Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Hi,

indeed 17455 on his burial stone!

in letter CWGC unfortunately indicated as CH/14455

regards,

Cnock

• 4 months later...

John, re your question below, did I ever get back to you? Sorry to be so inefficient! Dom

Dom

Do you have anything on:

HURST, GERALD WALTER, Gunner RMA/15033, 4th R.M. Bn. Royal Marine Artillery, (H.M.S. Vindictive)

recently discovered to have been left off our parish roll. Buried at Dover.

John

Dom

You didn't but equally inefficiently I'd forgotten I'd asked!

John

Ha ha! I have loads on him. Hurst was killed in the foretop of the Vindictive manning a gun alongside Sgt Finch RMA who won the VC for his gallantry that day. Will be in touch. Dom

Dom

Fantastic. You should have got my e-mail address in response to the PM you sent me. Give me a shout if it didn't come through.

John

• 4 months later...

Remembering that gallant band led by Roger Keyes who attacked Zeebrugge on St George's Day 1918. They may not have slain the German dragon but they gave its tail a damned good twist.

Good to see Dover keeping their memory alive:

Daring raiders of the Dover Patrol are remembered

26 April 2012

East Kent Mercury

THE bravery of the men of the Dover Patrol was honoured on Monday at annual ceremonies in the town.

The Mayor, Cllr Ronnie Philpott, led the town's commemoration at St James' Cemetery, where many of those who served in the Dover Patrol are buried, and then at Dover Town Hall where she rang the Zeebrugge Bell.

Following the outbreak of the First World War in 1914, Germany swept through Belgium routing the country's army and capturing the Belgian coast.

There they commandeered the ship canal at Bruges as a base for submarines (U-boats), as it provided outlets to the North Sea at Zeebrugge and Ostend.

The German intention was to force Britain to surrender by the destruction of shipping on which we depended for food and other supplies. It was in order to protect supply lines that the Dover Patrol was formed.

Although the German blockade was reduced in April 1917, about 875,000 tons of British and Allied shipping was destroyed and the subsequent food shortages led to the introduction of rationing.

The Admiralty proposed a daring raid on the Zeebrugge and Ostend outlets of the Bruges U-boat base and Vice-Admiral Roger Keyes was appointed to formulate a plan.

He proposed to sink blockships in the canals leading to Bruges in order to prevent the German submarines getting out.

The raid took place on April 23 1918.

Vice-Admiral Keyes commanded the mission from his flagship Warwick. Vindictive was the main cruiser and the flotilla included the destroyer Faulkner, commandeered Mersey ferries, two submarines, 34 motor launches, 16 motorboats and 10 assorted vessels.

Three concrete-filled blockships, Thetis, Intrepid and Iphigenia, were towed across the Channel.

The mission was successful although of the 1,700 men who went, 200 were killed and 400 wounded. Of those killed, 156 were brought back to Dover and 66 were buried in St James' Cemetery.

In recognition of the Zeebrugge Raid, King Albert I of Belgium presented Dover with the bell that had hung at the end of the Zeebrugge Mole and it now hangs outside the town hall, where it is rung at noon on April 23 each year.

On Monday, it was preceded by the traditional service and wreath-laying ceremony at St James' Cemetery. A band from Belgium came to Dover for the commemorations.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MikeW2936

Dom,

I have been researching the broader family history of Captain John Maurice Palmer. On discovering this thread I’ve ended up being totally absorbed by the story of the Zeebrugge raid itself.

I’d appreciate any information you have on him as I notice he’s mentioned on this forum. Have already put together an overview of his early life and career from UK Census Records, Navy Lists, London Gazette, medal rolls. But more detail is always welcome.

From various web sites and his citation, which says he was 2IC Charlie Company, it appears he would have assumed command of the company before the first troops even got onto the mole. If I have it right, the CO and his 2IC were killed by the same shell so as the next senior officer his own company commander, a Major Bernard Weller, took over the battalion??

Happy to share his family background if of interest for your book. The interesting thing for me is that four out of six Palmer brothers served professionally and/or in war out of which three received awards for gallantry of various levels.

Regards,

Mike Wheatley

• 2 months later...
Guest nickkeeler

Good morning Dom, only just found this thread following a snippet from a family member that her Grandfather was involved in the Zeebruge raids in April 1918. His name was Thomas Henry Knowles and he was in the Royal Marines. The family story goes along the lines that towards the end of the engagement he was thrown into a boat amongst the bodies of his colleagues who had been wounded / killed as he appeared to be dead. He came round surrounded by the carnage. I dont have a lot more information than that but would welcome any details that you have of him.

Truly an amazing story and such bravery in the face of huge adversity, difficult to imagine in this day and age!

many thanks

Nick Keeler - Bristol

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of Captain Palmer, who won a bar to the DSC for his actions at Zeebrugge after refusing to leave his men on the Mole and being made POW

post-1778-0-52492300-1345548575_thumb.jp

Here is Capt. J.M.PALMER'S entry on page 149 of Fringes of the Fleet and the Distinguished Service Cross by R.C.Witte, published in 1997:

post-48147-0-31880700-1345565700_thumb.j

Philip

Interestingly, one of Capt Palmer's men later (quite a few years later) claimed that he had tried to alert Palmer that the recall had been sounded and that they should get back to the Vindictive. He alleges that Palmer was drunk and sent him away with a flea in his ear. This Private (who made it back to the ship in time) blamed Palmer for the resultant departure of the Vindictive without a dozen or so Plymouth men and their subsequent incarceration as POWs.

Can this be true? I'm sure quite a few of those who took part in the raid partook of some Dutch courage ahead what was accepted as a suicide mission, though I'd be surprised if Palmer would have been rewarded with a DSC if he'd been drunk and behaved irresponsibly. I guess we'll never know the truth of the matter.

• 2 months later...

Lovely feature in the Times sports section today based on Stephen Cooper's new book on the Rosslyn Park RFC players who perished in the Great War, with a particular focus on Lt-Cdr Arthur Harrison who was awarded a posthumous VC for his part in the St George's Day raid on Zeebrugge in 1918. Terrific piece. Haven't seen the book yet (other than a proof of the chapter on Harrison) but looks like a cracking Christmas present to ask the kids for!

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/rugbyunion/article3593470.ece

• 1 year later...

Still seeking photos, docs, details on 4th Battalion RM Zeebrugge men for my book...aiming to publish in time for centenary of raid, so still some time!

Equally, I am happy to help others with research. Have wealth of material, photos, records, books...

Cheers.

Dom

Hi Jonathan.

I've got loads of copies of pages though not sure if I ever did a complete search.....

Cheers.

Dom

• 5 months later...

Remembering all those gallant souls who gave their lives while "twisting the dragon's tail" during the St George's Day raid on Zeebrugge in 1918

Remembering all those gallant souls who gave their lives while "twisting the dragon's tail" during the St George's Day raid on Zeebrugge in 1918

Here, here!

Particularly remembering Tommy Crust who volunteered and coxed the picket boat that picked up the surviviors from C3. I guess he thought it was all in a day's work.

Guest russty367

Has anyone got information in relation the Zeebrugge Raid, which took place on 23 April 1918 and in particular HMS Vindictive. My Great Uncle Bertrand Percy Trees.

If anyone has information relating to Bertrand and his father Capt. Reginald Pearson I would be grateful. I would like to know whether the ships company all received a medal for their gallant service- can you point me in the right direction please.

He was the son of Capt. Reginald Pearson Trees (MBE) and Margaret Jane Trees. Bertrand was born in Barbados, Indies on 13th December 1897. His father was born in Ripon, Yorkshire and his mother was born was born in Newfoundland , . Bertrand has siblings Violet Ann, Maud Mary, Lilian Margaret, Eleanor Elizabeth, Frederick Allen (my paternal granddad) and Albert Eric.

1901 Census – Orford Barracks, Warrington, Lancashire - Bertrand is down as Percy

1911 Census – Orford Barracks, Warrington, Lancashire

After the war the family livesd at 29, Palmerston Drive, Litherland. Bertrand Percy Trees was killed or died as a direct result of enemy action aboard H.M.S. Vindictive

I've checked the index of Paul Kendall's book "The Zeebrugge Raid 1918", but there is no entry for Pearson.

Andrewr