Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum nationality

Liam

Beppo we will be back..... ;)

Roland.

Beppo - is he talking about England's rugby team, England's cricket team, Britain's curling teams, or any other amazingly under-achieving sports team.

As our resident team games expert, i think you should tell us :ph34r:

Beppo we will be back..... ;)

Roland.

Actually it is a slight misquote. As is well known, Roland models himself on that right wing neo-n ooops! neo-conservative politician Arnold Schwarzenegger. :)

As "Conan the Republican" actually said: "I'll be back" :lol:

You know, I've re-read this thread about 10 times and am convinced I'm missing half a dozen inside jokes.

Question ... how does one country (okay three countries) about the size of New York and Pennsylvania combined have so many regional differences and characteristics? This is very strange since We (the US) have an excuse because people kept coming here from all over ... but there have been waves of peoples flooding GB for at least a Century ... well, I guess there's the S Asian immigration of the 60s ...

but seriously folks ...

Size doesn't matter....

Actually, if you think about it larger geographic nations have less diversity than smaller ones - (ie Canada). Switzerland on the other hand is probably one of the most diverse nations of Europe. Diversity is more than people immigrating to your country its where people live - the mountains, the ocean, cities, etc. That is perhaps a greater influence of diversity more so than migration.

Andy

"I for one, fear the day when local accents disappear, as regional variations are a historical imprint."

This is by in large the case in the US today, and Kate you are right it is a sorry piece of identity to lose.

We have had waves of immigration over the course of history, but the overwhelming majority of the population hardly ever moved beyond a 10 mile radius of their birthplace, thus traditions, accents etc etc were fairly static until easy and cheap long-distance travel and the mass media, particularly braodcasting, expanded people's horizons.

I for one, fear the day when local accents disappear, as regional variations are a historical imprint.

Did I say that I was Australian, I really meant that I am part German, Irish, Scottish and English and then I maried a Dutchman.

But I like to add to that, that I am a fourth generation Australian.

You know, I've re-read this thread about 10 times and am convinced I'm missing half a dozen inside jokes.

Question ... how does one country (okay three countries) about the size of New York and Pennsylvania combined have so many regional differences and characteristics? This is very strange since We (the US) have an excuse because people kept coming here from all over ... but there have been waves of peoples flooding GB for at least a Century ... well, I guess there's the S Asian immigration of the 60s ...

but seriously folks ...

Andy,

You are correct there are inside jokes on the Thread but "you" are excluded as you don't appreciate the finer points of Cricket and Rugby and the passions raised :lol:

Your point about immigration.Kate's right we did not as an Island race move around much.So immigrants who arrived settled and adapted to the locality.In my time I have met Germans,Poles and Italians who settled here during and post WW2 with broad Scots accents.

What you have to bother about is the number of UK customs you still have and I'll just mention New York.Is it not named after a small City in England?

George

Did I say that I was Australian, I really meant that I am part German, Irish, Scottish and English and then I maried a Dutchman.

Englishmen are rarely purebloods (even those who can claim to have come across from Germany in the sixth century). Although I am a proud Hamsphire Hog (with family records going back before the Regency), I am also of Norfolk and Devon stock (both with Scots blood); I married a Welshwoman whose family can show a link back to the Normans. As for my daughter, she is generally Welsh when the English are beaten at rugby but otherwise doesn't bother about race.

As a family we think what makes this country great is our uncanny ability to take the best from each wave of immigrants, be it naan bread or West Indian music.

Stephen B)

Guest carolealmond

Surrey,British Columbia,Canada with many Scottish ancestors,married to a Canadian with English ancestors.

30 miles from Vancouver where the next winter Olympics will be in 2010.Hoorah!!! :D

A Scotland rugby win against England is celebrated with such gusto North of the border because it's such a rare event - the reaction of a pauper stealing a morsel from the royal table. Normal service to be resumed next year, and the next and the next............. :lol:

From Cromwell's County, Huntingdonshire.

Home of the Hunts.Cyclist Bn. & the New Model Army.

Best wishes Roy

Thought I would have a quick look to see how the thread is going. Seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Currently residing in Jamaica since last Thursday but have to come home later on this week.

Its too hot outside so just relaxing in the hotel's internet cafe with a cool beer and thought I would catch up on things.

Liam

Thought I would have a quick look to see how the thread is going. Seems to be getting bigger and bigger.

Currently residing in Jamaica since last Thursday but have to come home later on this week.

Its too hot outside so just relaxing in the hotel's internet cafe with a cool beer and thought I would catch up on things.

Liam

And rack up a few more points towards his colonelcy...... ;)

Tim - love the reflection - a blue Yarra! - it almost looks swimable!

Bill - isn't that supposed to be Straylya?

I'll leave you all to guess where I come from. (or you could read the details to the left)

Cheers, Frev

Must be a different Yarra to the one yesterday! It sure didn't look that colur.

I'm originally a Pommy - but we can trace the family back to France in the early 1400's. I now live in Sale, Victoria in the "lucky country" - Oz.

Just to add to the multi-national mix - I work for a Danish company & have relatives in Canada (East & west but not in the middle) & South Africa.

Off this tread entirely - the most mili-cultural experience I've ever had was drinking Danish beer in a Mexican restaurant with an Australian, a Turk, a Syrian and a Swede; in an American hotel in Dubai! Howzat!

No, actually named after the unsuccessful brother of a successful king ... James, Duke of York.

Andy,

It would have ben a real "beggar" for us all if it had remained New Amsterdam and the language of America was Dutch with a bit of French thrown in for good measure :rolleyes:

George

Guest Bill Woerlee

Frev

G'day matess

I was adopting the Pauline Hanson pronunciation. The "li" sound is replaced by "y" - however I did toss the Oz in just for effect.

Strā'ya

I've bin ta towns that neva close down

From Ipswich to Roma and old Buderin Town

But please explain now why ya hafta moan,

An still call Strā'ya your home.

P. Hanson "The Girl from Ips" - famous musical.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Tim

G'day mate

Back in the days of yore when I was a student and took a ride to Melbourne to see the "Big Smoke" my cobber and me felt that we had to experience every part of the city. After seeing Burke Street Mall on Sunday - dead as a door nail - we were a tad bit disappointed to we wandered off for a burger at some greasy spoon. We felt re-invigorated so we took a tour of the Yarra. We were on the old Punt St bridge - not that modern bridge that lives there now and dared each other to jump in. I lost my shirt, I swam the river, I've done all the dumb things. Problem was that we stank when we were drying off in the sun on the grassy banks. We stank for days - like an old swamp. We were definite chick magnets - not! The upside down river is still the same.

So what puzzles me is how they got that blue water in the picture.

Cheers

Bill