Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Dom,

No problem and thanks for looking. If any other subscribers to this thread can help with a reference to FA Brock's rugby playng career, most welcome.

Dom, I know how you feel. I wrote 15,000 words this Xmas and tried to have Christmas too. And that's only 2 chapters on 2 of my players...

Did I mention it's looking like a book now...? As AL Harrison is so well documented (assume you have read Gavin Mortimer Fields of Glory) I may focus on Tuckey or do them as a 'double act'.

To some degree, both are unusual as their fighting actions and deaths are so well covered - the great majority of my guys are hardly documented, although their lives often provide an insight into some wider theatre/aspect of the war or era.

best wishes

Stephen

Stephen,

Great news on the book front. Re Phelps - have you contacted the RM Museum archivist Matthew Little who is very helpful?

V best,

Dom

Thanks for tip. Will do.

rgds

Steve

Hi Dom,

Another newcomer sowly bumping into all sorts of gems on this forum.

One of the Wrefords I'm researching is Ernest (15770 Royal Marines) who I believe was one of those taken prisoner during the raid. I would be interested to know what additional info you have on him - I have some family details and the service record, but no photos or anything. I have seen a picture of the prisoners in a book, but wouldn't know which one he was.

Look forward to hearing from you,

All the best,

Neal

Hi there,

I don't have much on Wreford, but can confirm he was POW. He was in 10 Platoon, 4th Battalion RM. Most of the RM POWs were in 9 and 10 Platoon who were left behind after failing to hear the recall of the Vindictive. I have a photo of 10 Platoon taken just before the raid. PM me your email and I'll send a copy. Sadly, as with the POWs photo, Wreford is not identified.

For my part, I'd love a copy of his records/family details if poss?

Allbest,

Dom

Neal,

Wreford was also a momber of the Zeebrugge Association, listing his address as 8 Claremont Street, North Rd, Plymouth. His entry confirms: "Prisoner on Mole."

Best,

Dom

Neal,

Are you related? I note an N.Wreford and an AHC Wreford in the phone book for Plymouth and surrounds.

Very best,

Dom

PS My email is dominic.walsh@ireland.com

I have a little info on Haydn Bert Thomas, died on the raid, buried at Dover if it's of any use....contact me off-forum and I'll send, too big to post, Regards Peter

Hi Dom,

Not directly related to Ernest - as far as I can tell yet anyway. I'm based in Suffolk so am not the one in the Plymouth phone book! Thanks for the e-mail address, I will drop you a line re the service stuff mentioned earlier.

Neal

Hello Peter.

Thanks for your post. I'd be delighted for any details on Pte HB Thomas. I have a photo of his grave but that's about it. Like Pte Wreford, he was in 10 Platoon. Let me know your email address and I'll sen you a copy of the platoon photo - no names sadly.

May I ask what your interest is?

Very best

Dom

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

PS couldn't PM you as your inbox is full

Dom

I was wondering if you have a photo of Pte. William George Willavise (PLY/17462)? Serving with the 4th R.M. Bn. he died of wounds received during the Raid & was buried at Dover. Born at Eastcombe (near Stroud, Glos) on 14th Aug. 1897, he was the son of George & Clara Annie. Enlisted at Bristol 27th Oct. 1914.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi again Nick,

I do not sadly have a photo. In my files somewhere I have a copy of an account by a fellow marine who describes how he died. I can dig it out if you like. A while ago I was contacted by a distant family member who supplied some brief familiy details but no pic alas. What's your interest? Local man?

All the best,

Dom

Nick,

Here is the account from the son of his chum Pte Gleed RMLI:

"Father had a friend named Bill Willavise who lived at Toadsmoor. They trained together for the raid and when their leave was over they went to Brimscombe Station to return for the raid, which I suppose for obvious reasons they didn't know where it would be. They were accompanied by my mother and Bill's sister and when the train pulled out of sight my mother told me Bill's sister burst into floods of tears and said "I'll never see our Bill again" which turned out to be true. On the raid father said they were shelled all the way into Zeebrugge and the deck was awash with blood, then Bill got hit in the knee and said: "George, I have got my civvie suit." Just as he finished saying it a shell took his chest off and father was splashed with some of his blood. He went to see Bill's father later on to tell him all about it."

A poignant tale.

Best,

Dom

Dom

Many thanks for that sobering account - it certainly makes you think. Yes, he's local to me. I've yet to look through the newspaper archives so if I find a photo of him I'll gladly pass it on.

Cheers

Nick

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

I have a mystery that I want to solve that involves the raid.

Some twenty years ago my now deceased grandfather was given three pictures showing his father and mother (they had died when he was a baby in the flu-epidemic of 1918). He was unaware of the existence of these photographs and it was the first and only time he saw his parents.

One of the photographs includes a picture of my great-grandfather photographed in a group with four other men. One of whom happens to be a stoker with the word 'Vindictive' on his hat. Today I discovered via downloading a record that Alfred Hayes, one of the brothers of my great-grandmother was a stoker. In his record it says that between Nov 1916 and 1919 he was based at Pembroke II, which I believe from reading this forum and other internet sources was part of the shore base at Chatham. Other comments also lead me to believe that not all service records note service at Zeebrugge. I also have a JPEG copy of the photo.

The photo cannot be any later than Nov 1918 (when my great-grandfather died) and is not likely to be any earlier than Dec 1915 when my great-grandfather married my great-grandmother. Looking in Alfred Hayes record (he was born on 3rd April 1894, not 1893 as noted in the NA database, when they scanned the record in they obviously failed to read further down the page when it was noted that 1893 was the wrong date!). The ships Hayes is noted as serving on are:

Agamenon in 1913 to 1914.

Phaeton Feb to May 1915

Dido (Loyal?) Nov 1915 to Nov 1916

Followed by the already mentioned service under Pembroke II (other gaps were spent at Pembroke, where he started in 1912).

Help would be appreciated and I will be pleased to pass on the photo if it can be established that Alfred Hayes was involved in the raid.

Thanks

Justin

Hi Justin,

I can find no evidence that he was on the raid. He definitely wasn't on the Vindictive during the raid, for which a full roll exists.

Best wishes,

Dom

Hi Justin,

I can find no evidence that he was on the raid. He definitely wasn't on the Vindictive during the raid, for which a full roll exists.

Best wishes,

Dom

Thanks for looking Dom, it may be then that it is someone else. My great-grandfather (sometimes known as Charles William Nash and sometimes known as William Charles Nash frustratingly) as far as we know had no brothers. Some years ago I did find a Horace Charles Nash from Cork on a list of names recomended for medals at the National Archives but as far as we know my great-grandfather wasnt Irish. Would you like the picture file just in case it turns out to be someone else and they were involved in the raid?

Best wishes

Justin

Thanks for looking Dom, it may be then that it is someone else. My great-grandfather (sometimes known as Charles William Nash and sometimes known as William Charles Nash frustratingly) as far as we know had no brothers. Some years ago I did find a Horace Charles Nash from Cork on a list of names recomended for medals at the National Archives but as far as we know my great-grandfather wasnt Irish. Would you like the picture file just in case it turns out to be someone else and they were involved in the raid?

Best wishes

Justin

P.S. I meant to say Horace Charles Nash was at the raid. Just to say my grandfather worked at the Great Eastern Railways Loco Works during the war, so it is possible that the Vindictive crew member seen in the photograph may have worked their before joining up.

Hi Justin,

Yea, would love a copy of the pic. Somewhere I've got a photo of the Vindictive crew taken in 1917, a few of whom went on the raid. Will see if I can dig it out. I know the name Horace Charles Nash very well - he was a definite Zeebrugge man.

My email is dominic.walsh@ireland.com.

V best,

Dom

• 4 weeks later...

Dom

As you appear to be THE researcher for Zeebrugge, have you any biog. material on Lieut George Spencer DSC, RNR who was navigator in Iris and lost his life. I am now sure his DSC was for earlierwork in submarines [see another thread]. He is listed in the Liverpool Town Hall Roll of Honour and at Accrington. I would like to find out if he had any links with Liverpool other than serving in the ex-Mersey ferry Iris.

Daggers

Hi Daggers,

Thanks for your post. I see from your own thread that Paul Kendall has probably provided as much info as there is. But I will check my files at home tonight just in case I have anything else. You should get Paul's book, which is excellent.

V best,

Dom