Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Lex, You have done a sterling job and only four are remaining. Of these four, two require some research and a third requires some foot-slogging. I am coming direct to you via email but for others who may be interested the ones left for Lancashire are 1) AINSDALE - Stella Rose Boue-Blandy, QAIMNS, on a memorial in St. John's Church. 2) ASHTON-IN-MAKERFIELD - Lady Mary Emmeline Laura Gerrard, VAD, cremated but remains/memorial likely to be in St. Thomas' churchyard/extension. 3) GREATER ACCRINGTON - Margaret Alice Baron, VAD, I know that you are well and truly on the case of this one. 4) MANCHESTER - Hilda Florence Letitia Peare, VAD. Another which I know that you are looking into.

Hi Jim,

Had a semi productive weekend - I didn't get over to Southport, there was an airshow on so traffic was going to be a nightmare, so by next Sunday I'll have them, promise!

The good news, I have Lady Mary Emmeline Laura Gerrard on the war memorial in St Thomas's churchyard, and will be getting access to the cemetery plans on Thursday to confirm if she is listed on a headstone/family plot.

The FANTASTIC news, my dad (Neil Smith - please credit him with this one!) has found Hilda Peare - there is no headstone but I will pass all info over to you & pictures - her plot was purchased by the military, therefore the cemetery has no right to move the headstone (even if unstable!) so she either never received one, or they removed it at a later date & never returned it. She was buried in the same area as the commonwealth's & war memorial, alongside another V.A.D in Southern Cemetery, Manchester.

Just in the process of uploading photo's, will send them shortly

Lex

Brilliant, Lex, thank you. If only Hilda Peare had served overseas (Ireland to UK doesn't count). She died form a disease contracted whilst nursing and as the grave was purchased by "the military" (and the burial records confirm this) then she would likely be eligible for a CWGC headstone. But for now it has to remain unmarked.

• 2 months later...

Just bringing to the top in case anyone is visiting any of the venues over Christmas and can get me a photograph.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Taxal, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine)(Dunboe), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed),

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Greater Accrington

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Fenton, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Kessingland, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Bexhill-on-Sea, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Hull, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Chaumont, Estaires (2), Ecrouves (Muerthe-et-Moselle), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra and Dublin), Co. Limerick,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 3, Gloucester), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Allentown, Fallsington, Newtown, Philadelphia, Pottstown, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Scranton, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr, York), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Hello Jim

Having lived in Worcestershire for some 35 years I would love to get you a picture of Alvesbury but I havent a clue where it is, neither do my neighbours.

I spoke with my ex-collegues at the County Council and they drew a blank when checking locations and parishes, can you confirm that is the correct name you are looking for.

Regards John

Hello Jim

Having lived in Worcestershire for some 35 years I would love to get you a picture of Alvesbury but I havent a clue where it is, neither do my neighbours.

I spoke with my ex-collegues at the County Council and they drew a blank when checking locations and parishes, can you confirm that is the correct name you are looking for.

Regards John

John, Error on my part. I was told it was Alvesbury but on further investigation it is Alvechurch in Worcestershire (north east of Bromsgrove). My requirements relate to Elsie Janet Underwood of which I have two needs. Firstly the Alvechurch one. Her name (jointly with her husband) is on a memorial in St. Laurence Church, Alvechurch a copy of which is here :- http://buckinghamshireremembers.org.uk/casualties/m5108.html I have a copy of this but very small and it won't reproduce easily. The other need to the same lady is on the reverse of her husband's grave marker in Shepherd's Lane Cemetery, Beaconsfield (Harold Stanley Underwood). This is shown on the same website above. If you can get either/both of these in reasonable density I should be most grateful.

Jim

What are the names and locations of the ones you want in Albany, Australia and Co. Roscommon.

Normanton is not far from me so can you give me this detail also.

Peter

Peter,

Albany, Australia - Nellie SAW, QAIMNS. You kindly provided me with a photograph of the Albany Memorial. My understand is that she is commemorated on the Albany Memorial, the Albany Avenue of Honour, Albany Weslyan Church Honour Board, Albany War Memorial, Denmark Honour Board and Denmark War Memorial. I have photographs re the Albany Memorial, the Albany Avenue of Honour, Albany Weslyan Church Honour Board and the Denmark Honour Board. This last one I could do with again but more pixelated. That leaves my needs for her name on the Albany War Memorial and the Denmark War Memorial. BUT, lastly, a photograph of her grave - with or without marker. I understand that this should be a small granite block with similar to her left and right relating to her parents and sister. The grave was adopted by the CWGC in 2007 and I am not sure if they installed one of their's too.

Co. Roscommon - error on my part. It was the grave of Margaret Annie Cox, TFNS, buried in Ardcarn churchyard, but I have since obtained this. I have now updated the list above.

Normanton - Florence Portman, munition worker died of TNT poisoning on the 26th November 1917. She was interred in sec. I (letter i).5.5., Normanton Upper Cemetery on the 2nd December 1917. A photograph of her grave required. It is possibly unmarked as many munition workers were so photograph of her grave or best indications of the unmarked plot required

Jim.

Hello, Jim

I maybe in the Monymusk area over the holiday. Please send me the information you have on the memorial you require and I'll see what I can do. Are you looking for a memorial in Peterhead also? I might be there in the new year. If you still have my e-mail address from before send the info there, if not, post it here.

BW

Kevin

Hello, Jim

I maybe in the Monymusk area over the holiday. Please send me the information you have on the memorial you require and I'll see what I can do. Are you looking for a memorial in Peterhead also? I might be there in the new year. If you still have my e-mail address from before send the info there, if not, post it here.

BW

Kevin

Hello Kevin,

It is not a memorial but a photograph of a grave that I require. She is Annie Wilson, QARNNS, who died on the 5th November 1918 and is buried in plot 1131, Moneymusk Parish Churchyard. Hopefully her grave will have a headstone but, if not, if you can work out the plot then a photograph of that will have to do.

As for Peterhead I have two requirements from there. One is speculative and the other is certain. Firstly, I know that a B.J. Bruce was a VAD. That is all that I know about her. But through trawling death registers someone discovered a Bella Jane Bruce who was buried in grave A/92 in Peterhead Cemetery in November 1918. The grave should be marked as there are five members of the Bruce family in the same grave. I am hoping that a headstone will reveal if she died in serving her country.

The other Peterhead requirement is a photograph of the grave of Mary Christian Smith, VAD, who died 5th November 1916 and is buried in compartment L, grave 7, in Peterhead cemetery.

These three requirements are all that I have left for Aberdeenshire but shall understand if you cannot find time to get them (and if the snow keeps off). I have sent a copy of this to the email address that I had in 2008. Kind regards, Jim

Hi Jim i have been trying to find out who got the picture of the nurse in Thurso cemetery Caithness for you. There is a girl in Australia setting up a web page of Australians buried in the Uk and one of them is buried in a tiny cemetery not far from Thurso ,so maybe they could help her out if you can find who it was. Many Thanks.

Jim just ignore post ,i have just been on to the Australian site and the cemetery must have been done as it has now removed Mary.

Edited by mysie

I can't promise anything as I'll have limited time, but I'll be in Oxford and Melbourne over the next few weeks.

Hello Mia, My needs are as follows :-

OXFORD, Christ Church cathedral cemetery - Violet MOBERLY, VAD, died 9th November 1918. Her father was serving there and hence the privilege. Photo of grave required.

MELBOURNE, St. Paul's Cathedral - there is said to be a Nurses Roll of Honour memorial in the cathedral but a search by a correspondant has previously failed to find it. But I am assured that there is one that includes the names of L.B. McBryde, and Louie Blanche Riggall both of the Australian Red Cross Society.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, Kevin (and June) for photographs. Most grateful. I have now taken Moneymusk off the list. Also added some more USA ones should anyone be over there.

Hi Jim

May be able to help with the Durham / Chester Le Street area for you..... What you after?

Paul

Hi Jim

May be able to help with the Durham / Chester Le Street area for you..... What you after?

Paul

Hello Paul. I am after photographs relating to Lily L. Lowes. She was a Voluntary Aid Detachment worker who died in 1918. Her name is said to be on the war memorial to the rear of the parish church (not sure if external or internal) at Chester-le-Street, on a memorial (possibly a Roll of Honour) inside the church and also on a new memorial in the market place. Information I got about her came from another thread on the GWF :-

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=211855

The last entry on the thread mentions another woman commemorated on a memorial in Pelton Lane Ends, possibly relating to a munition worker. By coincidence I know of a local munition worker who died - Maria Haverty - and it could well be her. I can't find a grave for either women. But a possible four memorials as above would ge great if you can get them.

The following web site is interesting and shows an old war memorial at Bridge End, Chester-le-Street and I am guessing that it is this memorial (or at least the panels) that are at the back end of the church. Lily's name is on it as a nurse.

Is it definitely Ch-Le-St Parish church? I assume this is St Mary and St Cuthbert Church? There are several other churches in the vicinity. Can you please confirm?

Ok Jim

If im passing through i will see if i can find anything...

The written source said "the parish church" so sorry, cannot be more specific.

Hi Jim

I know we've had a private e-mail chat about the elusive Beatrice Stevens from Chilton, Oxfordshire (formerly Berks) but do you have a photo of her father's grave in Chilton Churchyard? if not I have one if you'd like a copy.

Also do you have any in Dorset you need photos of? Could also cover area around Yeovil if any needed from there.

Hilary

Hi Jim

I know we've had a private e-mail chat about the elusive Beatrice Stevens from Chilton, Oxfordshire (formerly Berks) but do you have a photo of her father's grave in Chilton Churchyard? if not I have one if you'd like a copy.

Also do you have any in Dorset you need photos of? Could also cover area around Yeovil if any needed from there.

Hilary

Hilary, thank you for the offer but I already have a photograph of the memorial on Beatrice's father's grave. I live in South Devon and have fulfilled all of my requirements in the South West. Post #1354 above I keep up to date and is all, so far as I know, of the photographs that I need. Bearing in mind the number of female casualties the list is remarkably short and my thanks are due to members on here, a couple of "Gravefinders General" (you know who you are) and Find A Grave members. The listing is amended with occasional new ones going on and others coming off. New ones tend to be VAD or munition worker's graves as they are discovered. A number of US ones are going on at present as I am doing some research on them currently. I usually know of the women and their sacrifice but not where they are buried. Beatrice Steven's own grave is one of these as she is buried "somewhere" in France as one of the French Red Cross members. My West Country needs I can sort out. Cornwall is complete. Devon has a name on the Navy War Memorial on Plymouth Hoe that I need but not yet as the CWGC has yet to put the "in from the cold" name on the memorial. Dorset and Somerset are complete. Hampshire has one left and is like Plymouth - I await the name being added to the Hollybrook Memorial. Wiltshire has two in Chippenham but the memorials have yet to be found as the churches where they were have been demolished and the whereabouts of the memorials are lost. Son at Ely and daughter at Abingdon means that most of the memorials/graves in Oxfordshire and Cambridgeshire I have done. What is left is remarkably few and I hope that members here, where they are in striking distance, will help me reduce the numbers further. The Register that I am preparing (been at it for 15 years+) is likely to go to the printers at the end of 2015 so that is a closing date that I am aiming at. But 2016 seems more likely, Jim