Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bowing out

Chris_Baker

'I am very proud of what I have achieved'

And so you should be Chris.

You have done an extraordinary thing here and your generosity in doing it deserves the highest praise and respect. You have done more for the widespread remembrance of the Great War and its participants than any other popular venture. In years to come the stories families tell each other of their relatives in the war, the knowledge of experts and hobbyists alike, will be temprered and refined by the many thousands that have, through you, contributed to this site. I for one would like to express my personal gratitude and admiration for what you have achieved, THANK YOU.

Patrick

Martin B

Continue to send any donations just as before. The links will change over the next week or so but Chris will pass over and donations received in the interim.

Cor blimey, guv. Wot a surprise.

I doubt whether many of us who joined in those first couple of days ever imagined it would grow to become what it's become. It's credit to the ethos you've encouraged.

As with many "good ideas", it takes the inspiration of one person. But those "good ideas" grow to the point where its time for something new.

The King has abdicated. Long live the Lords Protector.

J

Thank you Chris, you leave your baby in good and steady hands. I often think of the GWF as akin to fishing....you cast your rod out in hope of a bite, well Chris you reservoir has certainly been well stocked, for every time I have cast out my line I pull something in..not once have I failed to receive a bite. Once again mate thanks for everything and best wishes in the future and good luck to the new team and their endeavours.

John.

Chris,

Firstly many thanks for what you have done to initiate this magnificent resource and forum, a tremendous achievement, I am not surprised that you are proud with what you have created.

The very best of luck with whatever project(s) that has made you take this step, don't stray too far from us though.

Thanks again Chris.

Andy

Guest KevinEndon

I wonder if he could be so kind as to pay my speeding fine before he leaves. After all he does owe me a huge favour for me keeping the troops entertained for years without even a thanks. :P

best of British to the past and to the future

Kevin

Chris,

I’d like to add my thanks to you for creating such an important and successful forum. I’m sure that you will make a success of any ventures that you have in mind for the future. I know that the best wishes of everyone connected with the forum will go with you.

Roy

Essentially, this site has become a vast, sometimes sprawling (and occasionally brawling!) Great War Encylopaedia ...

few people can say they kicked off such a resource. What an achievement. End of. Ta.

Well, what can I say that hasn't already been said??? Oh well, I'll say it anyway - Chris, thanks for a great forum. The work you've obviously put in behind the scenes these last few years cannot and probably couldn't be calculated!! As far as I am concerned this will always be your baby.

To the new "owners" - I'm not surprised it's taking all of you to take over - it's a huge pair of shoes to fill!! :lol: There is a lot of work ahead and hopefully the Pals here will be behind you as much as they are/were behind Chris.

Good luck to Chris and to the new admin team.

Les

Chris,

I am a relative newcomer here, but through the kindness of forum member's i have learned more in 6 months than i ever dreamed. Thank you for making this happen and thank you forum pals for sharing your depth of knowledge so freely.

Good luck for the future,

kind regards,

John.

Chris,

Just wanted to add my appreciation to what you have been responsible for! :lol:

I don't know how you were doing it all so enjoy your 'retirement' from a technical front.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

If it were not for this forum, my great uncle's diary would still be languishing in a dresser drawer. I could have never fully understood or appreciated much of it's contents. Thank you, thank you, thank you for such a wonderful resource.

Ann

Could a point-of-contact email address for the moderators be added to the Long, Long Trail? When GWF goes down we need an alternate communications channel.

As a 1st Battalion A company man this Forum is a very special part of my life. Thanks Chris.

Good luck to the "new management" - I don't think much needs fixing but new ideas are always welcome.

Swipe me sideways with a feather.

Blow it, now got to update the list of people to be nice too.... It was so much easier only having to remember one name.

But anyway, Good Luck with any new ventures., Chris.

Steve.

P.S. I notice that the finances have avoided the nefarious clutches of TR Enterprises. A good move that one....

Can only endorse all that's gone before; Many thanks & good luck with your new projects Chris.

Also good luck to the new management team.

Nigel

Thanks for all your hard work and good luck with what you do next

Ian

Chris,

The words Thank You seem so inadequate, but I can't think of better.

Bruce

Although not as regular a poster as many. The G.W.F is one of the few sites I always check when logging on. As a repository of information and an on-going resource it cannot be bettered.

It is a marvellous means of allowing people to learn about, and appreciate the lives of those who served, and at the same time ensure they are not forgotten.

It is an achievement to be proud of.

Best wishes,

Spud.

on numerous occasions i have seen this forum quoted as being the best on the net concerning the great war !!all down to you Chris, very best wishes for the future

best regards John

Just joining in from across the Channel to join the choir: Thank you Chris! You've set an exemple for the Great War enthusiasts when you created the forum and now you've set one for the internetcommunity with the way the continuation of this forum has been arranged.

New chapter for the forum, new opportunities, same spirit. The forum will outlive us all!

cheers from Flanders

P.S. I notice that the finances have avoided the nefarious clutches of TR Enterprises. A good move that one....

Don't believe it for one minute. Any day soon, the Cosy Nostra will be banging on the door demanding money. Pay up or its the trio wot gets it.