Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

With contributers so varied and with so many different interests, attitudes and temperaments it would have been an unachievable goal to please all of the people all of the time but I think that Chris came about as close as humanly possible. Many thanks

A number of months ago white looking at some old family papers I came across a reference to a Granduncle that had served in the Great War ,all I had was a name and the place in Ireland where he came from, when I started to research him it was hard going ,then I came across "The Great Forum" and within days of joining I found out from the "pals" a heap of informationabout him,

this is all down to Chris, like a lot of Pals we use the forum every day (some time's to much) we gain information and some times put back some, your site has not only educated but also entertained us, thank you Chris for everything. Peter

Chris: A tremendous feat to create and maintain this forum, thank you indeed, and ..."Carry On".......jack

Chris. Good luck in your new ventures.

Who could of guessed where it would lead, when we migrated from the Western Front site all that time ago.

Many names from those days are not still with us, but glad to see how many still are.

You created something to be proud of.

Chris,

Good luck in the future. The forum initially did a lot to enhance my interest in the Gt War, so I can't say what I would know without it. Many Thanks

Steve

Hi,

I thought Chris might have given this forum lark a fair crack of the whip, just to see if it caught on. Instead he jumps ship with only 19.490 members and a paltry 727,717 posts!

;)

Well done Chris, so much so that I just wanted to come back and thank you twice.

Brilliant stuff,

Nigel

Chris. Just to say thanks for allowing me and so many others to venture into the battlefield that is so often WW1.......................it has brought an understanding of distant times, places and people and reinforces that knowledge that there are people such as us who will never forget

My Best regards

Steve

Chris,

I am really sorry to hear that you are bowing out. I think we are all impressed with your generosity in time, effort, and initiative in setting up the Great War Forum; and how it is run. You have brought together kindred spirits from all over the globe with either a passing interest or passion for the Great War. You have also set up a focal point of collective and wide-ranging expertise, about the Great War, which is most probably second to none.

I wish you all the very best and I am grateful that your generosity also extends to allowing The Forum to continue. Hopefully, you’ll have a bit more time to do other things and possibly spend a wee bit of time on this side of the server, along with carrying on with your own areas of interest concerning the Great War.

Slainte

Yours Aye

Tom McCluskey

Bit of a shock to come back to this: Humph dies and Chris stands down. Must be a coincidence........

Cheers, Chris, and a long and happy retirement.

Out of the country for a few days and the world turns upside down! Enjoy your new found freedom Chris - thanks for the forum and all it means to all of us who use it - may your new ventures whatever they may be be successful and most of all enjoyable.

I wish to say 'well done' Chris for a job done. This site is far more important then what I and most think it is, it is a piece of social history it keeps the memories of the fallen alive (which they deserve). I am a firm believer that our history makes us what we are and given that that this type of history is, I feel neglected within our education system, it is even more important that this site continues. This site is a national treasure.

god bless Chris Baker ;)

regards delboy

This is the first visit for some time, and I was a little surprised at what I had missed. It appears the forum came within a whisker of closing! And to think, I might have been none the wiser if I hadn't needed to post another A level thread... Anyway, I can only add my heartfelt thanks to everyone else's, and I'm sure they've all expressed it in more eloquent/amusing terms that I have. It's been wonderful, and may it long continue. I have no doubt that the forum's operation will continue to be enviably efficient, and that it will be a resource of indispensable usefulness to all researching, or with an interest in, the Great War.

All the very best folks!

Thanks, Chris.

You have presented the world with a forum that has become the most comprehensive and informative WW1 resource ever.

No crusty academics or pontificating self-declared experts but a few hundred passionate people willing to share their knowledge with a hungry audience. Who are legion, and grateful.

We know who to turn to for advice and expertise; we post the most obscure requests and someone always comes good; we treat newcomers, innocents and genealogists with respect, no matter how inane their requests.

We are a community. We live amongst each other, generally very well. There's spats and fallouts, sensitive souls and ar'souls, sacrifices and losses, but generally it muddles along.

And there's a whole raft of stuff off-topic, where some members truly come alive.

I'm proud to be a member of this noble band, to have enjoyed an immense amount of assistance with the drill hall project, to have assisted many others in various areas, and to have made some wonderful e-friends.

Enjoy your cyber-retirement, Chris. You've enriched many lives along the way.

And I endorse and support the lunatic bunch of mods who've taken up the mantle......

Graeme

Member 42 signing in from Canada. Not only a GWF member but a client of Chris's.

Thanks to all and good luck to all, from one of the many Colonials.

Chris - does this mean you can now do more work for us?

To the new owners, please let us know in advance if you are going to take the site commercial in any form and/or change any of the access rules and regulations that are currently in place. We have all been here to date as "Pals of Chis Baker".

Best regards from Canada,

Richard

Well done Chris. Your time and effort with the forum are much appreciated on my behalf. May you have success with whatever you do.

A big thank you to Chris and good luck with whatever you now decide to do.

Thanks to the moderators for being prepared to save a great internet institution and Chris for allowing them to.

Spike

There's no doubt that Chris has created not only the finest WW1 forum in the world but quite possibly the finest forum of any kind. The thousands upon thousands of members and the immense numbers of posts clearly display this fact. That we all live relatively harmoniously together is a credit to Chris (and the mods) and the amount of information that has been shared and discovered in this place is incalculable. I wonder how many books, films, research etc have included information found here on the forum - loads I suspect.

On a personal note, I'd just like to offer my thanks to Chris for providing us with this forum. Through it's pages I have found so many friends (and some especially close ones) around the globe who share my passion. Without these wonderful people, my trip to the battlesfields last year may never have been realized and it certainly wouldn't have been anywhere near as fullfilling nor as much fun.

Congrats again Chris. You've left this place as a shining example to internet forum communities.

Thanks also to the mods who agreed to take on the onerous task of running this place. I'm certain it's in very good hands and look forward to many more years of participation. (I've got to be nice to them cos' one of the new owners just lives down the road!!! :D )

Cheers,

Tim L.

A little bit of "what if?" thinking here - I recall (and it was all set out on the open internet, so no confidences breached), at a time, a year or two back, when the GWF was going through a periodic navel-gazing process, that an ex-member of the Forum offered, in an open letter to Chris, to take the GWF off his hands. It didn't happen, of course, but --- well, what if....?

(The other forum with which the said ex-member was linked appears to have gone to meet its maker some few months ago)

B)

Just want to add my thanks to Chris and wish you the very best for the future. The GWF is the best thing on the internet and Im delighted that a group of moderaters have taken over to keep it going. Go raibh míle maith agat a chara.

It didn't happen, of course, but --- well, what if....?

Well, Jim, it may have already reached dizzy new heights and we'd be sat here wishing that Baker bloke had flogged it off even earlier......

Whoops. Sorry, Jim.

Had to duck down there for a minute. Pig just flew past.

John

Just to add my two pennath, thanks Chris for all your hard work in setting up and running what is such a wonderful site. I am always astounded at the amount of information freely available from forum members which I doubt I would have got anywhere else. Good luck in any future ventures

Also a big thanks to the team of moderators who have agreed to take over the running of the forum

Patrick