Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Chris

All I can say is "Thank you",as without this site I and many others may have given up on our search and it would have been a disservice to all our forebears who gave so much .

I look forward to many more years of being part of this extended family and wish you all the best for the future.

Thanks again.

John

Thank you Chris for all that you have done for us in the past.

As for the future, GOOD LUCK to the new company.

Best wishes to all

Martin

Chris

this may become the largest thread the GWF has ever seen - particularly if every member thanks you.

May I just add my personal thanks, wish you well and thank the Moderators for taking the reins.

Although the words are usually spoken in regards to our departed, they may be appropriate here:

Lest We Forget.

Kindest regards

Pop (Sean McManus)

I have only just seen this announcement as, ironically, I couldn't seem to access the Forum yesterday evening. Perhaps too many people were logged on contributing to this thread! I can't say much that hasn't already been said here. The Forum has become my first port of call when I log on to the computer; it has provided a wealth of information for my school battlefield tours, private trips and enquiries about their relatives from numerous friends and colleagues. People are routinely amazed by the information the worldwide network of Forum Pals is able to unearth. Great War research owes an incalculable debt to Chris and the fantasic community which he has created.

Everyone has said it already - but again - Thanks to Chris for all he has done to aid so many people in the past - and best wishes for the future of the GWF

Cheers

Sue

Chris, thanks to you, the members and new-found friends on this Forum, we have found rare and precious information about our relatives, old boys of our school, visited the Western Front, and the interest grows in many other aspects of the Great War. A heartfelt thanks from both of us, and to the new team for continuing this valuable resource and place of friendship.

Cheers

Shirley and Chris Durrant

Cheers Chris

Hope to see you in the OC's. Best of luck in your future ventures and thankyou to the rest of the Moderators for taking over the Forum.

Terry

Chris

Thank you very much for the forum and what it has achieved and done for myself and all the 1000's of other people that have gained because of it. Best wishes for your future and good luck and thanks to the new owners for taking it on.

Heres to the future

Stephen

Chris,

Thank you for all the wonderful hours you have given to thousands of us.

You are modest to a fault: who would think of saying farewell in the CHIT-CHAT section?

Good luck to the new team.

All the best,

Fred

Well Chris, the end of an era!

Thank you for creating and providing such an informative and entertaining forum for all these years. I wish you the best with your new ventures.

Moderator owners, congratulations and thanks for taking on the GWF. It is excellent news that the Forum will continue in safe hands.

Myrtle

Hello Chris,

All the very best mate, and thanks for creating the very best WW1 forum on the net. Good luck for the future.

The moderators are a great lot and I know will continue in the same vein as Chris.

All the best Chris and to the moderators for the future.

Nige

I too would like to thank you, Chris, for this wonderful research tool and wish you all the best in the future. I have learned more from the GWF than all the books I have and your contribution to the field of Great War research is profound.

As to the new management, I for one welcome our new evil overlords :)

James O'Hara

There is no better commendation than creating the best military web site on the net and a model for any other genre. Many, many thanks to Chris.

Plus la change plus la meme chose! (I think)

Chris

I too would like to extend my thanks and gratitude to you for creating the Forum and all you work ( and patience ) in keeping it running. You have created something which is invaluable, a gathering of like minded people sharing their knowledge and experiences with others. We are truly a gathering of Pals.

Good luck for the future.

I would also like to wish Terry Denham and Co all the best well in their new venture. With them, I know that Chris is leaving the Forum in very capable hands.

What more can one say?

Simply;

Thanks, Chris.

Good luck to the new team - I have every faith in the future of this fantastic site.

Roxy

Chris

All I can say is "Thank you",as without this site I and many others may have given up on our search and it would have been a disservice to all our forebears who gave so much .

I look forward to many more years of being part of this extended family and wish you all the best for the future.

Thanks again.

John

Chris, This post (and all the others) echo my sentiments exactly. ALL THE BEST. Ralph.

I'd just like to say thank you to Chris,this forum is a great achievement, and good luck to the new management...

Barbara

Cor blimey. Good luck Chris with whatever is going to fill your future time. Continued thanks for your help and for the amazing facility that The Long, Long Trail has become. And thanks again for the lift on the way to Verdun !

Mike

Chris - ....................I simply don't know what to say. I'm unsure if you truely realise what an affect all your hard work has had on so many people. Your creation has been my refuge in the last five years when the pressures of work or family meant I needed to get away & escape somewhere. It has led me to meet people who have become my friends................as has been said Thank you doesn't really cut it but I'll say it anyway.

Thanks Chris

Will O'Brien, proud to be a member of the 1st Battalion, Baker Pals

Well put Will

Many thanks for all your work here Chris

and good luck for the future

Welcome to the new owners

[What shall we call them - The Magnificent Seven - the septemviri ?

Ideas on a post card please, to The Great War Forum Ltd]

with very best regards

Michael

Chris thank you for everything that you have done. This is a wonderful creation and I look forward to continuing my active participation under the new moderators.

Pals, I am really grateful for your kind comments and for your support for the new team.

It's already nice to be relieved from the day to day duties!

Yesterday was quite a momentous day for me. I gave up working for someone else, hopefully for the last time. After an early career in engineering/manufacturing, then 23 years working as a consultant largely to those industries, I am a free man. I intend to spend most of my time carrying out soldier and other military research through my business (see signature), which is just going totally berserk. I just could could not keep up with it while working full-time. That, plus a new WW1-internet-related business idea that I have and which is likely to take up a good chunk of my time, is the prime reason for my "departure".

So I will definitely still be around and once the idea has germinated, I'll invite you to take a look. Not on the Forum though. Advertising. Wouldn't want to fall foul of the Mods!

Wow! Miss a day on the forum and wow!

Thank you Chris, for starting and growing a site that has become a haven, an encylopedia, a family, and a place that people from many cultures can share one voice, and explore each other's knowledge and culture.

A rare and wonderful site.

Thank you.

To the Mag Seven, oh boy, have you got your hands full now!! B)

Was wondering how come Peter and Terry (online at the time) got their promotions to Chris's Red Ink!

Best wishes to the Mods/New owners, and here's to a seamless transfer.

Cheers to the New Team.

Kim