Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Many pals will be aware that I am the owner of the Great War Forum. It has been my baby, an offshoot of my content site The Long, Long Trail since 1996, although in its present guise since 2002.

A recent change in my personal circumstances means that I am now much less able to devote time and attention to the Forum and I decided some while ago that the time had come to move on. I faced a number of options: essentially they were to close the Forum or to find others who would pick it up. The latter is no mean undertaking for it means not only dedicating time, but the acceptance of a financial and legal burden.

I am delighted that discussions with the current group of moderators have led to them accepting the challenge. Ownership of the Forum is passing to them. They will explain their position and thoughts in due course.

For the Forum as an institution, a community and a repository, this is tremendous news. Its future is much more secure in the hands of a group than in continuing to rely on one individual. For me as an individual, it releases the time I need to pursue other ventures, some of which no doubt I shall explain in due course. I am not leaving, for I will remain as a member of the Forum, will willingly provide technical help to the new team should they need it, and for a while at least will remain as a moderator while relinquishing my duties as system administrator.

I am very proud of what I have achieved, and of what we have collectively achieved. The Great War Forum is assuredly a pre-eminent, valued, reference and community website - a model of what can be achieved on the internet. I am pleased that we have held it together and that it has continued to flourish despite the best efforts of hackers, spammers and fools who have thought it acceptable to abuse a facility freely provided. The fact that we have achieved so much is to the credit to the hardcore of our community and I have no doubt that the Forum will continue to go from strength to strength under its new leadership.

You will see some small changes on the site, connected to the change of ownership. The main link to The Long, Long Trail will remain as a condition of the change of ownership, but links to my own donations page, Amazon bookshop, etc will disappear and new ones installed in due course.

Good luck to the new owners and my sincere thanks to you.

THE GREAT WAR FORUM

A Statement from the new owners, The Great War Forum Ltd

Members will have seen Chris Baker’s announcement about his future role within the Great War Forum and will naturally be considering what this means for the Forum itself.

Chris has transferred ownership of GWF to the moderating team who now own and operate this site through their company, The Great War Forum Ltd. Chris has very generously transferred ownership without any form of payment or other remuneration from us. He will also be providing technical guidance in the immediate future. The Long Long Trail will remain in Chris' ownership but will still be linked to the Forum just as it is now.

We wish to stress that it is ‘Business as Usual’ on the GWF. The change of ownership should not even be noticed by Forum members as there are no plans to alter the style, structure, content or ethos of the Forum itself. The Forum's survival still depends on voluntary donations and will continue to be run on this basis for the foreseeable future. Our aim is to continue to run the Forum for the benefit of its members and we will always be open to suggestions for improvements or additional facilities and features.

Each of the new owners will play an active role in the running of the Great War Forum, with Matt Dixon looking after the legal aspects, Terry Denham and Peter Beckett looking after the technical side and the finances will be the responsibility of Andrew Hesketh and Terry Denham. Please bear with us over the next few weeks if any technical issues arise as we will all be on a learning curve even though Chris will still be here to help us. Chris will remain as a Moderator and we shall all continue in this role as well. Most importantly, we all continue as enthusiastic members of the GWF, sharing and contributing to this unique resource alongside thousands of fellow registrants.

The new structure may come as a surprise to active members but we hope it will be seen as a step forward, especially as one of the alternatives considered by Chris was to close the Forum permanently. This solution was Chris Baker's own suggestion and it was readily accepted by the moderating team – despite the increased workload!

We are happy to answer questions but we ask that you bear with us over the coming few weeks as each of us will be settling into our new roles and may be a little busy! However, we would like to say ‘Thank You’ to Chris for creating the Great War Forum and for his excellent management. He can justifiably be proud of his achievement. The international Great War community will forever be in his debt.

Alison Arnold, Peter Beckett, Terry Denham, Matt Dixon, Andrew Hesketh, Terry Reeves, Kate Wills

25th April 2008

Chris,

I'm sure I speak for many thousands of forum users in saying a heart felt THANK YOU for what you have achieved. I hope the future will echo the successes of the past and that the forum will go from strength to strength.

I wish you well.

Martin

Well,dont stray too far Chris.

Be a great weight off your mind.

Thanks for all that,

Dave.

Chris

You founded agreat internet institution and I for one am glad that it will continue to be the place of first resort for all questions relating to the Great War. Well done.

Jack

A bolt from the azure!

We should all be immensely grateful to Chris and perhaps we can collectively appoint him honorary life moderator [with few if any duties involved].

Enormous thanks, too, to the Mods who are taking on the burden. There would have been dreadful withdrawal symptoms felt internationally had the closure option been taken.

Thanks again and good luck to the new owners.

Daggers

May I add my heartfelt thanks Chris - you've done a tremendous job and should justifiably feel extremely proud of what you have achieved.

THANK YOU

Chris

I am sure I speak for the majority when I say a sincere thank you for your vision and all your efforts. Best of luck with your new ventures and good luck to the new team. I have found the Forum a great help and support in my own work and - with few exceptions - a place where like minded can anorak together in mutual help and support and without agro or willfull misunderstanding

So thanks mate.

Very best regards

David.

Whilst you've given your reasons for needing to move on Chris, you are without doubt leaving a terrific legacy in the remarkable resource that is the forum you created. Many thanks to you for that.

For the new team: It's certainly reassuring to read that members are unlikely to notice any changes to the forum. One question: 'Great War Forum Ltd' - is this to be a profit-making business, or is the designation of limited company simply a legal requirement to protect those now running it from individual liability?

ciao,

GAC

My thanks too, a great forum and I only wish I had found it sooner! Also my thanks to the new team. Without individuals prepared to take this on there would be no forum.

Many many thanks to all

TT

Considering I "blame" Chris for the many hours I have spent checking in and out of the Forum in the few years I have been a member, I have to admit that it has given me a tremendous amount of information in my research of family members and great pleasure in reading others posts. I wish him all the best in what ever his new endevours are.

As to the new owners can you please advise which of you I can now "blame" for my obsession with the Forum.

On a commercial note, as this is now being run as a Limited Company, have you considered selling shares. If so, I will be prepared to buy, buy, buy! Please let me know.

Best wishes to you all,

Norman

GAC

It is set up as a limited company for the reasons you surmise. As stated there are no plans to change the way the Forum is run.

All the very best in your new ventures Chris , may they be as welcome as the forum has been to many of us.

I trust the new owners will carry on with your good work , I don't envy them all the time & energy involved.

The best of luck & thank you.

Regards.

Colin.

Although I'm still very new here

I feel sure that everyone will join me

in a rousing and heartfelt rendition of

"FOR HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW!"

Three Cheers for all your incredible dedication!

Best Foot Forward!

A big thank you*,Chris, for providing a means to develope what started off as a passing interest. And another one for allowing your work to continue.

The king is dead. Long live the King!

*Diolch yn Fawr

Hywyn

What can I say...............except thank you Chris for all your hard work on the site.

What has been created is special as I've said many times.

You have made it a civilised place to come.

I'm particularly grateful for the way it's being handed over to the mods. no better way forward and a relief.

Thanks again to you Chris, to the mods and all those who contribute.

I hope that all pals will get behind the team.

Steady as she goes. ;)

Stephen

Chris,

I like many others have and will continue to glean many hours of enjoyment, & Knowledge, that the GWF communtity brings.

I want to Thank you for starting and building it up in the first place and a big thanks to the mods who are taking up the challenge for the future of the Forum.

And Good luck with your future endeavour's

Kindest Regards

Chris

Chris,

I only joined the forum a few days ago, but I am already discovering just how fantastic it is.

It is a brilliant achievement on your part.

Good luck for the future,

Carole.

Thanks Chris - without this Forum I may never have become interested in this subject and now have a new passion which will be with me for life. Quite an achievement on your part! Thanks again and hello to the new team,

Mark

Wow that's a shock Chris.

This Forum has become my second home and I have learnt so much from the Long Long Trail and the Forum.

Thank you for everything and best wishes in the future

Jane

Thanks Chris for starting what has been for me a wonderful place to visit (far to often)

Good luck to the new owners and lets carry on going from strength to strength.

Glyn

Chris.

I know you are not leaving as such but this seems a good moment to say many, many thanks for everything you have done over the last few years in instigating and maintaining what has to be the best Great War resource in the world outside those provided by national organisations/governments. For 1 person to have done this is nothing short of miraculous and much appreciated by everyone who has had the fortune to come across your site.

The subject of the long term future of the Forum was raised a while back and this seems to be a very sensible step in ensuring that it continues. Hopefully there will be plenty of people in the years ahead prepared to take up the baton of managing the site.

Also many thanks to the Mods for being the first to take up that baton!

Neil

Well, well

I had a sort of premonition as I was weeding the garden this afternoon -- what would happen if Chris couldn't carry on, I thought.

Well, now we know -- a seemingly seamless transfer from an absolute monarchy to an oligarchy. I presume we will be told in due course where to send our cash in future.

Chris, you are leaving behind you a creation you can be very proud of. I am glad to know we will still read your contgributions from time to time. Many, many thanks for what you have done and wishing you all the best in your forthcoming projects.

cheers Martin B

"I am very proud of what I have achieved"

And so you should be Chris - can I add my thanks to you for founding such an incredible site. My input has been limited but I count this site as a real learning resource and it is the only one I log onto each day. What's more, the site is a tremendous tribute to those who gave their all in WW1

Good luck and best wishes for the future

Thanks also to the mods for accepting the responsibility of running it from now on - it would have beeen a very sad loss to see its demise - thank you all.

Phil