Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

I agree with all that's been said about Chris above- the Forum is a fantastic achievement, and I've had three great years as a member - and look forward to many more under the new team. Thanks, Chris.

Moonraker

Chris

What can I say except that you have created and nurtured what has become an invaluable and, indeed, unique resource for anyone interested in 1914-18. I have always wondered how much sleep you have been able to enjoy over the past five and a half years; not very much I fear. You deserve a break and time to have another life! I will always be grateful to you and am glad that you will still be around.

As for the new owners, you all have a proven track record as moderators and I have every confidence in you. I will do all I can to support you.

Floreat Great War Forum!

Charles M

Chris

I must add my thanks for all your hard work.

The world is a better place with people like you in it.

Good luck to the new team; I'll support you in any way I can.

Dave

Chris

A big thank you. Although I am a relative newcomer the GWF has become an essential part of my developing interest in WW1. I doubt any of us can understand how much effort you have put in. I wish you well.

Chris

As one of those 17/18th Oct 02 Old Sweats, please accept my thanks for all your efforts you have brought to this Forum and to your main site The Long Long Trail. Changes have happened in this time to the look of the Forum and to the Look of your main site, all have happened for the the good of the Forum and i hope this will continue in the same vane ( i know this will happen), i hope things turn out right in your new endevours, and all i can say is a big thanks for bringing us all together.

Regards as always Kevin

Chris

Many many thanks for all that you have done and provided through the Forum.

Mods

Thanks for taking over.

In this modern day grab all world its good to see an agreement of the kind made by Chris with the Mods.

Once again Many Thanks.

Dave

Well, what a turnip for the books! A great big thanks to Chris - the forum was a great concept and, as such, it has growed. The upkeep of such a resource must take up a lot of time and energy. Well done for staying the course thus far and good luck to the team who take over.

Someone recently advised a new member to be careful as the forum is very addictive. How true that is. I am amazed every single day at the wisdom and erudition shown by members on the most weird of enquiries. It has been of immense benefit to me and my associates in the Oxfordshire Yeomanry Trust. 'New posts' has become the first thing I turn to on switching on my PC. Chris - you are a miracle. Enjoy the peace of mind that future days will bring.

• Admin

All the very best and thanks.

Michelle

Chris,

thanks for setting up, and then running this forum.

Stuart

Chris

Thank you for launching and nurturing this forum, and for the way in which you have ensured its future. In my short time here I have been helped on sevewral occasions by some of the many experts who participate, and my understanding of the Great War has been much developed.

Thank you.

Keith

Chris

Many thanks for efforts in the GWF. I also spend many hours on the Forum, I have gained an amount of knowledge through the Forum and its contributors, and I hope I have contributed also. I wish you every success in any ventures you undertake in the future. A very BIG THANK YOU.

John

Chris,

As a relative newbie to the Forum, I'd like to add my thanks and gratitude for setting it up and running it - I have learnt plenty, found out about my Grandfathers and his generation's trials and sufferings during the War and have even made some decent friends on here !

Hope your new venture is as successful as this one has been.

All the best

Grant

Chris,

I don't know you from Adam, but, cheers mate, I enjoy it here, and have had a good time.

Good luck to the new leaders. Lets keep the stirling work going? a million posts will be a landmark.

Chris good luck in any future project.

Regards Charles

Many thanks Chris for all your hard work in producing the LLT and this fantastic forum.

Best of luck for your future projects.

Regards

LIT

Chris,

I would like to thankyou for giving me the opportunity in growing my knowledge, sharing my own...this forum is a wonderful experience and one of the best uses of collective knowledge i have ever had the pleasure to be a part of........i have heard this one before but seems appropriate here..."Go well" friend...

Chris.

I would like to add my thanks for all you have done. The Forum has filled many a hour of nearly every day since I joined in the early days, I have made some great friends and like minded contacts, and all because of you're endeavours on our behalf.

THANK YOU SIR.

YOURS AYE. ROB BULLOCH

Chris,

From a "Newbie" thank you very much and best wishes for the future. You, the mods and the members of GWF have opened the door to a black hole in my family history. Without this forum the stories of my four G,G Uncles would have been lost to the future Helsby family.

Best wishes,

Garry

Chris- Well done mate!! :D . I class myself as a novice of the Great War but have learnt so much from so many on this forum and i hope i can say made many new friends too. What you have achieved is tremendous and you should be rightly proud of yourself of this and for bringing so much talent together in one place. Although i don't know you personally I wish you good health and happiness in whatever step you take in life now and to the new owners i pledge my continued support and friendship. Long may this site continue and let us never forget the man who made all this happen-Chris.

Here's to many more happy years!!!

Wayne

Good luck with whatever you do next, Chris. Your forum has become a cornerstone of the Internet Great War community. All credit to you for that, and best wishes to the new management team.

Tom

A thousand posts ago I joined this Forum in search of help for matters associated with researching the Old Boys of Thetford Grammar School. I have had such amazing help from so many Pals in that time, and their knowledge and photos have contributed greatly to our annual Remembrance events, and all because of Chris' wonderful Forum - one of the best places on the web. This is the sort of thing the web is for. So, very many thanks to Chris for setting it up and to the Mods for taking it on, and to all of you who have helped over the years.

With best wishes,

David

Good luck with future ventures, Chris, and thanks to the team who have taken over. No-one would doubt the importance of the Great war Forum, and it is good to know it will continue.