Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Forum nationality

Liam

Jake,

Fife, very very interesting. My genes began in Cellardyke. I have many photos of Cellardyke and of my ancestors gravestones etc. where exactly are you from?

I am fourth generation Australian, just incase you and others on the forum weren't aware of that.

I am a Scottish, Irish, English, German Australian. And what a tumultuous mix it is.

Sherree,

I know your question is directed at Jake but since you are Homesick :D

Born St Andrews,lived in Kirkcaldy,Cowdenbeath and Glenrothes and spent many happy Holidays with my Granparents in Tayport.

Mind you, I'm talking about the 1950's and 60's.Before the Road Bridges were built and as a treat, instead of the train, we crossed the Tay and the Forth on the Ferry.

Happy days.

George

Interesting. Sounds like fun in Fife.

Are you now in Cheshire? My GGG Grands are from thereabouts, there were boundary changes in Cheshire and was it lancashire and I am confused as to where exactly my ancestors came from. Apparently they used to hang around Cheadle and Stalybridge according to their marriage certificate.

If I had a dollar tonight for everytime that I said 'hey my GGG Grands came from there' in a thread, I'd have three dollars.

Sherree,

As a Youngster life in Fife was fun.

Kirkcaldy,Cowdenbeath and Glenrothes were Coal Mining Towns. I missed the reality although, as a Policeman, I'm sure my Father saw it.For example.There was a Disney Film made some time ago about Children saving Pit Ponies.The reality is that many Ponies were blind as they spent so much time underground.

Cheshire, our Resident expert is John Hartley,so hopefully he will pop in soon.

There are a few "Cheadles" about.In Stockport(which was part of Cheshire until 1974) are Cheadle, Cheadle Hulme and Cheadle Heath.I am sure they were separate Towns at some time but have gradually been absorbed into Stockport as it expanded.There is also a Cheadle in Staffordshire which is the County south of Cheshire.

I'm not sure about Stalybridge.I have only been there a few times and that was merely to change trains.

I'll alert John to your question.

George

My ears were burning...

Sherree - geographically, Cheadle and Stalybridge were and are part of Cheshire. Cheshire still correctly appears in their postal addresses. The dividing line between Cheshire and Lancashire is the River Mersey (with the south side being Cheshire).

Prior to 1974, both areas were Urban District Councils carrying out many local authority functions, but with major services (like education) being provided by Cheshire County Council. In 1974, there was massive reognisation of local government with new "metropolitian county councils" being created, as well as "metropolitian borough councils". The Urban Districts were abolished.

In this neck of the woods, the Metro County was "Greater Manchester". This was almost entirely a strategic authority or one governing services like the police that operated across the whole area. Stalybridge and several other small councils became the Tameside Metropolitian Borough. Cheadle and other small councils around the town of Stockport, became the Stockport Borough. Both carry out the full range of services includng education.

Some years ago, the then government abolished the Metro County, leaving just the Boroughs to provide almost all services and agencies such as the police being left outside of direct democratic control.

In terms of the Cheshire/Lancashire thing - both Stockport and Tameside are made of constituent areas from both sides of the River. Confusing? Not half.

Cheadle is just down the road from me - have you got any addresees, etc where your rellies came from?

John

In terms of the Cheshire/Lancashire thing -

"Cheshire? That's Lancashire with carpets, i'n't it?"

Ian MacMillan, born Barnsley Yorkshire, addressing an audience in Northampton recently.

"Cheshire? That's Lancashire with carpets, i'n't it?"

Ian MacMillan, born Barnsley Yorkshire, addressing an audience in Northampton recently.

I think "Yorkshire" is the relevent word here.

A county devoid of the understanding of the niceties of life - like carpets.

England

Martin

If we are getting into a Yorkshire/Lancashire thing, I was recently informed that a Yorkshireman was like an Aberdonian...without the sense of humour.

With apologies to all Yorkshiremen, Lancashiremen and Aberdonians :ph34r:

(battens down the hatches!)

Roxy

If we are getting into a Yorkshire/Lancashire thing, I was recently informed that a Yorkshireman was like an Aberdonian...without the sense of humour.

With apologies to all Yorkshiremen, Lancashiremen and Aberdonians :ph34r:

(battens down the hatches!)

Roxy

"You'll have had your tea"?

Is it true that an Aberdonian invented double glazing so his kids couldn't hear the ice cream van?

"You'll have had your tea"?

Is it true that an Aberdonian invented double glazing so his kids couldn't hear the ice cream van?

Don't look at me! I only live here.

I think "Yorkshire" is the relevent word here.

A county devoid of the understanding of the niceties of life - like carpets.

And Electricity. :lol:

I take it you all know the definition of perpetual motion?

"A Yorkshireman chasing an Aberdonian who has borrowed 10 pence from the Yorkshireman"

Or so I was told many years ago in Aberdeen :D

George

No, it's not true. :angry:

The truth is that the Aberdonian told his kids that the ice cream van only plays chimes when he has run out of ice cream. :)

An ice cream man in Reading was found dead in his van last night.

He was covered in ice cream , choc sauce and hundreds and thousands.

Local police belive he topped himself.

Regards, Bernard.

• 3 years later...

The Evil Empire (USA)

This is probably a question for Chris but now that we have over 11000 members it would be interesting to know where in the world forum members live and which countries are covered.

I have seen posts from the UK, Ireland, Belgium, France, USA, Canada, New Zealand, Germany and even Japan to name but a few.

Apologies if this question has already been raised but I guess the answer is changing every day.

Liam

Jesse,

You wanting to reinstate the Monarchy? :lol:

George

Well reinstating this thread was a good start :devilgrin:

From downunda.... but not quite as far down as normally, its getting quite HOT 'up' here in Darwin

Stormy

Roosendaal, the Netherlands.

Daddy came from Glasgow, Mummy came from Pitlochry and I come from Pretoria in South Africa...( no that is not the same as Kenya or Uganda!!)