Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Chris,

Thanks a mil. for your work and dedication. You've made and will still make a lot of people happy!

Cheers,

Michael

Thank you Chris and all good fortune for whatever you have lined up to keep you out of mischief.

All good wishes

Jacksmum

How many ways are there of saying Thank You Chris, all of us who share an interest in The Great War are indebted to you. Good luck in whatever your new venture may be.

To the New Team, I'm grateful to you for 'picking up the ball and running with it', we wish you well.

Keith

To the new owners, please let us know in advance if you are going to take the site commercial in any form and/or change any of the access rules and regulations that are currently in place. We have all been here to date as "Pals of Chis Baker".

Please be assured that no such plans are on the horizon. Who knows where things may go in the future, but remember that we too are 'Pals'. As such, maintaining the quality and the ethos of the site as established by Chris is our paramount concern. It ain't broken, so there's nothing much to fix.

May I also express my gratitude to Chris. As one of the people from the old WFA forum and the original incarnations of what became the GWF in 2002 I have benefited time and again from so many people that I could not possibly count them all. This was only possible because someone had the vision, skill and commitment to setting up, developing and maintaining these forums. That man is Chris Baker. Thank you Chris.

Thanks for everything Chris. Good luck with your future plans. I think this forum was the single biggest contribution to my becoming interested in WW1.

Glad to hear that the forum is in safe and capable hands, and there appears to be a seamless transition.

Best regards,

Matthew

Although a "watcher" rather than a contributor, may I add my thanks to those already expressed. It is a great forum and long may it contunue. I have learnt much over the past few years - even though I have progressed very little on my own researches.

Good luck to you Chris

Regards

Jan

Chris: I cannot thank you enough for providing such an excellent, ethical forum, the use of which has allowed me to reach out and touch my past. God bless you. Antony.

Been away for a few days and just read the "news". At first, my heart sank. That the Mods are taking up the cudgel so to speak is a welcome relief but I still feel a sense of loss. I can only say that this site is made up of a membership who will go the extra mile to help others and do it with enthusiasm. They also share the joy at the progress made along the, sometimes, long and hard road of 'researching a soldier'. I believe this to be the result of Chris's personal leadership and am sorry to see him go (no, he hasn't paid me to say any of this!).

I am delighted, though, that the Mods are continuing with the enterprise and wish them every success although I am sure they'll understand if I say that Chris will be missed.

Raising a glass to him.

Mabel

Dear Chris,

You realised something most people only can dream about. A superb international forum, bringing people together from all corners of the world, to discuss the one thing that brings them all together in this great place, World War One.

Whatever the reason may be someone joined the forum, for many of us it concerns Remembrance, and we're convinced that was also your reason for founding this forum.

We can only say what so many others have said here before, a very sincere thank you very, very much !

We would like to wish you all the best and hope that you will stay around.

To the new crew we would like to say, take care of his baby ! It is a great place to be, you did a great job as moderators, keep up the good work Chris and you all did.

Best regards,

Yvonne Heslinga

Johan Ryheul

Admins

Dutch/Flemish WW I Forum

Chris,

Very many thanks for having the "Forum" idea in the first place and for so generously handing it on to new custodians.

All members I am sure will have benefitted from their membership; I know I have.

Best regards,

Mark

Thanks Chris and good luck.

After reading all the testimonials, there’s little new to say except you are truly MID.

Oh my ... I almost fell off the chair when I saw the heading.

Chris, all the best for your new endeavours and many thanks for your Herculean efforts. Hope to still "see" you around the Forum in the future.

Thanks also to the mods for their work to date and for stepping up to the next level.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

I've only been a member for a couple of months, but in that short time I've learned a lot from the very friendly and helpful members here. When you created this forum, you created something very great and special. I want to thank you for putting this forum together so guys like me would have a resource to turn to when researching battles, units, medals, etc. It is certainly something to be extremely proud of.

Best of luck in your future endeavors, and I hope to continue seeing you here on the forum.

Thank you again,

Jeff C.

all the very best chris and a big thank you . tony

Well done Chris and the best of luck to you in the future.

Regards. Llew.

Chris

Best of luck with your future projects, you may have to be weened off this site slowly as you may get withdrawal symptoms.

John

Chris,

May i pass on my heart felt thanks for the wonderful cyber world you have brought us into. Thanks for all the hard work that has gone into getting the Forum where it is.

It will be sad to see you stand down

Definitely Chris has created a unique Forum (and I've been a member of a number of military Fora). I like this one best.

Thanks Chris.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris,

Just like to add my grateful thanks for producing such a wonderful site. Good luck also to the mods for agreeing to take up the baton and run with it.

Kind regards,

Eric.

Many thanks Chris.

I have found the forum so interesting and have learnt an enormous lot through it.

You created a brilliant site and should be very proud of yourself.

Thank you

Trish

Chris,

What a wonderful resource you created. Well done, thank you and all the best for the future.

Good luck to the new owners and Mods.

Regards Frances