The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum nationality

Liam

Guest Bill Woerlee

Eddie

G'day mate

My Mother was from Gibraltar traceable back to the 1690s

Mate, I can do one better. I can trace my ancestry allll the wayyyy back to my father. Sadly there are some uncharitable souls who state that this claim may also be somewhat exaggerated by one generation. :)

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Caryl

G'day matess

Next is more work on my husbands

Strewth Caryl, how many do you have? :unsure:

I've given up on my Irish and my English ones seem to be a long line of b's

That's a tough hand to work with Caryl. I have an easier job - since the dawn of time, or more specifically when my GGGGGGGGGF Johann in Gouda decided to call his son Gerardus Martinus, things went very smoothly. All down the centuries the name remained - not only in my family tree but in a near relation's family tree - you will find that there was a Dutch General by that very same name having a bit to do with being in line command of the Dutch troops in Bosnia last decade. Military men run in our family. No better example is Gerardus Martinus Woerlee who was conscripted into the Grande Army of Napoleon to take over the world. He deserted soon after crossing the border into Russia so he missed out on Borodino. In his defence he was ordered to secure the lines of communications. After the problems at Moscow, he understood where his best interests lay.

On our side of the family, my older brother - no prizes for guessing his name - has broken the tradition by calling his first born son Justin. Will the chain disappear?

Cheers

Bill

I've given up on my Irish and my English ones seem to be a long line of b's Caryl

Mind you, Caryl, we all assume that the man shown on the birth certificate is actually the biological father! And current research indicates that this is not so in a significant % of cases. So all our pedigrees get more iffy the further we go back. :) Phil B

Oh well here goes - English, but with Scottish-Canadian, Flemish & Dutch ancestors. Born in Norfok now living in the Isle of Ely

Chris

Phil

You are so right! I sometimes have a giggle and think 'yeah right' when people tell me about their l-o-n-g ancestral 'line(s)' (I'm only jealous)

I've largely given up on genealogy now, prefer the sort of stuff on this forum and looks like so many others feel the same.

Caryl

Strewth Caryl, how many do you have?

LOL!!! LOL!! did I miss out some punctuation there? Only the one, for now

One at a time is more than enough thanks. Although I share a birthdate with Liz Taylor!

'Woerlee' that is an unusual name there Bill, I wondered about you. I would like that one, then I might not be so fed up with it all!

Care for a swap?

Caryl

Hell, a couple more posts and I'll be at Skindles!!

Guest Bill Woerlee

Caryl

G'day matess

'Woerlee' that is an unusual name there Bill, I wondered about you. I would like that one, then I might not be so fed up with it all!

In Oz, when everything was strongly Anglo after the war, a name like that stuck out. I was always the last in the alphabet until some Jewish kid with a Z surname beat me - and in a class that means always last. Like the name Crapper, it stuck in the craw of the Anglos. It ensured that either I would end up mean or an emotional cripple. Whimper whimper .... ;)

As for the name itself, it originates in Gouda, Holland. Much to my very surprise, there is a person in Florida of nearly the same age as me with my exact name - that was strange. I have my GF's name as my middle name - Siebe - not common at all. Maybe you ran into him when you were in Florida?

Cheers

Bill

Guest Shelley Williams

Born in Buckinghamshire, moved to Cambridgeshire, now live in London.

Doing family research I have so far found out I have, English (Buckinghamshire, Norfolk, Eton blood in me), Irish, Welsh and Russian (Ukarine and Lithuiania, hope I have spelt them correctly).

Shelley :)

Looks like we are all a mixed bag here. The gene pool has been well and truly diluted!

Bill I did wonder if you were Bill from Woerlee, thought it might be an Australian place name

No I didn't meet your namesake in Florida, unless he was sitting next to us on Clearwater beach - oh memories, it's snowing here! Did you find him on Google?

And where is Egbert these days, haven't seen him on for while?? I thought he'd have a bit to say about forum nationality

There are quite a few Canadians but haven't seen them post in this thread and is there only one South African on the forum. Kathie?? I have a query about a South African soldier that I must post. I need some help with archives and research there

Actually I need help with an Australian sodlier too, my uncle who emigrated and joined the army and was killed in an off duty accident but that is post WW2, so it'll keep till I am in UOT area

Caryl

Guest Bill Woerlee

Caryl

G'day matess

Did you find him on Google?

No, I went to a genealogical site which allowed you to search through the Social Security numbers. Amazing the data that is available.

Cheers

Bill

Scottish, living in London. unusually however I'm not anti-English - in fact I consider myself a very fair person - as I don't care who beats them at sport.

:)

that said, look for a country who's people have tackled anti racism and multiculturalism better than the english - particularily london as that is my main area of reference - have and I think you'll find it a long hard look.

Scottish, living in London. unusually however I'm not anti-English - in fact I consider myself a very fair person - as I don't care who beats them at sport.

Reminds me of the time I was in the Highlands and England were playing some sort of "important" :wacko: game of football against the Cameroons.

Lots of the Scots were cheering for the Cameroons.

Influence of the Cameroon Highlanders I suppose :lol:

Melbourne Australia - the most livable city in the world!!

Tim L.

The least likeable of all the Australian cities in my limited experience of the city and its weather.

The least likeable of all the Australian cities in my limited experience of the city and its weather.

Don't be like that - if you don't like the weather, wait 5 or 10 minutes and you'll get another change of season! At least down here we get 3 months of winter & the rest quite nice - not the other way around like it is in the "homeland"!

Guest Bill Woerlee

There are two sayings about Melbourne:

1. The best view of Melbourne is in the rear vision mirror.

2. You can tell a Victorian anywhere but you can't tell a Victorian anything.

I have a son, DIL and grand daughter living there and nothing they do can change my mind on this issue.

Cheers

Bill

langley B don't ask yourself - 'do I like the city of Melbourne - but - ask does the city of Melbourne like me?'

Tim, that was a great publicity shot of Melbourne and the beautiful 'blue' Yarra. Hot air balloons in the sky and everything! I am a Country Victorian, you know that's the area outside Melbourne before you get to the Murray. But now I've 'gone West' to Perth, it's like a lost world over here.

Barnsey, I think that you really out did everyone with your Multi Cultural experience, as no one tried to compete with you as you were a sure winner of that category.

Caryl, Genealogy is good fun to research when you have a shipwreck, the odd suicide, the WW1 KIA, the odd burnt to death saga and families being whiped out with tummy bugs on the Australian Goldfields. I condensed my pictorial geneological studies into a year as I didn't want to devote decades to it as some people enjoy doing.

Oh yeah, did I mention that I live in A U S T R A L I A ?

Scottish, living in London.

Did you know that there are only 11 English living in Scotland and 976,000 Scots living in England. Wonder why ?

Not a lot of people know that.

Roland. :D

( See above comments )

Sots sent down south to educate the heathen southerners can be considered as missionaries. Heee! Heee!

I'm born Scots, live in England with Polish ancestry traced back to 1240 AD

Tom

Caryl, Genealogy is good fun to research when you have a shipwreck, the odd suicide, the WW1 KIA, the odd burnt to death saga and families being whiped out with tummy bugs on the Australian Goldfields. I condensed my pictorial geneological studies into a year as I didn't want to devote decades to it as some people enjoy doing.

Sheree

That is so true. Couldn't agree more

The personal stories are what make it more interesting for me, not just my own but other people's too. I always get distracted by the social history of the times, the wars or as you say a shipwreck or three!

Also one of my Irish ggrandfathers' disappeared in Alaskan/Yukon Gold rush, so that's taken me into some interesting paths - anyway, long story and not for here. I've written all over the place, read books and found every available website (I think!) on that

It's amazing what you learn along the way

Never been a names and dates collector, prefer to put flesh on those old bones

Caryl

PS and I was nearly an Australian myself. My parents did think of emigrating before I was born, my dad would have liked to have joined his brother, already over there, but sadly he was killed (buried in Canberra cemetery), and they must have then decided not to go

Caryl, NEARLY an Australian, oh well what the hell that's close enough to be an Australian!

I wish everyone who wrote in their Nationality wrote in a tiny biography. Eg F, b1960, M23yrs, 2 F offspring

(the M stands for Married, the F female, I don't want people to interpret it as I was a Male for 23 years!)

Roland, why 973,000 scots in England?

special request by your womenfolk mate :-)

everything equals tho, TC Smout, Scotland's top historian (in my opinon) is english. Thus a brilliant educator gets to work in a country whose society values education.

Roland, why 973,000 scots in England?

special request by your womenfolk mate :-)

Special request from yours more like.... :P

Can you tell us where the 11 Englishmen living in Scotland are?

Then there'll be 10 Englishmen living in Scotland...etc (to the tune of 10 green bottles)

:D

Roxy