Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeebrugge Raid 1918

domwalsh

This is OT (although I am very interested in Zeebruegge), but has the Forum been malfunctioning, or been in the middle of revisions, for the last several days? I have not been able to post for a couple of days; we will see if this works.

Or, perhaps, management has come to their senses and decided to black-ball me, a move long overdue.

Bob Lembke

I did it! I managed to get the Zeebrugge Raid into the Times City Diary!

Well done, Dom – is that what you City types call exercising leverage ...?

Great news Dom ! Tomorrow it will be in our local newspaper on 50.000 copies, the story on Brock, Harrison and Tuckey.

DOM, further to your input re HENDERSON - find here the two awards to him for Gallipoli and Zeebrugge Raid ;

HENDERSON Oscar N/E Lt. RN 80E033 Ribble

Vice Admiral Commanding Eastern Mediterranean Squadron

16.08.15 Gazetted

Landing at Gallipoli Peninsula 25-26.04.15

Commended for service in action. Took part in the landing at Morto Bay, and with commendable initiative pushed on in support of the Marines, after he had assisted in the disembarkation.

HENDERSON Oscar N/E Lt. RN 79D100 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend DSO

When a shell carried away the port side of the bridge of his ship and caused a serious fire amongst the ammunition and bombs, he led a volunteer fire party with a hose on to the upper deck to quench the fire. Took over the command of the ship after Commander Gibbs had been mortally wounded.

Bags you add `for interest' what ship he was serving on for the award, as you `brung it up' !!

Photo's not yet arrived, but I await with much thanks & patience !!

Sadsac

JOHAN, I presume this is `your' HARRISON ?? ;

HARRISON Arthur L N/E Lt.Cdr. RN 79D273 & 274 Vindictive

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 17.03.19 Gazetted

Zeebrugge Operations on the night of 22-23.04.18 VC (Posthumous)

For most conspicuous gallantry at Zeebrugge on night of 22-23rd April, 1918.

This officer was in immediate command of the Naval Storming Parties embarked in Vindictive. Immediately before coming alongside the mole Lt.Commander Harrison was struck on the head by a fragment of a shell which broke his jaw and knocked him senseless. Recovering conciounous he proceeded on to the Mole and took over command of his party. who were attacking the seaward end of the Mole. The silencing of the guns on the Mole head was of the first importance, and though in a position fully exposed to the enemy's machine-gun fire, Lt.Commander Harrison gathered his men together and led them to the attack. He was killed at the head of his men, all of whom were either killed or wounded.

Lt.Commander Harrison although already severely wounded and undoubtely in great pain, displayed indomitable resolution and courage of the highest order in pressing his attack, knowing as he did that any delay in silencing the guns might jepodise the main oblect of the expedition, viz, the blocking of the Zeebrugge - Bruges Canal.

Shades of `daring do', What !!!

Sadsac

JOHAN - here two RECOMMENDATIONS re Harrison - one MiD you will see did not get Gazetted. Presumably because he later received the V.C for same action ?? ;

HARRISON Arthur L Killed Lt.Cdr. RN 79D136

Vindictive - In Command Seaman Storming Party

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 N/E

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend Mentioned in Despatches

Was one of the first to land from "Vindictive" on to the Mole, in spite of great difficulties.

He behaved with great coolness and bravery, directing the advances of the various storming parties with Lt.Commander Adams.

He was killed leading a rush along the parapet from the station to the westward just befotre the recall syren was sounded.

HARRISON Arthur L N/E Lt. RN 78A071 N/E

C-in-C Grand Fleet 15.09.16 Gazetted

Despatch of 23.08.16 - Battle of Jutland 31.05.16 Mentioned in Despatches

Commended for services in the Battle of Jutland, 31.05.1916.

Sadsac, yes, this is 'my' Harrison indeed, thank you very, very much for that great information !

Sadsac,

Oscar Henderson served on the Iris. Here's a photo of him courtesy of a previous post a while ago by Markinbelfast.

Cheers,

Dom

post-1778-1208516992.jpg

Dom, for photo's arrived safe & sound, for which many, many thanks - great stuff !!

To your original request in on Royal Marines Zee & Ostend 3 awards for ;

COOKE Theodore F.V N/E Lt. RMLI 79D088 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 21.05.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18

Noted for Promotion to Major by Brevet on Promotion to Captain

Of this officer Major Weller reports ; "By his personal behaviour under fire, set a magnificent example to his men, and lead them forward with the greatest courage and dash in spite of being wounded. He was wounded a second time whilst endeavouring to carry a wounded man back to the ship.

I consider this officer to be worthy of the highest award.

CHATER Arthur R N/E Captain RMLI 79D079 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 23.07.18 & 21.05.18 Gazetted

Operations on Belgian Coast 23.04.18 Zeebrugge & Ostend

DSO & To be Major R.M.L.I by Brevet to 23.04.18

With Colonel Elliott, he gave me the greatest assistance in the preperation of the plan for assault.

He is reported by Major Weller to have been of the greatest assistance in keeping up communication between the various units of the Battalion, and to have carried out his duties in a calm way, which greatly contributed to the success of the operation.

WELLER Bernard G DSC Major RMLI 79D078 N/E

Vice Admiral Dover Patrol 23.07.18 Gazetted

CMG & To be Lt.Colonel R.M.L.I by Brevet to 23.04.18 For exemplary behaviour when his ship was hit in the enine room and boiler room by two salvos, all the boilers being put out of action and the engine room wrecked, the ship being finally abandoned and sinking.

Mr. Brooker is suffering from the effects of the gas from the shells.

Sadsac

DOM, `Et Al', do not want tp be terribly boring re RM's Zee & OST so referrence my previous posting

I also have ditto's for the following RM's - shout if you require further info on any of them ;

COOKE COOKE LAMPLOUGH UNDERHILL THATCHER PEACOCK CORDNER EAGLES PROCTER PALMER BROXDWOOD DE BARRY NORRIS WATTS TAYLOR

Got a feeling I have already put some of these on post !!!

Sadsac

DOM, for De Berry ;

DE BERRY Hubert A.P N/E Lt. RMLI 79D187

Marine Storming Party

Vice Admiral Dover 23.07.18 N/E

Mentioned in Despatches N/E

As you can see nothing in info section ; N/E = No Entry

For same it was not Gazetted.

Sadsac

DOM, do not know if you want / have this info, but `in case' ;

Crew of HMS/m C.3 at Zeebrugge raid - apart from those already posted ;

Lt.(Ty) John Howell-Price RNR DSC

ERA ALLEN

Coxswain was HARNER / HARMER ???

Sadsac

Sadsac,

The full crew of C3 was:

LT R.D.SANDFORD V.C., R.N.

LT. J.HOWELL-PRICE D.S.O., D.S.C., R.N.R.

STO. H.C.BENDALL C.G.M.

LDG. SEA W.G.CLEAVER C.G.M., D.S.M.

PETTY OFFICER W. HARNER C.G.M.

E.R.A. A.G. ROXBURGH C.G.M.

I've sent you pix of all but Howell-Price, so here he is:

post-1778-1208859661.jpg

There is a big article in tonights Newcastle Evening Chronicle about the raid on Zeebrugge in 1918

Cheers Ron

Ron, I assume the article is about Paul Kendall's new book, out tomorrow. He has done a great job of garnering publicity by contacting local papers about their local heroes who took part. If you do a Google search under Paul Kendall and Zeebrugge 1918 you will find a few online. Dom

Ron,

Is there any chance of scanning the article and sending me a copy via email Paulkendall291@aol.com ?

Kind regards

Paul Kendall

Hello DOM, thanks for the Pic. of Howell-Price.

I see you have not included ERA ALLEN in your crew list of C.3.

Was he indeed in the crew ??? I have it from a pretty good source that ALLEN WAS !

I will await my reply to question to him to confirm his statement that he was.

Stand-by !!!

Sadsac

No record of an ERA Allen....he definitely wasn't a crew member. What's your source?

Dom

PS I would point everyone to the excellent article by Paul Kendall in today's Daily Telegraph upon the occasion of the 90th anniversary of the Zeebrugge Raid

DOM, my `source' was / is a former member of The Archive Working Party (reseachers), RN Submarine Museum. He was our A B C boat expert (and believe me he is), and C's are his speciality. However, even he can be infallible !! I await his further input.

Sadsac

Ron,

Is there any chance of scanning the article and sending me a copy via email Paulkendall291@aol.com ?

Kind regards

Paul Kendal

It's in the post Paul and best of luck with your book;) I'd have put it on the forum, but not sure how to?

Cheers Ron