Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Chris: Thank you very much for the great amount of work and finances that you have contributed over the years to make this the great forum that it is. I am sure that the new owners (moderators) will strive to continue the great work that you began. Best wishes for the future. Dick Flory

Indeed, Chris fantastic job, well done and thank you, and to the new owners thank you also for taking on the responsibility and preserving this valued research tool and of course good luck with the future.

Kind Regards

Steve

I would like to tell you a story, its not long but it demonstrates what one man can achieve.

In 2003 a rather tubby chap had a mild fascination with two Great War Generals and was searching the web when he stumbled upon a WW1 forum. Not thinking anything would come of it he joined up and asked a few questions.

Five years later that chap, has met relatives of one of those men. Joined the WFA and gained many friends, some I class as close, in that organisation. Drank beer til the wee hours with some great people, I like to call friends, on two battlefield tours. Joined and benefited from ties to Birmingham University. Learnt more about a subject than I could ever have dreamed. All of this and I mean all of this, was possible because one man created this forum. All those leads and contacts, friends and experiences came from joining this forum. I say to anyone who says one man can not influence much is talking horse S**t.

It is with a heavy heart I take in this news. Whilst I know most of the moderators, many who have contributed to the above, and know they will continue the good job, I can not help feeling that an era has come to an end.

So thank you Chris, if you pop in to Skindles I'll stand you a drink, and that doesn't happen often.

Regards

Andy

Many thanks for all the very hard work you have put in over the years - the set up alone must have been a nightmare and the maintenance a permanent drain on time and energy.

Good luck to the team that follows you.

So thank you Chris, if you pop in to Skindles I'll stand you a drink, and that doesn't happen often.

And if you can face another after supping from the "Holy Grail" i.e getting a drink off Arm, I'll buy you a proper Scottish beer or 2.

Well done Chris for all your endevours.

Congratulations, Chris, on creating a superb website and one of the most important forums on the web. I have learnt so much here and felt at home immediately in the atmosphere created by the postings of the great family of GWF. Not only do I check new posts daily - but often come on here when I have had a bad day at work and need to know that there are really decent people out here in cyberspace. This site is something to be proud of and I am sure it will grow onwards and upwards under the new management.

Master of the web - enjoy your blighty one, you've earned it! B)

Chris,

I'm sure I speak for many thousands of forum users in saying a heart felt THANK YOU for what you have achieved. I hope the future will echo the successes of the past and that the forum will go from strength to strength.

I wish you well.

Martin

Chris, I would like to say thank you for all you have done on this site and the excellent way you have handled things - Regards

RD

I am in awe at what you have achieved. Like others, I wish I had found the GWF earlier, and thank you most sincerely for your work

Diolch yn fawr.

Geraint

We've never met and I've only been here a short time, but I've found this forum extemely helpful and want to thank you for the hard work and time you have put into this venture.

Cheers, and good luck with your new direction.

thanks Chris, been out to work all day just got on to find this.. just before the midnight curfew.

maybe recognition in HM's birthday honours???.

Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs! :o Thanks, Chris, for providing what has become one of the friendliest, helpfulest places on this here internet thingy. And, as many have observed, one of, if not THE, essential sites for all matters WW1.

Good luck in your future ventures, and good luck to the mods - sorry, Great War Forum Ltd - in their new role.

Jim

Chris,

Thank you for providing all of us with a meeting place to ask and learn, tell and teach in equal measure.

To you from failing hands we throw

The torch; be yours to hold it high.

Nigel

Thank you Chris :)

Everyone else pinched most of my words so this is the only one I could find that they didn't :wub:

Thanks to the Mods and Good Luck :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Well done Chris, I don't respond to many of the postings, but I do read lots of them. Thank you for all your past work and good luck to the new guys!

Peter

Thank you very much Chris for all you have done. I have been interested in WW1 for many years, but my knowledge and understanding has increased exponentially since joining the forum; I would never had time to read the equivalent number of books! And I have made some very good friends via the forum.

I trust you will be able to work through your change in circumstances.

Very selfishly, I often wondered what would happen to the forum if Chris fell under the proverbial bus (though of course what happened to Chris would have been more important!). But for the forum to be a limited company managed by several people is much more secure; several thousand people across the world have breathed a sigh of relief.

Adrian

Thank you Chris .

I think this forum on its own is keeping the Alzheimers at bay , it is always so fascinating .

Thank you for two wonderful sites . You are an inspiration !

Linden

Thank you so very much. Your creation has been of inestimatable value to all of us. Best wishes for the future. Cheers, Bill

As a new member, thank you Chris for the institution you have brought to the net.

The site is legendary and due to your hard work many thousands have a home to discuss their interest in the Great War.

All the best in your future endeavours.

Geoff

Chris

I would like to thank you for all the personal enjoyment the GWF has brought me - take care & good luck

Chris

G'onya Chris!

Good luck with your other ventures!

Jim

Thanks Chris, all the best in what ever you do next, and also thanks to the Mods for picking up the baton.

Dean.