Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Thanx a bunch Chris, definitely the best forum on the internet I have ever seen. Hope the replacements last a few days in the trenches. :unsure:

Bill

Chris,

Can I add my thanks to the list for what you have done over the years for the Forum.

Without your foresight and determination so many of us would still be struggling to find access to such a wealth of information as is held, and freely passed on, by members of the Forum.

It is a fantastic resource and I hope it will long continue under the guiding hands of the new 'owners'.

Best regards and good fortune to you and good luck to the new team.

John

PS May we always be known as 'Baker's Pals'.

Message to the new owners (mods)

Picking up on previous postings, as a way of saying thanks to Chris, would it be possible to change the membership number on each pals posting to read "Bakers Pals, Number"

Would certainly confuse those enlisting in the future :lol:

Andy

Everything I could say has been already said, I think. So I'll restrict myself to saying THANK YOU! Chris, and wish you and the mods the very best of luck with your respective ventures.

Adrian

Chris, thank you for setting up and maintaining such a gripping and informative site. May all your troubles be small ones. Best wishes to the new General Staff.

I can only echo what others have so eloquently expressed previously in this thread.

To think of all the fascinating threads in this and the older forum over the years, and the amount of information both here and on the Long Long Trail site, I can only offer heartfelt thanks and All Best Wishes for the future.

Ken

Hi Chris

I too, would like to add a few words.

I find this website very interesting, and helpful.

When I first started searching for info about my GFather, I received a lot of help from many people.

I continue to check in every day, always something new to discover.

I wish you luck in your new endeavour.

Joan

Good luck in the future Chris. This may be echoing previous statements but this forum has been very helpful to me and for that I thank you deeply.

I haven't read through all 7 pages........but providing only wonderful things have been said about you Chris.......I agree with them all. :wub:

Thank you so much for building this brilliant home for us, and for handing it over to a caring like-minded crew, rather than demolishing it. Enjoy your 'semi-retirement'.

Ever grateful, Frev.

(Oops almost forgot......... and a big thank you 'mods' for your willingness to take on the legacy!)

Chris,

thank you for the Forum. The community you have created will live forever.

Best wishes.

John & Kathleen

CHRIS..As a 'new boy' on this site, many thanks for what you have done for it in the beginning and up to the present. Good luck to those who are running it in the future.

Kind regards..Les <_<

Well done,Chris in starting this Forum which has been invaulable to me in family research,all the best in future ventures

Thanks to the moderators in stepping in to keep it going

Mike

I'd like to add my thanks to you, Chris. I'm fairly new, and not a regular contributor, but I can appreciate the immense amount of work and dedication you have put into the Forum. And I'm grateful that others have been willing to take up the challenge.

Mary

Thanks Chris for what has been one of my first port of calls when I ever come online. You can be proud of what you have done here.

Been in and out over the years since 2002 and going by my posts I should be in the thousands. But we always come back cos theres nothing else like this out there.

Good luck in whatever you do.

Aye

James

Another addition of thanks for the past 5+ years. And good wishes and the best of luck to the future caretakers.

Sue

Many thanks indeed Chris for your vision and huge committment over the years. You have done more to bring knowledge of the Great War to the masses than, dare I say, anyone else (certainly more than the schools do). Your legacy is a forum that is probably the best on the web, certainly the most informative, grown-up and civil. I know for a fact that without the help of the GWF our village memorial project here in Norfolk would have hit the buffers, or at the least would have been far more difficult and slower. Good luck to you now that you're a free man again!!

Chris Johnson aka Lionboxer.

Just can add more of what's been said, a big thank you for such a wonderful resource, very best of wishes for the future to you Chris and the people who are going to continue your great work.

Evelyn

nearly five hours since the last post.......so let me be one of the last to say...

Many thanks Chris for creating the best forum on the internet - regardless of subject - and good luck with the new adventure.

good luck too to the new owners, I'm sure they will look after us.

cheers

Mike

Chris

Thanks and then some.

Mike S

Cjris,

May I add my thanks to the many, being one of the originals, I probably have more reason to be grateful for the help and the knowlege given from your endeavours, my sincere best wishes for the future.

Cliff. Hobson

Nice to see the 1st Battalion Baker Pals [membership numbers up to 1000] prominent in their thanks.

Age shall not weary them .......

Many thanks, Chris, from this side of the Atlantic. There's something to be learned here every time I visit. Best of luck to the new owners, I look forward to the forum for years to come.

Rod

Happy to echo the sentiments of all those above. Quite something you created Chris.

I don't post as much now as in times gone by but still with the entire internet out there I am happy to say this site remains my homepage as it has been for many years now and my first action on booting up is still to click on 'VNP' at the GWF.

All of the above and more Chris, the site has been a real eye opener regarding WW1 and I have learnt so much all thanks to you beginning this site

Many thanks

Ken

Chris,

Many thanks for all of your hard work in the past.

Good luck in any future ventures.

Good luck to the new owners.

Thank You again.

Ian. ;)