Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

I will look Frank up in my card index. I have a photo of his grave and a photo of his platoon taken before the raid, though sadly I do not know which one he is....

Thanks any info would be appreciated. Is there anything that I can assist you with? I have his service record which is mostly legible plus family info, sadly no pictures,

• 8 months later...

Hi all.

The purchaser of Lot 1007 at the recent Fellows auction - an MSM group to Cr Sgt Charles Kerr RMLI, who fought at Zeebrugge - might was to get in contact as I have research and other items of interest.

Dom

This thread appears to have been moved to Western Front. Can it be moved to something more appropriate, like ships & navies perhaps? Cheers. Dom

On the subject of the Zeebrügge Mole:

Can anyone tell me exactly where the Flak position was located? I can ascertain it contained (2) 3,7cm Maschinenkanonen, and was emplaced somewhere beyond the artillery observation station for the Batterie Friedrichsort.

MFG

J. Müller / 28juni14

• 4 weeks later...

Could I ask the mods to put this thread somewhere more appropriate? Western Front isn't right. Many thanks. D

Dom,

I suggest sending Keith Roberts or Alan Curragh or Kate Wills a PM as I am not sure they will pick this up otherwise.

sJ

Marinekorps Flandern were involved in much more than the St.George's Day raid. Are you not aware of Operation "Strandfest" on the Yser River ? You would cast that as a naval activity? How about the Korps air arm? Perhaps you should consider that alternative also. The simple truth is the Western Front contained a salient caused by the German occupation of the Belgium coast line.

• 10 months later...

I have studied the Zeebrugge Raid a bit, as I am interested in Great War flamethrowers (my father was a German flame-thrower soldier), and the British used flame-throwers at Zeebrugge.

I remember reading about a cutlass duel on the mole between a British officer (?) and a German naval petty officer, perhaps from one of the ships berthed on the opposite side of the mole. Ring anyone's bell? Must have been one of the last sword duels of the Great War.  

I have that photo thanks Edward1, but appreciate the thought.

Hi Bob. Yes, there was a story of such a duel. I can't lay my hand on it, but I seem to recall that the name of the purported British participant didn't tally....

It's on pp 121-122 of Deborah Lake's 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918'.  Claims that it was Harrison did not tally with witness accounts of his death, leaving Brock as the likeliest contender, assuming, of course, that it actually happened.  It certainly sounds like Brock.

3 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

It's on pp 121-122 of Deborah Lake's 'The Zeebrugge and Ostend Raids 1918'.  Claims that it was Harrison did not tally with witness accounts of his death, leaving Brock as the likeliest contender, assuming, of course, that it actually happened.  It certainly sounds like Brock.

Thanks SiegeGunner.

• 6 months later...

Attn: Bob Lembke!

Sorry, I failed to notice your post earlier.  The hand-to-hand cutlass action you've refereed to did indeed take place.   The Torpedoboot crewman was Seaman Künne, while the English officer is unknown, some like to think it was Harrison.  I've never understood why Künne didn't use the P06 he was carrying along with the boarding cutlass; perhaps he had already emptied all three magazines.

As an added note, a WW2 destroyer was given his name in honor.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2017 at 22:27, 28juni14 said:

Attn: Bob Lembke!

Sorry, I failed to notice your post earlier.  The hand-to-hand cutlass action you've refereed to did indeed take place.   The Torpedoboot crewman was Seaman Künne, while the English officer is unknown, some like to think it was Harrison.  I've never understood why Künne didn't use the P06 he was carrying along with the boarding cutlass; perhaps he had already emptied all three magazines.

As an added note, a WW2 destroyer was given his name in honor.

Thanks for your input. Did Kuenne survive the combat and battle?

He did not, he was found lying near the Brit officer.  

Incidentally, I note your comprehension of the Umlaut.

2 minutes ago, 28juni14 said:

He did not, he was found lying near the Brit officer.  

Incidentally, I note your comprehension of the Umlaut.

Since US Naval Intelligence almost put my mother and I in a camp (lLager) in the US in 1942, my parents

did not allow me to learn German when I was a child, although it was spoken at home. I learned to speak

it when I was working for the US Department of State (and other actors) in Ljubljana, Slovenija in 1967;

Slovene is very hard, much more than Serbo-Croatian (which I learned later), so as almost everyone there

at that time spoke German, I started to use it. When I found my father's and grand-father's letters from the 

front, in 2000, I taught myself to read German, and also the old hand-writing systems.

I have estimated that since 2000 I have read almost 10,000 hours in German. If I have done that and was

not aware of the Umlauts, I would be a sad puppy.

Dom... This was my Grandfather Thomas Jones. He was at the Zeebrugge raid. I have no idea in what capacity (He served on HMS Canada before and after the raid and then after demob was on the Archangel expedition 

I don't seem to be able to find much info about his war time service or afterwards other than the service sheet on the NA website and a copy of a letter he recieved confirming his entry into the VC ballot for the raid at Zeebrugge. If you or anyone else have any info I would be very interested to see it!

Thanks

IMG_2122.JPG

Grandad Thomas VC Ballot Letter.jpg

Grandad Thomas Discharge Booklet Pages 5 & 6009 (Large).jpg

• 4 months later...