Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Here's the accounts from ADM 137/507: Reports, Zeebrugge and Ostend, 23 April and 10 May 1918

Lt Hewett RNVR: Reporting for the Experimental Party and talking about the use of flamethrowers, of which a number were knocked out before they could be used in action:

'Exceptionally good work however was done with the few that got ashore intact, especially in one instance, where Air Mechanic Gough was able to play the fire on to men who were endeavouring to land from the German destroyers.'

In the same file is an extract from Gough:

'I fell into action stations with the RMLI under Lt Lamplugh. Shortly after the seamen went over, I followed, but as the flamenwerfer I carried was very unwieldy, I could not keep up with the platoon, but followed them over the brows and across the mole. Here I found a shed which was open and on going inside found a stack of rifles and two dead men. Coming out I observed a party with weapons, including I believe a machine gun, just landing from a destroyer alongside the mole. I discharged my flamethrower on them and they ceased firing and our men who were near put them finally out of action. The flamethrower now being discharged, I was myself out of action and therefore went back to the Vindictive. I used my revolver once on one of three men who tried to get to the scaling ladders to wrech them.

This looks a much more serious account of the story ! Thank you very much ! Now I know what to dig for in German accounts again !

`Et Al' `Zeebruggers' - here are three more names for you to ponder upon ;

CHATER Arthur R N/E Captain RMLI 79D079 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 23.07.18 & 21.05.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend

DSO & To be Major R.M.L.I by Brevet to 23.04.18

With Colonel Elliott, he gave me the greatest assistance in the preperation of the plan for assault.

He is reported by Major Weller to have been of the greatest assistance in keeping up communication between the various units of the Battalion, and to have carried out his duties in a calm way, which greatly contributed to the success of the operation.

Sadsac

• 1 month later...

Just wanting to clarify what uniforms were worn by elements of the assault force at Zeebrugge. I have found reference to the RN stroming parties wearing blue naval rig with gym shoes, trousers tucked into socks, steel helmet etc. Cannot find similar info re 4th Bn RMLI - where they wearing RM blue or khaki uniform? Also, the men from the RNAS Experimental Station who supported the attack on the mole - were they dressed as sailors, marines or in their own kit?

Any info appreciated.

ALAN

Hello all in this long on-going, and interesting `saga'.

An award to recently mentioned Lt HEWETT for services Zee. May have posted this before ?? ;

HEWETT Graham S N/E Lt. RNVR 88X562 & 563

Experimental Station Stratford

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 31.07.19 N/E Post War DSC

Lt. Hewett was in command of the detachment from the Admiralty Experimental Station Watford, who took part in the attack on Zeebrugge, on the 23th April, 1918. Prior to the attack he rendered most valuable service in the fitting of smoke devices to Motor Launches and Coastal Motor Boats and portable flame throwers in "Vindictive". He volunteered to go in "Vindictive", and throughout the action displayed the utmost coolness under fire and set a fine example. Lt. Hewett was recommended for the D.S.C., after this action but he had to give way to the then officers more favourably placed to gain personal distinction. Subsequent to the 23rd April, Lt. Hewett continued to serve at Dover with distinction. He volunteered for the second attack on Ostend, and for the third which did not materialise. The intense desire displayed by Lt.Hewett to take part in all possible engagements with the enemy showed a fine spirit. His conduct at Zeebrugge was exemplary and I strongly recommend him for the D.S.C.

Sadsac

• 1 month later...
Guest JReynolds
Hi everyone.

I've made this request before, so forgive me for repeating myself. I'm researching the role of the Royal Marines in the Zeebrugge Raid which took place on St George's Day 1918 with a view to writing a book. It will be biographically based, with an entry for each man who took part and, where possible, a photo. Any snippets or leads, no matter how trivial they may seem, would be gratefully received. For my part, I am happy to help anyone researching individuals, as I have mountains of info, photos etc of both marine and naval participants. I'm always happy to check names to see what info I've got.

Best wishes,

Dom

I have some info on Petty Officer A W Evans DSM, a relative of mine, who died in May 1919 of wounds received on HMS Vindictive during the raid. I would be grateful for any info readers may have on his role in the raid. I would also be interested if anyone knows anything about Stapleton, the alleged Zeebrugge VC mentioned in the Sunday Pictorial article.

Here are the details:

Armourer 1st Class Petty Officerhttp://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view...13137f687__edn1 Arthur William Evans DSMhttp://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view...13137f687__edn2, late of HMS Vindictivehttp://mail.google.com/mail/?ui=2&view...13137f687__edn3. Wounded in Zeebrugge raid, died 2/5/1919 aged 24 years, buried Islington Cemetery, Finchley, grave no 20755M. Faded photograph in sailor's uniform. 2 funeral cards. Death certificate stating that he died in St Bartholomews Hospital. Cause of death: acute streptococcal poisoning consequent upon necessary operation following on amputation of right thigh injured by gun shot wound received at naval action at Zeebrugge on 23.4.18. Address: 26 Lonsdale Square Islington. Postcard 1 (picture of Main entrance Royal Naval Barracks Chatham): addressed to Mrs Reynolds 44 Liverpool St Islington from Rochester 7.15pm 28 MR 14: 'Dear Auntie I arrived safe and everything is alright up to now. I got her about 9.30pm. Willie stayed with me till the train went out. I will write a letter later on Arthur.' Postcard 2 (no postmark): (reproduction of model of Mural Tablet to be placed in St George's Church, Canterbury: to the glory of God and in the undying memory of the officers and menwho gave their lives for King and country in the naval action at Zeebrugge Saint George's Day MCMXVIII. This tablet is erected by their admiral. Some of their comrades and the Kent branch of the Royal Society of St George. The flag above was used in making the signal St George for England'), addressed to Mr A W Evans, 26 Lonsdale Sq, Islington, London N: 'In remembrance of St George's Day 1918. Hoping you are getting on all right. With good wishes from Vice Adm Sir Roger & Lady Keyes, Fleet House, Dover'. Newspaper cutting Sunday Pictorial: 'Sailor VC as Golf Caddie about Able Seaman Alfred George Stapleton VC, a golf caddie in High Barnet, who won his VC on the same ship as A W Evans [however Stapleton does not appear on the list of recipients of the VC: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Victo...nts_by_Name_-_S]. Note informing Elizabeth Reynolds how to claim prize money due to the estate of A W Evans.

M7148 Arm AW Evans and J39822 AB AG Stapleton are both listed as serving in the Zeebrugge Raid. I haven't checked my files yet, but I can confirm that Stapleton did not get the VC. The confusion may come from the fact that all those who served on the Vindictive, Iris and Daffodil had a notation put on their service records to the effect that they participated in the ballot for the award of the VC. AB McKenzie and Capt Carpenter were chosen. I'll let you know if I find anything else, but you can get records of service for both men on the National Archives website at a cost of £3.50 each.

Best

Dom

PS Both men are listed as wounded. I can't see Evans listed on CWGC. Is he a case for commemoration?

I've found a letter Stapleton wrote to the Daily Mirror in 1966 referring to the VC ballot. If you'd like a copy email me your address

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

• 5 weeks later...
Guest JReynolds
JReynolds seems to have gone AWOL....are you out there, Pal?

Dear Dom

I thought I had replied to your last message, but it seems that something went wrong with the transmisson.

Yes please send the info about the ballot - my address is 33 rue des Merles, 1150 Bruxelles Belgium.

Best wishes.

Just wanted to say Hi, as I am new to this forum, and what a fantastic forum.

It looks as though I found this at just about the right time, as I have been researching my family tree and found out that my Great Grandfather was killed in the raid on Zeebrugge.

His name was Thomas Eldridge, ID: CH\11534 of the 4th bn R.M.L.I. I have his service record, but no other information on how, or where he was killed, i.e. could he have been on the Iris when it was shelled, did he make it onshore, was his body brought back to england etc.

I am hoping that some of the members may be able to help shed some light on some of these questions, as I would like to know what happend, and I can keep that in mind when I visit the memorial in Dover for the first time on the 23rd April.

Kind Regards,

GP

P.S. I have the book "The Finest Feat Of Arms" On Order!

Hi there,

The book you have ordered is excellent and will give you a good account of the raid. I don't have much on your great grandfather other than that he was in 2 Platoon and went over on the Iris which suffered almost all its casualties from shelling, as few men from the landing parties ever got ashore. He is buried in a double grave in Dover with Sgt BV Sparkes, who was killed with 4 Platoon aboard the Iris. The vast majority of bodies were brought back to England.

Sorry not to be of more help. Have you tried looking at the local newspapers of the time? They often recorded detail of their local heroes who took part in the raid.

As I am researching a book on the RM role at Zeebrugge, I wonder if I could trouble you for a copy of his record of service and any familiy details. Do you have any pictures of him?

Best regards,

Dom

Hi

Thank you for the information, Somehow I had a feeling he may have been aboard the iris.

I do have his service record in PDF format and would be happy to email it to you, I also have quite a lot

of paperwork of his service that I recieved today from the FAAM, There is also a picture of him, but it is in an album so I will have to see if I can get it out without damaging it or my Sister will kill me!

The paperwork that I have recieved will all need to be scanned so may take a little time.

As I said above, I am happy to email any details or even PM them, just need to find my way around the site.

I would also be grateful if you know of any good links where I can obtain good quality pictures of the ships involved.

Kind Regards,

GP.

That's great, it would be an honour to include his image and details in my book. My email is dominic.walsh@ireland.com. When I get your email I will forward an article I wrote a few years ago about the ballot for the VC, which pertains to all those marines who took part. You will find photos of Iris in the Finest feat of arms.

Allbest,

Dom

Just wanted to say Hi, as I am new to this forum, and what a fantastic forum.

It looks as though I found this at just about the right time, as I have been researching my family tree and found out that my Great Grandfather was killed in the raid on Zeebrugge.

His name was Thomas Eldridge, ID: CH\11534 of the 4th bn R.M.L.I. I have his service record, but no other information on how, or where he was killed, i.e. could he have been on the Iris when it was shelled, did he make it onshore, was his body brought back to england etc.

I am hoping that some of the members may be able to help shed some light on some of these questions, as I would like to know what happend, and I can keep that in mind when I visit the memorial in Dover for the first time on the 23rd April.

Kind Regards,

GP

P.S. I have the book "The Finest Feat Of Arms" On Order!

This is a belated entry to this thread.

My uncle Joseph Edward ARMSTRONG took part in the Zeebrugge raid.He was a lovely quiet man( and liked his pigeons!)

All I know is that he was a stoker and would like to know whether any of his details are amongst yours.

In fact I am hoping shortly to see his 77yr old son and would appreciate any help.

Hi there,

Your uncle does not appear on the lists of those who were in the landing parties or part of the crews of Vindictive, Daffodil and Iris, so he may have been on one of the numerous other vessels that took part. I will check the Zeebrugge Association lists when I get a moment. Meanwhile, I have found two Joseph Edward Armstrongs on the online database at the National Archives. Any idea which he is? One was from Deptford and one Birmingham. You could then order up the record and it may enlighten us on the ship he served on.

Best regards,

Dom

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=19

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=19

Hello Dom,

I have a picture of the Royal Iris (the one from the River Mersey, Liverpool) decked out in armour plating. This ferry brought back wounded from Zeebrugge.

If its of any interest to you I will post the picture.

J47.

Highspen,

I have checked the Zeebrugge Association records and cannot find your relative mentioned. I think the records of service are your best bet. Let me know what you find.

Cheers,

Dom

• 1 month later...
Hi everyone.

I've made this request before, so forgive me for repeating myself. I'm researching the role of the Royal Marines in the Zeebrugge Raid which took place on St George's Day 1918 with a view to writing a book. It will be biographically based, with an entry for each man who took part and, where possible, a photo. Any snippets or leads, no matter how trivial they may seem, would be gratefully received. For my part, I am happy to help anyone researching individuals, as I have mountains of info, photos etc of both marine and naval participants. I'm always happy to check names to see what info I've got.

Best wishes,

Dom

Hi, i wonder what info (if any) you have on capt Henry Crosby Halahan, who was commanding the bluejackets during the raid?

hes my great great grandfather, and ive just began researching my family tree, so anything you may have on him would be welcome :)

Jessica

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jessica.

Gosh, what a question! Where to start? If you haven't already got them, you need to invest a few pounds buying some of the main books on the raid which have lots and lots of mentions of him plus the odd photo. The books I recommend are by Paul Kendall, Philip Warner and Captain Carpenter VC, all of which appear on ebay very regularly. After that you would need to get his record of service, held by the National Archives. This is available online at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=6

I notice there are several other Halahan RN officers who have Crosby as a second name so I assume they're also on your family tree.

Check them out at:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...&pagetitle=

Hope that helps. If you have any specific queries after you've got as far as you can then get back to me.

Dom