Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Do you have his service record (apologies if that is what you mean by SC) and does it allocate him to a particular ship on the date in question?

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2010 at 20:05, Nick Thornicroft said:

Dom

I was wondering if you have a photo of Pte. William George Willavise (PLY/17462)? Serving with the 4th R.M. Bn. he died of wounds received during the Raid & was buried at Dover. Born at Eastcombe (near Stroud, Glos) on 14th Aug. 1897, he was the son of George & Clara Annie. Enlisted at Bristol 27th Oct. 1914.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi.not sure if you are still on here.ive just joined this site and saw your post.i am related to William and have researched my family tree.have visited his family home,his parents grave and even the war graves at Dover.my e.mail.is keithwillavise@gmail.com.

On 1/13/2010 at 10:22, domwalsh said:

Hi again Nick,

I do not sadly have a photo. In my files somewhere I have a copy of an account by a fellow marine who describes how he died. I can dig it out if you like. A while ago I was contacted by a distant family member who supplied some brief familiy details but no pic alas. What's your interest? Local man?

All the best,

Dom

Hi Dom.i may be the family member who contacted you regarding my great uncle William.it was a while ago I know but I am still researching anything to do with my family tree.this military site is an added bonus.i bought the book on zeebrugge and visited the war graves at Dover.very poignant..regards keith.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Keith.

I'm afraid I don't have any more on your great uncle. Don't suppose you ever sourced a photo?

Best.

Dom

• 5 months later...

There's a FB group for Zeebrugge, and a rather intriguing image has appeared.

Master at Arms Charles George Dunkason, D.S.M. 1881-1965 was on HMS Vindictive up to 12 December 1917. At some point thereafter he was recalled from Portsmouth to be a member of the ship's crew once more.  

His grandson Michael was sorting through some items in his late grandfather's house in the 1970s, and came across a device to affix to a Browning Automatic Rifle, to catch the spent bullet cases. (I've seen similar devices for Madsen LMGs used by the Wehrmacht in WW2). He is of the opinion that the BAR was aboard HMS Vindictive during the raid. This device has been lent to a museum.

It seems that the American Army did not get BARs until later in the year, and I have not heard of any other accounts of the BAR being used. The idea of using of a weapon with non-standard ammunition does seem odd, given that the raiding parties would have been using Lee Enfields and Lewis guns. 

1 hour ago, GrenPen said:

There's a FB group for Zeebrugge, and a rather intriguing image has appeared.

Master at Arms Charles George Dunkason, D.S.M. 1881-1965 was on HMS Vindictive up to 12 December 1917. At some point thereafter he was recalled from Portsmouth to be a member of the ship's crew once more.  

His grandson Michael was sorting through some items in his late grandfather's house in the 1970s, and came across a device to affix to a Browning Automatic Rifle, to catch the spent bullet cases. (I've seen similar devices for Madsen LMGs used by the Wehrmacht in WW2). He is of the opinion that the BAR was aboard HMS Vindictive during the raid. This device has been lent to a museum.

It seems that the American Army did not get BARs until later in the year, and I have not heard of any other accounts of the BAR being used. The idea of using of a weapon with non-standard ammunition does seem odd, given that the raiding parties would have been using Lee Enfields and Lewis guns. 

Manufacture of the BAR didn't start until April 1918 and AEF supplies reached France in August .  Bit difficult to believe that a part appeared in the Zeebrugge raid before it was made?

The RN could well have French St.Etienne M1917 fully automatic rifles available at that time, but BARs is stretching my imagination a little too far

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. My Grandfather was William Gladstone Cleaver, crew member of the C3 sub at Zeebrugge 1918. I would appreciate any information regards his service and if possible photographs as what I know of him is limited only to the the fact he is buried at Warwick cemetery, died in his 80's and my Father was one of his three children (now deceased). The only photo I have of him is with his wife and in his later years. I would like to trace my Paternal ancestry in the future also and will welcome any pointers on how to do this. Regards, Hilary 

http://www.naval-history.net/WW1NavyBritishLGDecorationszzCGM.htm

Sto., 1st Cl., Henry Cullis Bindall, O.N. K.5343 (Po.).

P.O. Walter Harner, O.N. 228795 (Dev.).

Ldg. Sea. William Gladstone Cleaver, O.N. 2211961 (Po.).

E.R.A., 3rd Cl., Allan Gordon Roxburgh, O.N. 272442 (Ch.).

The ratings above mentioned were members of the crew of Submarine C.3, which was skilfully placed between the piles of the Zeebrugge mole viaduct and there blown up, the fuse being lighted before the submarine was abandoned. They volunteered for and, under the command of an officer, eagerly undertook this hazardous enterprise, although they were well aware that if the means of rescue failed, and that if any of them were in the water at the time of the explosion, they would be killed outright.

Kath.

18 January 1918 - Leamington Spa Courier – Leamington.

“Petty Officer W. G. Cleaver, whose wife resides at Warwick Lodge, Church Hill, Leamington, has been awarded the D.S.M. 
Petty Officer Cleaver, who has seven years’ service with the submarines, has been twice mentioned in despatches.”

Edited by Kath
addition

Oh, dear.

I knew Horatio the second would know better! 

:(

Please,Sir, are the other posts O.K?

Kath.

Edited by Kath
breath.

11 minutes ago, Kath said:

Oh, dear.

I knew Horatio the second would know better! 

:(

Please,Sir, are the other posts O.K?

Kath.

Please, Miss, I was only trying to help - and I do not have the time or inclination to check all nineteen pages. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just booked my ferry to attend whatever events are happening in Zeebrugge over the weekend and on the Monday 23rd April to commemorate the raid in 1918. Anyone else attending?

Thanks

• 1 year later...

I wondered if anyone had any information about Ply 2505 - S - Pte Frederick Fenner?

I have his ADM 159 which gives his DoB as 20.8.99.

Home address - Banbury, Oxford.

Enlisting London 15.9.17 aged 18 years and 26 days.

4 RMB "Took part in attack on Zeebrugge, Belgium 22 -23 April 1918".

North Russia Expeditionary Force 15 May 18 to 9 July 19.

Demobilised 23 Sept 19.

Any info about his Company (C?), Platoon etc. gratefully received.

58 DM. 

There were three companies (A, B and C) in 4th RM Battalion at Zeebrugge (plus a MG section). 'C' Company comprised men of Plymouth Division. Platoon unknown but Platoons 9-12 were Plymouth Coy..

The company-sized Royal Marines Field Force North Russia had four platoons (Portsmouth, Chatham, Plymouth and Deal Platoons). He would have been in Plymouth Platoon.

Note that the "Company" column in the ADM 159 ledger record notes the company he was in, firstly at Deal ('C' Coy) and then in Plymouth Division RMLI ('E' Coy). They are not connected to his service away from Plymouth HQ.

For future reference, an 'attestation pack' of documents for the RMLI service of Pte Fenner is held in the archive of the Fleet Air Arm Museum (National Museum of the Royal Navy). The pack will have more details of his service. Annoyingly, the NMRN is not accepting any enquiries at present and is unlikely to be able to provide copies of records until the middle of 2020 (at earliest?). 

Edited by horatio2

Many thanks H2,

Fred Fenner was in E Company whilst at Plymouth.

I'll be patient and see if I can get hold of his attestation pack next year (hopefully)!

58 DM.

• 4 weeks later...

Pte Frederick Fenner was in 12 Platoon. I attach a photo.

According to his son Roy, he was a Lewis gunner on the raid.

He later worked for a brewery

FENNER Pte Frederick RMLI.jpg

Dom,

Absolutely fantastic! Thanks very much indeed.

58 DM.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 31/05/2020 at 22:15, Led_lady said:

Hi! I’m William’s great granddaughter! My Grandad asked me to do some research on his Dad and this came up!

Hello. I replied to your post about your great grandfather but haven't seen a reply. Am still keen to touch base.

Cheers Dom 

• 6 months later...

Sorting through a recently purchased batch of German photographs I found this - which I thought might be of interest, not a view I had seen before.

Chris

zeebruggeweb.jpg.ef3a55da46e4b677194bc2d30fe08af7.jpg