domwalsh

Hello Dom,

I'm just wondering if you have anything on the following chap:

CH 802(S) F Craig RMLI

I have his framed original MID certificate & photo

Thanks Bob R

Hi Dom,

Is MID is LG: 17/May/1918

I'm unsure of the Zeebrugge raid dates! but if it is a few months earlier than the LG date it might be possible. Thats where your expertise comes in. Cheers Bob

Hi Bob,

I'll check when I'm at home and get back to you. Is he MID for the raid?

Best,

Dom

Hi Bob,

I cannot find your man on the Zeebrugge muster lists and the London Gazette date doesn't tally either so I'm afraid we must conclude he wasn't on the raid.

Cheers,

Dom

Dom,

Thanks for your time & effort with this, it's a pity though. never mind . most appreciated

Regards

Bob

Hi Bob,

I cannot find your man on the Zeebrugge muster lists and the London Gzaetter date doesn't tally either so I'm afraid we must conclude he wasn't on the raid.

Cheers,

Dom

Dom,

I am researching my Great Great Uncle Frederick William Bowlt. I know that he took part in the ballot for the VC and that he was on the Hindustan prior to being KIA on the 23 April 1918 thanks to his service record from the NRO. I think his service no was J29331. Do you have any other information?

regards

Stu

Stu,

I do have a small newspaper article with a poor quality image of your great great uncle Frederick William Bowlt. If you send me an email to Paulkendall291@aol.com I can send you a scanned image.

The text of the article states 'A DOVER ZEEBRUGGE HERO A.B.F.W. BOWLT Killed in action at Zeebrugge on April 23rd. Son of Mr. W Bowlt of 17 Union Row, Dover.

I do also have a photo of his grave at St. James's Cemetery, Dover. His epitaph reads 'FOR KING & COUNTRY'. I can send this photo as well.

Do you have a good quality image of your great great uncle?

Kind regards

Paul

Stu,

I do have a small newspaper article with a poor quality image of your great great uncle Frederick William Bowlt. If you send me an email to Paulkendall291@aol.com I can send you a scanned image.

The text of the article states 'A DOVER ZEEBRUGGE HERO A.B.F.W. BOWLT Killed in action at Zeebrugge on April 23rd. Son of Mr. W Bowlt of 17 Union Row, Dover.

I do also have a photo of his grave at St. James's Cemetery, Dover. His epitaph reads 'FOR KING & COUNTRY'. I can send this photo as well.

Do you have a good quality image of your great great uncle?

Kind regards

Paul

Thanks Paul,

I don't have a photo of him but I will ask my gradfather if he does.

regards

Stu

Hello there,

I have an interest in an Anglesey Zeebrugge casualty -

DIBBEN, William Rowland(s), AB 214950 RN aboard HMS IRIS II, (?KIA) 22 April 1918 and buried in StJames Cemetery Dover.

Age 31. Commemorated on the Menai Bridge town War Memorial, which is atop the picturesque Church Island, in the shadow of the old Menai Bridge and mostly surrounded by the waters of the Menai Straits. Also his name is carved on the wooden panels of the "North Wales Heroes Memorial Arch" in nearby Bangor, which records the WW1 fatalities of the six old counties of North Wales, in county/parish order.

In conversation with a WW1 RGA veteran of that town in the 1970s I gathered that his relatives still lived in Menai Bridge at that time, but I couldn't follow it up then.

I have no other info at present, so thought I might ask if you do?

Sincerely,

LST_164

Hi there LST_164,

The only help I can offer is that Dibben's death is referred to in a document at the National Archives dealing with Zeebrugge casualties. Unfortunately I did not note the details, but my chum Paul Kendall, who has contributed to this and other Zeebrugge discussions on the Forum, may be able to help. The reference is ADM116/1656.

Best regards,

Dominic Walsh

Dominic,

Thanks for the reference re. DIBBEN - I'll follow it up with Paul Kendall.

Regards,

LST_164

• 2 weeks later...

Some further details on Cpl Richard Neate RMLI who has been mentioned on here before. Not only is he commemorated on the Castle Combe memorial but on the Chippenham memorial as well.

From the Wiltshire Times 4 May 1918

Among those who fell at Zeebrugge on April 23rd was Cpl RHR Neate son of the late Mr R Neate of Castle Combe and of Mrs Short now residing at Englands, Chippenham, whose husband Pte W Short formerly a postman at Chippenham is serving in France.

Cpl Neate had barley reached the age of 22. Educated at the school at Castle Combe and later a member of the church choir, he left home some years ago and was apprenticed to a motor tyre manufacturing company in Birmingham. But his liking was the sea and five years ago he joined the Royal Marines. He served for some time at Deal and had as a non commissioned officer officer, Sgt TJ Ball of Corsham. Later he went to the North Sea and then for some time was stationed in the Orkney Isles. He was home on leave about six weeks ago, returning to duty on March 27th. Soon after the attack on Zeebrugge was arranged. Cpl Neate was one of the volunteers in that hazardous undertaking. When the world was informed of the splendid account of our men on that occasion, the news was conveyed to Mrs Short as to many other proud though heartbroken mothers that her son was among those who had given their lives in their country’s cause. It was intimated by the authorities that I t would be possible for the body of Cpl Neate to be sent home for internment and through the good offices of the mayor, this was accomplished. The body returning to Chippenham on Sunday afternoon (28 April). The coffin covered with the Union Jack, was placed on a bier and conveyed from the station to the mother’s home in Englands. Four wounded soldiers from the Red Cross Hospital accompanied the removal to the house. The arrival at the station coincided with the return there for entraining of the Volunteers who had been engaged in that alien drill at Westmead and as the coffin was conveyed from the station It passed in front of the men who formed up and came to the present. A similar honour was paid by the Volunteers met with passing through the town.

The funeral took place on Tuesday (30 April) and prior to the internment at Castle Combe, a service was held at the Chippenham Parish church. The vicar officiated and with the junior members of the choir met the cortege at the west door of the church. The coffin was carried by wounded soldiers from the Red Cross Hospital under the command of Sgt Wilson. The congregation included the Mayor and members of the corporation and also many towns’ people.

At Castle Combe, there was a large assembly of villagers and black curtains were drawn at every house approaching the church. Chippenham Volunteers under Sgt Devonald formed the firing party. They were formed up and came to the present as the coffin was placed in the grave, which had been dug under a stately Yew tree in the church yard. The Rev FKL Appleyard officiated at the burial. After the service, three volleys were fired and Bugler L Wright sounded the Last Post. Amongst the mourners was Lt Cdr Watkins DSO.

In the Deaths column of the same issue

Mrs Short tenders heartfelt thanks to all kind friends for their messages of loving sympathy with her and family in their sad bereavement.

Kinfauna, Englands, Chippenham.

Wiltshire Times 11 May 1918

Chippenham Town Council, Monthly Meeting Tuesday 7th May 1918

A Zeebrugge Hero

The Mayor referring to the attack on April 23rd said the council would, he was sure, be proud to know that Chippenham was represented in that gallant exploit, though he regretted to add that the lad to whom he refereed, Corp RH Neate had lost his life in the venture. The town had an opportunity of honouring the memory of the deceased as the body had been brought home and interred at Castle Combe, where the residents paid every respect and it was pleasing to hear from the villagers that Corp Neate had worthily lived up to the good opinion formed of him as a lad (hear hear).

Wiltshire Times 1 June 1918

Memorial to Zeebrugge Hero

The parishioners have subscribed for and erected in the churchyard a memorial stone over the grave of L/Cpl Richard Neate RMLI who was killed in the attack on Zeebrugge on April 23rd.

Wiltshire Times 29 April 1919

In ever loving memory of Cpl Richard (Richie) Neate of HMS Vindictive who gave his life in the exploit of the navy in it’s attack on Zeebrugge on April 23rd 1918 aged 22 years.

Our all the loss and time with Christ the well earned rest,

Though cross of death attained, in deeds of simple duty done:

Deep in our souls we know that nothing more could e’er more given

Can equal that which death for thee has won.

From his sorrowing Mother

Kinfauna, 70 Woodlane, Chippenham

Neate's grave in Castle Combe cemetery. The memorial stone that was erected by the villagers is at the foot fo the grave.

post-5702-1159904202.jpg

• 1 month later...

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

Hi Dom

I'm fairly new to this forum and have just noticed your request.

I'm currently trying to put a little 'colour' to all the names on our Parish War Memorial at Birch Green,

Hertfordshire. One of the names commemorated may be of interest to you :

Lt C.N.B Rigby RMA - HMS Vindictive - died 23/4/1918 aged 23.

He is buried in the Churchyard of the adjacent village of Hertingfordbury. His parents were John & Margaret Rigby of the Moat House, Hertingfordbury.

Does he show up in your research?

regards

Tony

hello there , i,m trying to trace my Grandfather role in the navy. He joined 16th march 1916 and his number was j 51628 ARTHUR GENTLE we believe he served ATTENTIVE II 16TH NOV 1917 - 25 FEB 1918 but to find out any further details. was invalided out 28th aug 1918. We have a photo of him and cap badge is HMTBD. CHEERS colin gentle

Hi Tony,

Yes, Lt Rigby is a well-known name in the Zeebrugge context. I have a copy of an article from the Globe & Laurel that may be of interest. Let me have your email and I'll forward it to you. His medals are held by the RM Museum.

I'd be very interested to know if you find any surviving family connection.

Best wishes,

Dom

Hallo Dom

My father took part in the Zebrugge Raid in 1918. He was George Henry Meek, RMA, ex RMLI. What I can remember of what he told me many years ago was that he was back in England on an Officer training course when they asked for volunteers for a certain operation on the basis that those who didn't volunteer would be Returned to Unit. The operation was of course the Zebrugge Raid but he never landed as his boat stood off in case back-up was required. This wasn't required so he returned to England without taking part in the actual landing.

Denizon.

Thanks for that Denizon. I double checked just in case, but your father is not listed in the 4th battalion musters.

Regards

Dom

Having been pointed in the right direction by the forum i,ve got hold of my Grandfathers service records . It now seems clear that he served on the LIGHTFOOT from 21st may 1916 stationed at Harwich, transfered with the Lightfoot to the Dover patrol ,16th nov 1917. On the 25th feb 1918 was transfered to PEMBROKE from where he was discharged because of ill health.

I contacted the F A A M hoping they may have some medical records . A very helpful lady there said that some files at Kew do contain medical details , but are differcult to find. She,s sending me a copy of his enlistment paper,which contain details previously unknown by my father. Which was his service in T A from 1912 until he joined the Navy.

BEST REGARDS COLIN GENTLE

Dom,

Thanks for the reply. I don't think the men of the 4th. Battalion had the opportunity of volunteering. I suspect they had no choice. I'm afraid I can't remember any more I can add, like so many more survivors he didn't say much about his war-time experiences.

Denizon.

Hi everyone.

I've made this request before, so forgive me for repeating myself. I'm researching the role of the Royal Marines in the Zeebrugge Raid which took place on St George's Day 1918 with a view to writing a book. It will be biographically based, with an entry for each man who took part and, where possible, a photo. Any snippets or leads, no matter how trivial they may seem, would be gratefully received. For my part, I am happy to help anyone researching individuals, as I have mountains of info, photos etc of both marine and naval participants. I'm always happy to check names to see what info I've got.

Best wishes,

Dom

Dom - from my `gongs' file ;

UNDERHILL George N/E Lt. RMLI 79D105 N/E Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 G Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend DSC Was in the Marine Storming Party.Showed great coolness and courage. At a critical time he organised and led reinforcements with the greatest dash and contempt for danger. His action was of the utmost value to the success of the operation.

Have more such if they could be of help. Regards DAF

Thanks for that. From memory, I think his DSC and medal group is at the RM Museum.

Best wishes,

Dom

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder to anyone looking for info on the Zeebrugge Raid 1918, be it background on participants, photos, medals, badges, book etc, then do drop me a line as I have a mountain of material and a growing card index on those gallant men from RMLI/RMA/RN/RNR/RNVR/RNAS (and one RE!). Equally, I am always looking to top up my files with any info on participants, particularly RMs, for my planned book.

Many thanks,

Dominic.Walsh@ireland.com

I am researching London born Able Seamen who took part in the Zeebrugge raid and were fatally wounded. Would appreciate any genuine links from relatives with this sensitive research. Thanks. Chelseawh@talktalk.net

• 2 weeks later...

I will shortly be getting copies of the Zeebrugge Association (1918) membership lists. If anyone has a name of someone they suspect took part in the famous raid I'd be happy to do a look-up (though you'll have to wait a couple of weeks til I get them).

Cheers,

Dom