Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

Chris thanks for all your work on the forum.

This has become a fantastic resource.

An open book.

I would never have been able to find out about my Great Grandfather and honour his memory properly without this place.

Thanks for creating it.

All the very best with your future ventures.

Being a free man is always good.

Given that the forum has been going for longer than the war itself, you fully deserve to be transferred to the reserve!

All the best for the future, see you round.

Thanks Chris for this great forum and all you previous hard work, good liuck with your future ventures.

Regards Doug.

From across the Pond, the very best of British and Canadian luck and fond wishes for continuing success to Chris Baker, and to Matt Dixon, Terry Denham, Peter Beckett, and Andrew Hesketh.

It's been a great five years (for me).

Peter in B.C.

Chris,

I would like to add my appreciation of your efforts. I came to the forum via the WFA and have been constantly amazed by the wealth of information, comment and humour that became available to me.

May good fortune follow you.

Old Tom

Chris,

A thankyou from the "Rock" (Newfoundland). With the help of the GWF I found out more about my ancestors in a few posts than probably spending years elsewhere. The knowledge base of this forum is incredible.

Although I do not necessarily post, I do enjoy reading many of the threads on areas of the Great War that I previously did not know.

Thank you and good luck.

"Long may your big jib draw."

Ed

hi chris...long long trail got me hooked,that started the medal collecting, then the research on ww1 stuff via this giant encycolpia of knowledge,..i have you to blame, and thank , i am always gaining info and help from this your baby and i am happy to see it grow...good luck in what ever you do and keep us all posted..regards...jim :rolleyes:

I must also say thank you to Chris, this forum is a fantastic achievement, and you should be proud of it. Good luck to you for the future. And good luck to the new management, you have a class act to follow.

Some people build things and some people live in them. I hope that whatever you build next will be equally successful, Chris.

With very best wishes from one of your very first inhabitants,

Gwyn

Thank you for your expense, time, effort, equanimity and above all for sharing your encyclopaedic knowledge.

All the best for the future Chris; this website is testament to your public spirited nature! I'm sure you are leaving it in very capable hands.

Martin

It's all been said in the previous posts Chris..............THANK YOU!

regards for the future

Tom

Chris

To have achieved the creation of the worlds foremost Great War encyclopaedia is a legacy you can be justifiably proud of.

My sincere wishes to the new owners, thanks for being brave enough to take this on, and may I kindly request that for their first task they honour Chris by moving his leaving card (this thread) from chit chat to where it surely belongs in Classic threads.

Best of luck with your new ventures

Andy

Chris

I haven't been a member for long but I would like to thank you for all the friends I have "met" on this Forum and for all I have learnt from them and the Forum itself.

I wish you all best wishes in everything you do and would like to say a big thank you to the new owners taking on such a fantastic site

Diane

Chris,

Thanks for creating a unique forum for a unique war. I've been here from nearly the beginning and have learnt much, made friends and made the odd (in more ways than one!) contribution. It's the first port of call in the morning and the last at night and no other web site on my favourites list is visited every day like the GWF. Best wishes for your future ventures.

Bill

Thanks for very generously passing on the ownership of this Forum on Chris. Good luck for the future.

At least we have a choice of who to blame now..!

:rolleyes:

Bernard

Chris,

I'd like to echo the thanks expressed by the others. I don't post much but I spend a lot of time reading and learning from the forum.

Also thanks to the new team for "picking up the baton"

Anth

Wow - I stay off forum for a few weeks and then drop back in to hear this news. Many thanks Chris for what you have achieved, and good luck with your new ventures. Thanks to the mods for taking up the mantle.

Thanks for all your hard work Chris.

Good luck to the new mods.

Mick

On most days but one of the lurkers

My own little project would NEVER have got off the ground without Chris kindly letting me have a stream in Classic Threads and thereby access to the Pals of this forum who have generously obtained photographs and shared knowledge with me. So a personal thanks and don't be a stranger. You deserve a gong of your own for making this Forum available.

Let me join in the chorus of thanks to Chris for the Forum and the long hours and work attached to it. It really is the

pre-eminent resource for any query on the Great War, great pics and accounts of visits and a really good debate on contenitious issues. Thank you Chris.

To the Mods thank you for taking on the challenge and may the Forum grow and prosper under your new leadership.

Thank you all SG