Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Hi

I recently photographed a grave in St Marychurch Torquay of Arthur Walling who was wounded aboard the H.M.S Vindictive and later died in dover.

Would You like a copy of the photograph?, and could I get any information you have about his involvement in the raid.

all the best

rob

Hi

I recently photographed a grave in St Marychurch Torquay of Arthur Walling who was wounded aboard the H.M.S Vindictive and later died in dover.

Would You like a copy of the photograph?, and could I get any information you have about his involvement in the raid.

all the best

rob

The only Arthur Walling I could find was RMLI (as opposed to RN). This link is to his service paper (but unfortunately not a free download).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=D7784509

This dove-tails with a CWGC entry to a 4th Bn RM buried at St Mary's Church, Torquay. Arthur obviously died of wounds received during the Zeebrugge fighting having been bought back to Dover. He was 32.

A local Torbay newspaper for May 1918 may give details and a photograph.

It is fitting we remember Arthur Walling today, the 96th anniversary of his death a week following the St George's Day raid.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi

all the best

rob

Yes, Arthur Walling was a marine. He served in 10 Platoon of the 4th RM Battalion. I have a copy of the group photo of the platoon taken before the raid, but sadly have only a few names, not including Walling. If I find any more I will let you know. A photo of the grave would be most kind.

zeebrugge1918@gmail.com

Many thanks.

Dom

• 4 months later...

Hi

My Grandfather is believed to have been involved in some way on the Zeebrugge Raid. His name is Clarence Pickersgill and was a Stoker (1st Class?). I have his cap badge from his service on HMS Hindustan and a pencil drawn sketch of the Mole and positions of various ships/gun batteries/ etc completed at the time of the raid. My Grandfather died in 1976 and I have always been interested to try and find out more about his service records and particularly which ship he was aboard at Zeebrugge and its role in the raid. I am unsure if he drew the sketch and when it was drawn but it is quite detailed. I have never managed to find records his RN service and wouldn`t really know the best place to start or how to go about it. His daughter (my mum) has always wanted to know more - she is still with us, aged 90, and it would be nice if I could shed more light on his service and his possible role at Zeebrugge before it is too late! My granddad never talked much about his WW1 experiences but he was a lifetime member of the RN Association.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Richard

My Grandfather is believed to have been involved in some way on the Zeebrugge Raid. His name is Clarence Pickersgill ....

I think you can purchase his service papers using this link: (There was a mis-spelling in his name).

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D6987948

Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

Jonathan S

Hi Richard,

His name is not on the list for the Vindictive, Iris or Daffodil, but obviously there were plenty of other vessels involved. When you've downloaded his record of service, email me a copy and I'll see if there are any clues. PM me or use this email address.

zeebrugge198@gmail.com

Cheers.

Dom

Here's another face from Zeebrugge.

10177885 288510311308358 1188543462863357350 N

1526930 288510244641698 6313117413688585852 N

Private PLY1881 Harry Roberts RMLI. HMS Vindictive. Died of wounds at Chatham Naval Hospital. Harry was born in Llandudno on the 9th October 1889. he lived with his parents James and Grace at Roby House, 22 Llewelyn St Llandudno. He worked in the family grocery business. He was a prominent member of the Llandudno Amateur Dramatics Society. He received a naval-military funeral in Llandudno.

Here's another face from Zeebrugge.

Private PLY1881 Harry Roberts RMLI. HMS Vindictive. Died of wounds at Chatham Naval Hospital. Harry was born in Llandudno on the 9th October 1889. he lived with his parents James and Grace at Roby House, 22 Llewelyn St Llandudno. He worked in the family grocery business. He was a prominent member of the Llandudno Amateur Dramatics Society. He received a naval-military funeral in Llandudno.

Thanks for that. I know of him well, having bought a memorial booklet or card on ebay a while back which had this same photo on it. A brave man. Thanks for the grave pic.

Cheers. Dom

Dear friends, I have joined this site today and I am on a mission to find as much information or where to find it, about my grandfather. Alfred Benjamin Cannon, 15083 who fought at Zeebrugge . He was in the Chatham div and was on the " Vindictive " I have no idea which platoon he was in, I think no's 5,7,8, attacked from the Vindictive, but I am not sure and don't know a lot. Any morsel of information would be most appreciated.

Thank you Steve.

Hi Dom, I think I need your help regarding Zeebrugge. Steve.

Hi Steve.

I have him as 4 Platoon, which was aboard HMS Iris.I have a photo of 4 Platoon taken just before the raid. Do you know what he looked like? PM me your email and I will forward. Do you any photos or anything else on him? Love a copy of record of service if poss.

Cheers.

Dom

• 2 months later...
hi I was wondering anybody could help me please I have just found out that my great grandfather pte David Edward Evans ply /1842 (s )and his brother pte Daniel Goronwy Evans ply/ 1843( s )were in the R.M.L.I during ww1. David survived the war but Daniel died in Russia in 1918 of disease he was with the ship HMS glory . I found there service records and it said Daniel took part on the attack Zeebrugge would I be able to find what part he played also I found another record that says that he is in photo of machine gun co .(Hotchkiss) depot RM deal sept 1917 I have looked on the internet and have had no luck finding the photo would anybody know where there could be one I would be very grateful for any help you could give me

from

wayne

Hi I recently discovered that my great grandmothers brother was killed on the Zeebrugge raid.His name was Ernest E Henniker leading seaman no 183726 and I understand he was on the destroyer North Star when it was hit by gunfire from shore batteries and sunk.He was drowned and his body was washed ashore in Holland.I have a photo of his grave in Vlissingen cemetery.

Does anyone have any more info on him or picture of ships company?I would like to put together a profile of him for the village of Charing in Kent where he was born.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Dom

I understand that my 1st cousins 3 times removed Frank Merritt was involved in the Zeebrugge raid his details are:

31 March 1901 Census
Frank Merritt 22 Old Alresford Hampshire Devon Devonport Royal Marine
HMS Rainbow, Homoaze Devonport
Royal Marine
Name: Frank Merritt
Age in 1911: 32
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1879
Birth Place: Arlesford, Hampshire
Civil parish: East Stonehouse
County/Island: Devon
Street Address: Royal Marine Barracks, Durnford Street, East Stonehouse, Devon
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: East Stonehouse
Registration District Number: 277
Sub-registration district: East Stonehouse
ED, institution, or vessel: 9-11
Piece: 13013
WW1 Naval Casualties Transcription
First Name Frank
Last Name Merritt
Year Of Birth 1879
Birth Month Apr
Birth Day 24
Year Of Death 1918
Death Date 23/04/1918
Birth Town Arkesford [sic Arlesford]
Birth County Hants
Birth Date/Place 24.4.79. Arkesford, Hants.
Cemetery St. James Cem. Copt Hill, Dover, Kent.
Cause Of Death Killed or died as a direct result of enemy action.
Rank Lce. Cpl.
Service R.M.L.I.
Section scan 9/0479
Relatives notified Mother, Itchen Common, Itchen Abbas, Anlesford, Hants.
Decorations -
Official Number Ply/9984
Ship unit 4th Royal Marines Battalion
Sdrfnbr 26890
Location Of Grave -/P.W./40A.
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Royal Marine Medal Roll 1914-1920 Transcription
Print this page View image
First Name Frank
Last Name Merritt
Year 1914-20
Year Of Death 1918
Month of Death 4
Day of Death 23
Cause Of Death Killed in action
Number PLY/9984
Rank Lance Corporal
Unit Or Regiment 4th Royal Marine Battalion (Zeebrugge Raid)
Service Branch Royal Marine Light Infantry
Awards -
Medals 1914-15 Star, Victory & British War Medals
How Issued Widow
Notes -
1914 Star Roll 1 -
1914 Star Roll 2 -
Remarks I.C.6920/1918
ADM171 Ref 170/069
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Record collection First World War
Collections from Great Britain
---------------------------------------------------
Name: MERRITT, FRANK
Initials: F
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Royal Marine Light Infantry
Unit Text: 4th R.M. Bn.
Date of Death: 23/04/1918
Service No: PLY/9984
Additional information: Son of Mrs. E. Merritt, of Martyr Worthey, Winchester, Hants. Served in Persian Gulf and South African Campaign.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: P. W. 40A.
Cemetery: DOVER (ST. JAMES'S) CEMETERY
I have further family info parents siblings and wife etc. There is an error of birth year which would make him a year older but that is not uncommon but all other facts tie up parents and birth place.
Regards Tim