a cheque for the deposit to the venue tomorrow, we don't need to worry about the dinner for a few months. But I will put it back in the thread titles.

The pinned thread sets out the proposed timetable, and includes dinner.

Centurion - I can assure you that the dinner is still part of the event - the venue is booked until 11.00pm, and I am anticipating most attendees will be around for the evening.

If I haven't been mentioning the dinner recently, in fact editing it out of the thread title to make room for the call for deposits, it is simply because I need deposits in to confirm people's attendance for the day. Once that is done, and I will be sending a cheque for the deposit to the venue tomorrow, we don't need to worry about the dinner for a few months. But I will put it back in the thread titles.

The pinned thread sets out the proposed timetable, and includes dinner.

Thanks enchanted rodent.

I haven't been stressing this but I'm rather like Jorrocks, that by now politically incorrect succesor to Pickwick, in that "where I dines I sleeps and where I sleeps I breakfasts". If you are going to act as Town major and be a billeting officer (hopefuly geting us accomodation within Tallyho) please say so, if this is beyond what you are able to do (and I would quite understand - I've been in your shoes) please say so and those like me can get on with it.

Centurion,

see posts 179, 190 and 193. Alan has it all in hand - and a fine job of such a big undertaking he is making of it.

An update on the accommodation - I've spoken to the Police Training College and they've informed me that

(1) the rooms are £29 per night, for a single, not including breakfast and

(2) they are only available to members of the "police family" i.e. those checked by the Criminal Record Bureau!

So I think that is a non-starter - although if you do qualify, please feel free to contact them on 0121 626 5479 ext 3111. Sorry about this, but hopefully we can find good alternatives as follows -

There are three Travelodges (www.travelodge.co.uk) within a mile or so of the Tally Ho Conference Centre - as of this moment, all have "saver" double rooms available at £29, but that rate will only be for a limited number of rooms. The normal flexible rates are £66.

In addition, the conference centre has concessions with the Holiday Inn in central Brimingham (0870 400 8135) - quote "exclusive rates". I've not investigated this, but I am assured by the venue catering manager that the rate should be good.

Thanks to all for your deposits; for your information, I am sending the deposit to the Tally Hoi today

Thanks

Alan

Thanks for all your efforts Magic Rat. Does this mean we book our own accomodation or are you taking things further on the accommodation front?

Alan

Replied by PM before I saw your post. I will contact the place and see if they will take me.

I would also like to echo Squirrel's thanks for all the hard work.

Jim

I think my last CRB is out of date. Anyway - I have booked into the Travelodge at Broadway Plaza. Friday night curry sounds good to me.

Keith

• Admin

Although we both have valid CRB certificates, we have decided to book somewhere else-preferably within staggering distance! Have booked at the Kensington Hotel, Pershore Road, more pricey but as the adverts say I'm worth it!

Michelle