Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

Thanks for that DOM, interesting Forum. Will `Favourite' and return for another look.

Sadsac

Paul Kendall's book about the Zeebrugge raid has made it to Walsh Towers aned I can confirm that it is a wonderful addition to the body of work on the raid. Well worth buying, not least to support a Forum stalwart.

FAO Dominic ,

I have been following the forum with graet interest maybe you could answer a few questions for me.

My father in laws father served in HMS Landrail,of which we cant find a picture, a world war 1 destroyer at Jutland.

He then volunteered for the zeebrugge raid and ended up in the Iphegima block ship .He returned unscathed but his records show him

on a depot ship through this period.

can you tell me if he is mentioned on the raid or after?

what is the little bronze medallion depicting the zeebrugge raid and where did it come from?

his details are L/seaman Arthur Edward PARR service number J14686

We would be very greatful for anything you can turn up for us.

Best Regards

melvyn kendall

ex RE CDO 59 sqn RE

Hi Melvyn,

Thanks for your post. I will check my files to see if he is mentioned though there are no comprehensive crew lists for the blockships so it may not be possible to confirm his presence. The mention of a depot ship does not mean he wasn't there, as blockships wer not listed on record of service unless killed or wounded or mentioned for gallantry. I have various Zeebrugge Association membership lists so will see if he is listed. The badge that appears by my name as my avatar is the lapel badge of the Zeebrugge Association.

Best,

Dom

Paul Kendall's book about the Zeebrugge raid has made it to Walsh Towers aned I can confirm that it is a wonderful addition to the body of work on the raid. Well worth buying, not least to support a Forum stalwart.

Glad to hear that Paul's book is now out. I pre-ordered it from Amazon and they are still listing it as not yet available.

Siege Gunner,

If you contact the publisher directly at The History Press on 01453 883300 they have a few copies remaining and they can dispatch them to you within 5 working days.

Hope this helps you to get a copy more quickly.

Kind regards

Paul

Melvyn,

I have now checked my files and Parr is listed on two membership lists of the Zeebrugge Association. They both list him as having served on Sirius, one of the blockships in the first Ostend raid. The association encompassed all those who took part in both Zeebrugge and Ostend raids. PM me your address and I'll pop the relevant sheets in the post to you.

Regards,

Dom

Hi Melvyn,

Thanks for your post. I will check my files to see if he is mentioned though there are no comprehensive crew lists for the blockships so it may not be possible to confirm his presence. The mention of a depot ship does not mean he wasn't there, as blockships wer not listed on record of service unless killed or wounded or mentioned for gallantry. I have various Zeebrugge Association membership lists so will see if he is listed. The badge that appears by my name as my avatar is the lapel badge of the Zeebrugge Association.

Best,

Dom

Thanks for the prompt reply Dom. My address is Wayside Cottage Crouch Lane Winkfield Berks SL4 4TN

BEST WISHES

Mel Kendall

Thanks Dom,

My address is Wayside Cottage Crouch Lane Winkfield Berks SL4 4TN

EMAIL. mel.t.kendall@googlemail.com

Mel,

It's in the post. Do you have pix of him?

Cheers,

Dom

Paul,

I have not made it to a decent bookshop yet. Any mention of my grandad Trim who was on the VC ballot in your book?

Len

Dear Len,

Your grandad trim is in the book. It is an honour to pay tribute to him. Thank you for your contribution.

Kind regards

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Book arrived last week, finally was able to start reading in the last few days and it is splendid indeed !

I would like to find out if any men from the Bury (Lancashire) area took part in the raid. Although Bury is not exactly a leading seafaring town I have come across a few early-war Royal Marines in my researches. I was amazed to discover that there were several Bury and Bolton men at Trafalgar!

Mark,

Without checking every man for whom I have a file it would be difficult to say. I don't recall any offhand, but Paul Kendall may know of some.

Cheers,

Dom

Thanks Dom,

My address is Wayside Cottage Crouch Lane Winkfield Berks SL4 4TN

EMAIL. mel.t.kendall@googlemail.com

Dom

Sorry but the posted stuff you sent me has not arrived can you redo

thanks

sappercdo Melvyn Kendall

Mel,

It's in the post. Do you have pix of him?

Cheers,

Dom

Dom

Still looking for pix of L/s Parr.will send as soon as we find one

Melvyn Kendall

Oh, how annoying. The Post really is becoming shocking. Will recopy soonest.

Dom

Hi folks,

I am currently researching the Zeebrugge raid as my great uncle was Thomas Tannahill Cochran (RN), was listed as having been killed at Zeebrugge on the Vindictive. Dom are you able to confirm if there are any details of which part of the operation he was assigned to as the national archive records are very sketchy.. Thanks Steve

Hi Steve.

I'm not at home, so I don't have my records to hand, but I'm pretty sure I have a small newspaper cutting relating to his death. As I recall, his rank was shipwright. I'll dig it out and get back to you. Do you have any photos of him?

Best,

Dom

PS Melvyn, fresh copies in the post.

Steve,

As I thought, I have a small cutting from the local papers in Gillingham referring to his death. He served aboard the Vindictive. In addition, he is mentioned in a book on the raid suggesting that he was assigned to "the fo'c'sle for the anchors, but he was killed early in the attack".

PM me your address and I'll send relevant photocopies.

Allbest,

Dom

Hi Dom,

Thankyou for the information. Please forward the details you have to 7/12 Terminus street, Grange, South Australia, Australia 5022. If you need me to cover the cost of sending information overseas let me know.

In your reply you refer to a book reference, can you send me the details? Unfortunately I have not found to date a photo of Thomas given he was 19 when he passed on and my relatives have not indicated that a photo exists. I'll keep looking and let you know.

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work.

Yours

Steve

Steve,

As I thought, I have a small cutting from the local papers in Gillingham referring to his death. He served aboard the Vindictive. In addition, he is mentioned in a book on the raid suggesting that he was assigned to "the fo'c'sle for the anchors, but he was killed early in the attack".

PM me your address and I'll send relevant photocopies.

Allbest,

Dom

Oh, how annoying. The Post really is becoming shocking. Will recopy soonest.

Dom

Dom,

Received all in post at last / many thanks

Melvyn Kendall

sappercdo