Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Guest Jessica89

:) thanks Dom

yes those other halahans on that page are relations, even those who arn't crosbys

but then i've noticed so are the other halahans listed throughout this site

• 6 months later...

Dear all,

A small update for the many people who've helped me on my Zeebrugge project. Finding the time to actually write this thing is proving difficult (my excuse? 2 small kids and a full-time job). So I've decided to set myself a target of getting the book published in time for the centenary of the raid. Yes, that's St George's Day 2018! That may sound slightly ridiculous, but it gives me time to finish the research to a reasonable level (though trying to find a photo of every RM who took part may be beyond me!).

So anyone out there who has valuable photos or information still has plenty of time to contact me. And don't forget that I have mountains of info on participants, both naval and marines, and would happily do look-ups on any aspect.

Best regards,

Dom

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

Hello Dom,

While looking up a soldier on de-ruvigny's roll of honour I spotted an entry for a Zeebrugge casualty on the same page. I am sure you will have the information but thought it worth a mention just in case.

He was Bertie Levi Gooden Pte. 19730 RMLI who died 20/5/18 "from wounds received in acton at Zeebrugge". When I checked on CWGC it states that this name was an alias and the correct name should be Hildred.

His date of birth is given as 21/9/1900, so died age 17, would this make him one of the youngest victims?

Despite his young age he seems to have also served at Jutland two years earlier!

Hope your research is going well.

Regards

Michael

Thanks, Michael. I hadn't checked de Ruvigny, so thanks for that. Is there a photo? Is anybody in a position to do me a scan of the entry?

All the best,

Dom

Hello Dom,

I can send you the entry. I will e-mail you hopefully tomorrow. Yes there is a photo with the article.

Speak to you soon

Michael

I wonder where the confusion in d.o.b. originates. CWGC also lists him as age 17. I know people often altered their d.o.b. to appear older but in this case it makes him younger.

Dominic- Do you have a service record for this man?

Michael

my grandfather's service record shows him as being at zeebrugge and being mentioned in dispatches, i don't have his details to hand at the moment but wondered if youhad any information on John Stanley Williams, RMLI. He was 18 at the time and is down as being in the Portsmouth Division. His register number is 18464 he enlisted in 1915 was at Jutland on HMS Hercules, do yo have any information about him at Zeebrugge as my father remembers him still picking out bits of shrapnel from both legs in the 1930's?

Hi, you might want to add this chap fro the Acton Roll of Honour:-

Name: RICHARDS, WILLIAM. Rank: Stoker. Service No: 9111/S

Regiment/Service: H.M.S. Hindustan. Royal Naval Reserve.

Additional information: Son of the late Alfred and Mary Richards, of Rough Common, Canterbury; husband of Mrs. Frederic Burney (formerly Richards), of Lillyhulme, Harris St., Paddington, Sidney, Australia. Acton Gazette reports address as Leythe Road, Acton (Zeebrugge raid). Military funeral.

Grave/Memorial Reference: C. C. I. Screen Wall Panel 6. Cemetery: Acton Cemetery

HMS Hindustan was built by John Brown & Company at Clydebank. She was laid down on 25 October 1902 and launched on 19 December 1903. Although Hindustan and her seven sister ships of the King Edward VII class were a direct descendant of the Majestic class, they were also the first class to make a significant departure from the Majestic design, displacing about 1,000 tons more and mounting for the first time an intermediate battery of four 9.2-inch guns. The 9.2-inch was a quick-firing gun and its heavier shell made it a formidable weapon by the standards of the day when Hindustan and her sisters were designed. Upon the outbreak of World War I, the 3rd Battle Squadron was assigned to the Grand Fleet and based at Rosyth. It was used to supplement the Grand Fleet's cruisers on the Northern Patrol. On 2 November 1914, the squadron was detached to reinforce the Channel Fleet and was rebased at Portland. Hindustan left the 3rd Battle Squadron in February 1918 when she selected to serve as a parent ship for preparations for the Zeebrugge Raid and first Ostend Raid and served as depot ship for the raids.

Apart from Brock, do you have these?

001 BROCK FA - ZEEBRUGGE RAID 23/04/1918 ROYAL NAVY

002 CRAIG W PO/13319 HMS GLASGOW 19/10/1918 ROYAL MARINE LIGHT INFANTRY

003 HOLDER HA CH/19547 4TH BN 10/05/1918 ROYAL MARINE LIGHT INFANTRY

004 HUGGINS W PO/12926 - 23/04/1918 ROYAL MARINE LIGHT INFANTRY

005 MITCHELL W 172225 HMS ATTENTIVE 06/05/1918 ROYAL NAVY

006 POCOCK FP - DRAKE BN RN DIV 29/09/1918 ROYAL NAVY

007 SMITH FJ 299134 HM S/M K5 20/01/1921 ROYAL NAVY

008 THATCHER FLH MB/1974 HMCMB NO 62 BD 18/08/1919 ROYAL NAVAL VOLUNTEER RESERVE

009 TOLRA E LONDON 10/3516 HMS VINDICTIVE 23/04/1918 ROYAL NAVAL VOLUNTEER RESERVE

010 VINCENT RG J/29249(P.O.) HMS VINDICTIVE 16/03/1920 ROYAL NAVY

011 YOUNG JD - - 23/04/1918 ROYAL NAVAL VOLUNTEER RESERVE

Cheers, Kevin

horatio2

Many thanks for clearing up the d.o.b. issue. CWGC clearly have the age wrong.

Michael

my grandfather's service record shows him as being at zeebrugge and being mentioned in dispatches, i don't have his details to hand at the moment but wondered if youhad any information on John Stanley Williams, RMLI. He was 18 at the time and is down as being in the Portsmouth Division. His register number is 18464 he enlisted in 1915 was at Jutland on HMS Hercules, do yo have any information about him at Zeebrugge as my father remembers him still picking out bits of shrapnel from both legs in the 1930's?

If you already have his service record from Kew, you may wish to be aware that his attestation pack is at the FAA Museum.

PO/18464; WILLIAMS JS; Enlisted 24/02/1915; Discharged INVALIDED; d.o.b./p.o.b. 19/06/1900 GOSPORT

Dear Gary W,

Thanks for your message. I have checked my records. I have yet to get a copy of your grandfather's record of service, though strangely the original 4th Battalion muster roll (which does have many errors) lists his initial as G. The only thing I can add is that he served in 8 Platoon, which was aboard the Vindictive, under 2Lt Norris. Sadly, 8 Platoon is one of the ones I don't have a photo of. He is not listed as wounded for the raid in the various rolls/material I have but his record of service may tell us differently. Do you have photos of him? I would be delighted to include any pix/details you can provide in my book.

Email me at dominic.walsh@ireland.com.

V best,

Dom

Hi Kevin,

Interestingly, I cannot find Richards in the list of casualties for the raid. He would not be the only such error. I have details on the other Zeebrugge men you list. Funnily enough, in my mass of memorabilia on the raid I have a Victory medal to Holder. What does this list pertain to? Let me know if you want more details on any of them.

Best,

Dom

Dom, I'm just refreshing data for the Acton Roll of Honour and William Richards lived in Acton at the time of his death in 1918. I don't know if his death was as a result of wounds during Zeebrugge raid, but as a Stoker he could have been scalded or hit by shrapnel etc. He might have died of influenza which was just starting to make its presence felt, or simply "natural" causes. He was accorded a military funeral and regarded locally as a "Zeebrugge hero" so either played some part or talked it up!!

The other list is from the CWGC database using Geoff's Search Engine for any reference to Zeebrugge. Glad to see they were already in your list.

Cheers, Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

It's nevertheless odd that he doesn't even appear in the wounded lists. The date of death and Hindustan mention on CWGC would appear to confirm him as a Zeebrugge casualty. It would be interesting to see what his record of service says, though the local newspaper clearly places him in the raid. He wasn't on the Vindictive, Daffodil or Iris so I guess he must have been on a Motor Launch. Does the local paper refer to an ML?

Allbest

Dom

Dear Gary W,

Thanks for your message. I have checked my records. I have yet to get a copy of your grandfather's record of service, though strangely the original 4th Battalion muster roll (which does have many errors) lists his initial as G. The only thing I can add is that he served in 8 Platoon, which was aboard the Vindictive, under 2Lt Norris. Sadly, 8 Platoon is one of the ones I don't have a photo of. He is not listed as wounded for the raid in the various rolls/material I have but his record of service may tell us differently. Do you have photos of him? I would be delighted to include any pix/details you can provide in my book.

Email me at dominic.walsh@ireland.com.

V best,

Dom

Thanks Dom, I do have a couple of not very good quality photos, I will scan and send, i have the date for his mention in the London gazette but couldn't find him perhaps he is down as G in that as well! I have his original service records, one of which is a roll in what looks and feels like waxed paper. The family believed his medals were donated to the RM museum when he died but we couldn't find them there.

If you already have his service record from Kew, you may wish to be aware that his attestation pack is at the FAA Museum.

PO/18464; WILLIAMS JS; Enlisted 24/02/1915; Discharged INVALIDED; d.o.b./p.o.b. 19/06/1900 GOSPORT

Thanks Horatio, first time on the forum so apologies if this sounds daft but what is the FAA museum and attestation pack?

Thanks

Gary

Hi again Gary.

Great news on the photo front. Any image is a godsend. Don't suppose you have any group shots with comrades? I'd also love a scan of his parchment record of service if poss. Re: London Gazette. You're no doubt talking about the notation that he participated in the ballot for the VC. The gazette date does indeed refer to the Zeebrugge awards gazette, but those who were in the ballot are not actually listed (there would have been c.700 marines alone!) which is why you can't find him.

My email is dominic.walsh@ireland.com. Let me have your email address and I'll seend you a copy of an article I wrote about he VC ballot which might be of interest.

Allbest,

Dom

Hi again Gary.

Great news on the photo front. Any image is a godsend. Don't suppose you have any group shots with comrades? I'd also love a scan of his parchment record of service if poss. Re: London Gazette. You're no doubt talking about the notation that he participated in the ballot for the VC. The gazette date does indeed refer to the Zeebrugge awards gazette, but those who were in the ballot are not actually listed (there would have been c.700 marines alone!) which is why you can't find him.

My email is dominic.walsh@ireland.com. Let me have your email address and I'll seend you a copy of an article I wrote about he VC ballot which might be of interest.

Allbest,

Dom

Thanks Dom my email is gpsw@btinternet.com

hope to get the photos sorted by the wekend and the documents as well

Gary

• 1 month later...

Remembering with huge gratitude all those who gave their lives for their country, especially my Great Uncle Ned Parfett MM RFA and those gallant souls who perished at Zeebrugge on St George's Day 1918. We will remember them.

• 2 weeks later...

Dom,

I came across this article in an Eng-lang Flanders Today in my continuing search on Rosslyn Park players Tuckey and Harrison. You may have seen it already.

http://www.flanderstoday.eu/sites/default/.../FT_2008_18.pdf

Wll send full thing to your email

In an interesting side alley I am also researching Brock. He was there (obviously) but also invented the Brock incendiary bullets used by JA Harman, my Zeppelin-hunter RFC pilot. 'Only connect', as the poet once said.

Brock is mentioned several times as a rugby player and was at Dulwich so high chance of him being v good. Have you any clue on his club?

I am almost certain that my project will also turn into a book, so I share your pain regarding job/kids/writing!

rgds Stephen

Thanks Stephen, very interesting.

Regarding Brock, I will look up my files. I think I may have a note of who he played for. He lived in Sutton, I recall.

Allbest,

Dom

• 1 month later...

Stephen,

Sorry not to revert earlier. Sadly, my Brock material makes no mention of his rugby club.

Good luck.

Dom