Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

RE: NASH

Sorry, Justin, I was mistaken. I have pic of the crew of the Hindustan, not the Vindictive.

Best,

Dom

• 1 month later...

Remembering all those gallant souls who gave their lives at Zeebrugge on St George's Day 1918. May their memory never dim.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I managed to get the Zeebrugge Raid mentioned in The Times City Diary!

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle7143744.ece

Dom,

Would love to read this, but link gets a 404, probably because Murdoch is now charging for access to Times Online.

I am just about to embark on my chapter about Arthur Harrison VC - you will recall he is one of my Rosslyn Park rugby players. I have agonised over this, as he is very well documented both in a naval/military context and in his sporting connection by Gavin Mortimer in Fields of Glory, so it will be difficult to add anything new. On the other hand, a VC and England player can hardly be excluded from the book, as he is probably our most prominent Great War combatant.

With 71 names now confirmed (more on the bench, but unverified) he must make the final selection of 15, Of the ten written so far , it has been a pleasure to bring them 'out of the shadows', while Harrison VC is already brightly illuminated.

Dick,

There is a photo of Petty Officer George Pemberton DSM F13706 in the book 'The Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms' published by The History Press.

Regards

Paul Kendall

Dick,

There is a photo of Petty Officer George Pemberton DSM F13706 in the book 'The Zeebrugge Raid 1918: The Finest Feat of Arms' published by The History Press.

Regards

Paul Kendall

Thank you Paul, very interesting. I have the book on order

Dick Chitty

• 3 months later...

I have been referred to you as the source of a photo of POWs from the Zeebrugge Raid. I have found this in old posts and both times "Aloysius Smyth" is pointed out. He is a family member and I amtrying to find out how you all know which one he is in this photo, where he was prisoner, how long etc. I cannot find anything in my searching about these men who were POWs after the raid. I have Aloysius Smyth Service record , somewhat damaged. But it still had some bits referncing the Zeebrugge raid, Ballot for the VC , MISSING and then some almost detsroyed reference to POW camp (not legible after that).

The photo is amazing as (if it is him) the only one I wil have. Can you help?

Thanks so much

Erin

Erin,

As soon as I have your e-mail, it will be in your Inbox :)

Best from Johan

Erin,

As soon as I have your e-mail, it will be in your Inbox :)

Best from Johan

Hello Johan,

Are you sending me the photo? Do you have any other info about it and Aloysius Smyth. How can you tell it is he? His Naval records state he was only 5'10" - so not as burly as the man pointed out. As I know next to nothing regarding Marine vs RN uniforms I can only go on the visual aspect and the little man next to the burly one appears to have different uniform to the others and would match better the physical description. I am gathering some skills though as I have found that the family liked a uniform so they are in Canadian army, British army, Royal Marines, SOE(WW2), Royal Navy, RUC, RIC and Australian Army and some served in 2 .

my email is erinsullivan_aus@yahoo.com

Kind Regards

Erin

As Dominic just said, that was tall at the time, I've been seriously surprised about how tall we have become in just a few generations since WW I

If he was 5' 10" barefoot, he would no doubt be 6' in boots and helmet. A more telling parameter, though, if it is recorded in his service record, would be his chest measurement.

The records of service of Pte Wreford (on Smyth's right) and Pte Graham (on his left) show that Graham is 5ft 4 and Wreford is 5ft 7, so I'd say that all fits very neatly.

Dom

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My great grandather served on HMS Terror from Jul 22, 1916 - September 13, 1918 as per his navy record

he is J4869 George Samuel brading

Can i assume that he was there

Any information or assistance would be greatly appreciated

Regards and thanks

curtis

• 3 months later...

A while ago, I was contacted by relatives of Gnr William Henry Blinston BROWN RMA who took part in the Zeebrugge Raid. Their email addresses appear no longer to work. Are you out there?

Dom

Gnr Brown has a large family - 6 sons, 1 daughter, 8 grandsons, 5 granddaughters.... and many great grand children! His son James was among those who contacted me briefly some time ago. If any of you are out there, please get in contact.

Got a couple of articles that might be of interest:

ZEEBRUGGE RAID

LANGWITH SAILORS ADVENTURE ON VINDICTIVE

KIRKBY MARINES STORY

Below are give some personal impressions of the daring naval raid on Zeebrugge by two local men who took part in an adventure which was carried out with superb heroism.

Stoker James W. Evison Nettleship, eldest son of Mr. J.W. Nettleship, farm foreman for Mr. W. Burkitt, Apsley Farm, Langwith, arrived home on Friday on a four days leave after being in the daring naval raid at Zeebrugge on the previous Monday night. Nettleship, who was on H.M.S. Bellerphon, bravely volunteered like others for special service on the Vindictive, and was engaged as a stoker when the raid took place. Fortunately he escaped without injury, only a bit of shrapnel hitting him on the knuckle. Lieut. Walker, his officer, was seriously injured, his arm blown off, and Nettleship attended to him for a considerable time. Stoker Nettleship is 20 years of age and before joining the Navy in November 1916 was employed on the farm. After having a training at Devonport, he was sent to the Grand Fleet, and placed on H.M.S. Bellerphon, for which ship he returned on Tuesday.

Stoker Nettleships photo appeared in the Daily Mirror on Friday, along with photos of a number of other men who made the landing on the Mole under a heavy fire which did fearful execution. The Germans, he says, seemed to be fifteen to one, but nothing could stop the landing parties. As to the Vindictive, though her forward funnel was a sieve, her lower deck a shambles, she achieved her task and came back in triumph.

LIKE WALKING INTO HELL

A Kirkby soldier, Lce.-Corpl. J.W. Wilcox, R.M.L.I., is home on leave after participating in the raid on Zeebrugge Mole, where he was wounded in the right hand. Speaking of his experience, he says, it was like walking into hell. We threw out a dense smoke screen, and got within 200 yards of the Mole before the enemy could get the range. His first shot after finding the range killed 54 of our men on the Vindictive, Lieut.-Col. Elliott and the second officer in command were killed on the bridge. I was wounded and ordered below to attend wounded, where we were kept very busy. A shrapnel shell struck the ship and landed into a water tank beside us. Luckily it did not explode, or all the medical staff would have been wiped out. Our sailors storming party detached to blow up the bridge connecting the mole to the mainland just accomplished their deed as a train load of troop guns, etc. was crossing to reinforce the enemy on the mole. Not only the bridge was destroyed, but the train too. This doubtless saved the British party, for had reinforcements arrived we should probably all have been killed. All our objectives were gained, the cement ships sunk as planned, and then the signal given for our return. The seamanship of the skippers was beyond all praise, and it seemed to me that God Himself was at the wheel t pilot us out of the hell we had run into.

Mansfield and North Notts. Advertiser, 3rd May 1918

"DIED AT ZEEBRUGGE

NOTTINGHAM HEROES BURIED AT BASFORD

Two local heroes of the Zeebrugge operations on St. Georges Day were laid to rest on Monday in the quiet cemetery at Basford George Smith (Royal Marines) and Ernest Charles Pool (Royal Naval Air Service).

Smith, who had served 15 years in the Marines, was a native of Hyson Green, his home being in Carver-street. He succumbed to wounds sustained in action.

Pool was the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Pool, of Milner-road, Sherwood. Twenty years of age, he was educated at High-pavement Secondary School, of whose staff his father is a well-known member. On leaving school he entered the employment of Messrs. Boots Ltd., and acquiring a knowledge of chemistry went into a scientific branch of the R.N.A.S. He was killed by a shell, and his parents received the following letter from his commanding officer:- The officers and men are proud of the part played by your son in the now famous action against the Belgian coast and hope the knowledge that he volunteered for so gallant an action will be a source of comfort to you in your loss.

By desire of Mr. and Mrs. Pool there was no military honours at their sons internment. A number of High-pavement teachers (including Miss A. Swann, Miss Tinsley, Miss G. Tinsley, Mr. H. Evans, Mr. C. Coggins, M. Jiordan) were present, as well as some of the scholars.

Full military honours were bestowed on Smiths internment. Among those present were the Mayor and Sheriff (Mr. J.G. Small and Mr. H. Offiler); the firing party came from the 2nd Battalion of the Notts. Volunteer Regiment; representatives of the Royal Marines followed the cortege; and the roads to the cemetery were lined by a sympathetic crowd. The coffin, borne on a gun-carriage, was covered with the Union Jack and four beautiful wreaths of lilies, narcissi, and pinks. The ceremony was conducted by the Rev. C.D. Gordon, vicar of St. Stephens Church, Bobbers Mill-road.

Nottinghamshire Weekly Express, 3rd May 1918

F/12787 Air Mechanic 1st Class Ernest Charles Pool, Royal Naval Air Service, H.M.S. "President II", killed in action 23rd April 1918. Aged 20. Son of Thomas and Edith Marian Pool, of 13, Milner Rd., Sherwood, Nottingham. Buried Nottingham (New Basford) Cemetery.

PLY/11530 Private George Charles Smith, (RMR./B/965). 4th R.M. Bn. H.M.S. "Vindictive", killed in action 23rd April 1918. Aged 33. Son of Mrs. Rebecca Smith, of 18, Carver St., Hyson Green, Nottingham, and the late John Smith. Buried Nottingham (New Basford) Cemetery.

There are some other Zeebrugge RN accounts on my facebook page.

• 1 month later...

Remembering the gallant members of the 4th Battalion Royal Marines and their naval comrades who took part in the Zeebrugge Raid on St George's Day 1918. Long may their exploits live in our memories.

Dom

Do you have anything on:

HURST, GERALD WALTER, Gunner RMA/15033, 4th R.M. Bn. Royal Marine Artillery, (H.M.S. Vindictive)

recently discovered to have been left off our parish roll. Buried at Dover.

John

Remembering them all, and in particular Captain Henry Halahan RN, killed by machine-gun fire on the foredeck of Vindictive moments before midnight on the final approach to the Mole. Buried at sea off the South Goodwins on 25 April 1918.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I am looking for a foto and info about :

private Tomas SNEYD, CH/14455, 4 Bn RMLI

Able Seaman R. LEE RNVR TZ/10482, HMS North Star

both kia 23/4/1918, and buried at Cement House Cem, Langemark

regards,

Cnock