The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Dom, Bob, awards re `flame / smoke throwers' for interest ;

HEWETT Graham S N/E Lt. RNVR 88X562 & 563

Experimental Station Stratford Vice Admiral Dover Patrol

31.07.19 N/E Post War DSC

Lt. Hewett was in command of the detachment from the Admiralty Experimental Station Watford, who took part in the attack on Zeebrugge, on the 23th April, 1918. Prior to the attack he rendered most valuable service in the fitting of smoke devices to Motor Launches and Coastal Motor Boats and portable flame throwers in "Vindictive". He volunteered to go in "Vindictive", and throughout the action displayed the utmost coolness under fire and set a fine example.

Lt. Hewett was recommended for the D.S.C., after this action but he had to give way to the then officers more favourably placed to gain personal distinction. Subsequent to the 23rd April, Lt. Hewett continued to serve at Dover with distinction. He volunteered for the second attack on Ostend, and for the third which did not materialise.

The intense desire displayed by Lt.Hewett to take part in all possible engagements with the enemy showed a fine spirit. His conduct at Zeebrugge was exemplary and I strongly recommend him for the D.S.C.

HEWETT Graham S N/E Lt. RNVR 79D166

Vindictive Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 N/E

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend

Mentioned in Despatches

Was of the greatest assistance in the preperation and testing of the smoke and flame thrower apparatus, rendered specially good work on the "Vindictive" on the night of the 22-23rd April.

Sadsac

Hi Dom

Just to say that the following took part in the Zeebrugge raid and was killed.

Victor Willie Mayled PL/18934 Private R M Light Infantry 4th RM Batt

He died on 23rd April 1918 aged 19 and is buried in St James Cemetery Dover.

He came from Durston in Somerset and was the son of Thomas Ernest and Charlotte Ann Mayled. His memorial is in the church at Durston.

Just thought this might be of interest to you.

Sadsac,

Thanks for Hewett stuff. Where are you quoting from? Funnily enough, his wife later waged a campaign to get him a gong (which never succeeded!)

MBGM,

Thanks for that. I have quite a bit of info on Mayled, as it happens.

Cheers,

Dom

Hi Joe,

Your uncle did not serve at Zeebrugge, but clearly saw plenty of action. I could get you a copy of his record of service if you like? If so, PM me your postal address.

Cheers,

Dom

Sadsac;

Also, thanks for the Hewett information. It is curious that the last British flamethrower efforts were conducted by the Royal Navy, not the Army.

Long before the Zeebrugge raid the Special Brigade and its CO Foulkes had given up on flamethrowers, having, IMHO, badly mis-managed their effort to develop the flamethrower (FW) as a weapon, partially by making some rather astonishing technical decisions. Does anyone know if Foulkes gave the Navy any assistance in developing their heavy and portable FWs for the raid? Or perhaps Livens, who designed some of Foulkes giant 4600 lb. FWs, and who had by this time had left the Special Brigade for "greener pastures" to employ his fine design skills, was approached? Or was the Royal Navy left to reinvent the wheel?

Bob Lembke

Bob,

The RN had a secret weapon, a genius, his name was Wing Cdr. Arthur Brock.

Johan

DOM, I quote from ; Recommendations & Honour Awards ; from NA file No. ADM 171 / ????? (whatever No. you see) these are ONLY Officers RN, RNR, RNVR, RFC, RNAS, RAF.

Those shown for Hewett are 2 of 9600 !!!

As you can see the Recco part is `unique' in that it gives recco's that were never given a gong, hence NO GONG for Hewett - even tho he was recco'd for DSC !!!! He was `last on list'. Did his widow know that he received a `Mention' ??

Regards Sadsac

Bob,

The RN had a secret weapon, a genius, his name was Wing Cdr. Arthur Brock.

Johan

Thanks, Johan;

Yes, I have heard of Brock. In 1918 the same Germans, a professional engineer and a scientist, had been working on FW design for 18 and 12 years, and the light FW of 1917-18 was a beautiful design, actually much more sophisticated and elegant than the German WW II portable FW design. It looks like Brock had to re-invent the wheel. I think that the portable FW used at Zeebrugge was the Hayes, and the design, at least ergometrically, was a nightmare. Did Brock design the Hayes? (Who was Hayes?) By that time Foulkes and his American counterpart Amos Fries were busily creating disinformation about the FW, an effort that continued for almost 20 years.

Hasn't it been written that Brock died on the mole in a cutlass duel with a German petty officer, and that both died in the duel, and are probably almost buried together? Supposedly the British FW crews tossed their FW and attacked with cutlasses. Great imagery!

Bob Lembke

Don / Bob, suggest that THIS is `your' Brock !! I recall in my `young days' that `Brocks Fireworks' were what went `bang' on Bonfire night !! Actually surprised that he is cited as RAF ?? What rank do you have for him ?? RAF bod in swordplay with (possible) Junkers swordsman ?? - stout fellow indeed. Presume Brock previously in Regt. ?? Know what ???

BROCK Frank A OBE - Killed in action Major RAF 79D115 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover N/E N/E

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend N/E

Was in charge of the experimental base at Dover. He worked with a great energy to obtain the materials for an effective system of smoke screening and organising the means and of plans and of eventually developing the resources with which the force finally set out. These were of great value even on the adverse circumstances which arose on the Mole.

Major Brock was very keen on obtaining knowledge of the range finding apparatus used by the enemy.

Over to you chaps. Sadsac

Sadsac,

This is indeed our Brock, who was wearing RNAS uniform when he died. Hewett's wife was indeed aware that he was MID but felt it was not enough.

Cheers for that,

Dom

Bob,

Most of the flame throwers were destroyed before the Marines were on the Mole. Made a little mistake, of course it concerns Frank Arthur Brock and not Arthur Brock.

He most probably was killed indeed in a fight with Hermann Künne. Well, that is, they killed one another.

Sadsac,

Brock was a Wing Commander with the RNAS, which became RAF in April 1918...

Dom,

It seems that Brock was wearing a khaki uniform on the moment of the raid, with his RNAS badges on it, have you seen any confirmation on this ?

Does anyone know about what hour North Star was inside the Zeebrugge harbour, firing a torpedo towards the Mole battery ?

I found a most interesting German account which may shed a whole new light on how far the Marines actually got on the part towards the Mole battery...

Could it be correct that she sank already at 01.00 hours German time, 02.00 hours British time ?

Also, what are the different stories on Wing Commander Brock ? Any eyewhitness accounts ?

Johan, NORTH STAR Zeebrugge, do not have info re TIME, but here find two awards ;

HELYAR Kenneth C N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 79D099 North Star

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend DSO

While his vessel was lying totally disabled and under heavy fire from shore batteries off Zeebrugge, he displayed the greatest bravery and devotion to duty. He refused to leave his ship until she was sinking under his feet. Showed throughout an admirable example to those under him.

BROOKER Percy A N/E Art. Eng. RN 79D076 North Star

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 21.05.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend

To be Chief Artificer Engineer to 23.04.18

For exemplary behaviour when his ship was hit in the enine room and boiler room by two salvos, all the boilers being put out of action and the engine room wrecked, the ship being finally abandoned and sinking. Mr. Brooker is suffering from the effects of the gas from the shells.

Sadsac

Johan, yet again NORTH STAR ;

PAYNTER Charles T Killed Lt. RN 79D150 North Star

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 N/E

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend Mentioned in Despatches

Showed great bravery under heavy fire in "North Star".

When "North Star" was disabled, he took charge of the operations on the forecastle for getting in of "Phoebe". Towing wires were placed and passed across very quickly under his direction, but the tow unfortunately parted. Lt. Paynter was shortly afterwards killed by a shell exploding on the forecastle.

GALLETLY Thomas W N/E Gunner (T) RN 79D106 North Star

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend DSC

Took charge of his gun with coolness and ability under heavy fire until it was put out of action.

He showed an energetic example to his men, and successfully evacuated all the wounded before abandoning ship, she being in a sinking condition and continually hit.

Is this `thread' getting `full' ???

Sadsac

H.M.S VINDICTIVE AFTER ZEEBRUGGE RAID

post-16856-1206520731.jpg

Sadsac,

Thank you very much for this additional information !

Johan

According to some sources 16 men were missing in total after the Zeebrugge raid, for what concerns Zeebrugge itself.

Is this correct ?

Does anyone know if this included the personnel of the blockships ? I think not, but can anyone confirm this ?

Or even better, does anyone have a list of their names ?

We have :

Brock

Harrison

Tuckey

Hawkings

Rouse

Osbourne

Mayers (Thetis)

Bradford

Did this also include Eaves ?

Best from Johan

Not sure offhand, though I know that a naval rating, Bennewith, was posted as missing (lots of correspondence on it) before it emerged he wasn't missing! He wasn't Vindictive/Iris/Daffodil. All the POWs were initially posted as missing.

Cheers,

Dom

Dom,

I didn't count the POW's in. Although there seems to be discussion if they were 13 of 14...

Dom, Bob, thought the following is worthy of `mention' if only for `the story' itself ;

FINCH Norman H N/E Sergeant RMA 79D097

Vindictive Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 (Zeebrugge & Ostend)

VC For most conspicuous gallantry.

Sergeant Finch was second in command of the pompoms and Lewis guns in the foretop of "Vindictive" under Lt. Charles N.B. Rigby, R.M.A.

At one period the "Vindictive" was being hit every few seconds, chiefly in the upper works, from which splinters caused many casualties. It was difficult to locate the guns which were doing the most damage, but Lieutenant Rigby, Sergeant Finch and the Marines in the foretop, kept up a continuous fire with pompoms and Lewis guns, changing rapidly from one target to another, and thus keeping the enemy's fire down to some considerable extent.

Unfortunately two heavy shells made direct hits on the foretop, which was completely exposed to enemy concentration of fire. All in the top were killed or disabled except Sergeant Finch, who was, however, severely wounded; nevertheless he showed consumate bravery, remaining in his battered and exposed position. He once more got a Lewis gun into action, and kept up a continuous fire, harassing the enemy on the mole, until the foretop received another direct hit, the remainder of the armament being then completely put out of action. Before the top was destroyed Sergeant Finch had done invaluable work, and by his bravery undoubtedly saved many lives.

Sadsac

Morning everyone. not too sure if any of this helps... its from Ancestry RN records (such as they are); a list of all on ancestry. I have details of each one, but the file is too big to be uploaded here. If you email or pm me your email will be glad to send onto anyone......

(my laptop is going off for an upgrade at work this afternoon, but as soon as i have it back i will check to see here).....

LIST_OF_ALL___ZEEBRUGGE_RAID.doc

Example of information given for each man on list:

Name: George Arthur Osborne

Service Branch: Royal Marine Light Infantry

Unit: 4th Royal Marine Bn. (Zeebrugge Raid)

Death Date: 23 Apr 1918

Cause of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Zeebrugge Churchyard (B 390)

Service History: Enlisted Exeter 11/5/14 ; Plymouth Bn. at Dunkirk 19/9/14-12/10/14 ; RM Brigade 12/9/14-19/11/14 ; HMS "Warspite" 5/4/15-14/2/18 ; 'C' Company, 9th Platoon, 4th RM Bn., Killed in action as part of the Royal Marine Storming Party during the attack on Zeebrugge Mole 22nd/23rd April 1918

Service number: PLY/16683

Notes: Appointed Unpaid Lance Corporal 12/8/15, Paid Lance Corporal 29/4/17, promoted Corporal 29/9/17 ; A Dairyman ; b.Kingskerswell, Newton Abbot, Devon 30/12/1895 ; Next-of-Kin: Parents, George & Lily Jane Osborne, Yon St., Kingskerswell, Newton Abbot, Devon, later of: 2 Sunny Side Cottages, Kingskerswell, Devon. ; 1914 Star issued to father 4/10/19.

Kind Regards.

Susan

Susan, I'd love a copy sent to:

dominic.walsh@ireland.com

Many thanks and best regards,

Dom

PS I have Osborne's medals in my collection!

Johan,

Have sent you PM re missing list. Original list (excluding officers) was 24, though many wer later reported as POW, safe or bodies identified.

Eves was indeed listed as missing. By the way, Bennnewith was Vindictive after all.

Cheers.

Dom

Dom, on its way to you. Good job you got in before the old laptop went off ........

how weird that I should randomly choose "Osborn" to show as an example....... and you have his medal... Wow. He was just simply randomly picked from the list....

eerie..... well, it is nearing the 23rd.....

Hope you enjoy

Susan.