Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim, do you still need a photo from Delta City, Mississippi? If it's the Delta City, in Sharkey County, that's a few miles east of Greenville, I may be able to persuade someone to take me there. Or have you got the photo you needed now?

Jim, do you still need a photo from Delta City, Mississippi? If it's the Delta City, in Sharkey County, that's a few miles east of Greenville, I may be able to persuade someone to take me there. Or have you got the photo you needed now?

Berenice, Thank you for your response. You are, sort of, working from an old listing the current one being on page 52 (which I update from time to time). Yes, I did, and still do, need a photograph but let me explain. My interest is in the grave of Alicia Lee Cage, US army nurse, who is buried in Vickland Cemetery, Delta City, Sharkey County, Mississippi. I tracked a photograph of her grave down through Find-A-Grave. I have written a number of times to the person who posted it there without any response or reply. Obviously I can't use it because it is her copyright. So I am in the position of having a photograph that I have lifted off the Find-A-Grave website but I won't be able to use it in my Register. So I need another. Rather frustrating but if you get in the vicinity I would welcome one. The good news is that if you go into Find-A-Grave and print off the photograph of the headstone you will see exactly what you are looking for so perhaps saving you a lot of "hunting" time. But watch out for the alligators!!

Jim.

Have you got the Birmingham area covered? Only just discovered this thread.

Jim.

Have you got the Birmingham area covered? Only just discovered this thread.

These are my requirements in Warwickshire. Any close to hand?

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth, Longbridge

They are all do-able Jim, being within 25 miles or so, but you will have to be patient with me, as I do work pretty awkward shifts.

That said; a good day at it should take care of two or three, if not all of the venues in one go. Punctuated by a swift `arf here and there along the way.

It`s a beautiful area, and it will be a pleasure to have a drive out there in any case. Just hope you`re not in any great hurry.

They are all do-able Jim, being within 25 miles or so, but you will have to be patient with me, as I do work pretty awkward shifts.

That said; a good day at it should take care of two or three, if not all of the venues in one go. Punctuated by a swift `arf here and there along the way.

It`s a beautiful area, and it will be a pleasure to have a drive out there in any case. Just hope you`re not in any great hurry.

No hurry whatsoever. If you can pick them off I shall be most grateful.

BARFORD - Muriel Mary GRAHAM, VAD. died 6/7, 12/18. Her name is on the Barford War Memorial and also on a memorial screen in St. Peter's Church, Barford.

GREAT ALNE - Eliza Millicent ELVENS, QARNNS, died 30/12/15. Her name is on the Great Alne War Memorial and on the Memorial Hall Roll of Honour. (you may like to consider contacting the hall committee as it is likely to be locked if an unscheduled visit).

KENILWORTH - Constance Emily Mary SEYMOUR, VAD, died 12/2/17. Her name is on the War Memorial at (or in) St. Nicholas' Church, Kenilworth,

LONGBRIDGE - Elizabeth Stephens IMPEY, Friends War Victims, died 30/12/15. Her name is on a memorial stone (as is her mother's) in Longbridge Meeting House. I have done a bit of research today and this seems to actually be in Longbridge Lane, Northfield. The building was sold to the Christadelphians in 1953. I just hope that the original stone is still in there.

For those needs within buildings it might be as well to try and make contact before hand to gain access.

Ok Jim. Leave them with me. It`ll make a change from searching out individual gravestones, but strangely, I enjoy that too. Perhaps I really should get out more.

I`ll be in touch soon via a P.M.

Elvins, Elizabeth Millicent

Sister, Queen Alexandra Royal Navy Nursing Service Reserve.

Killed in an explosion on board HMS Natal lying at anchor in the Cromarty Firth, Scotland on 30th December 1915.

The third daughter of Thomas, a miller, and Mary Ann Elvins, The Flour House, Great Alne.

She did not serve overseas and has no medal entitlement.

She is commemorated on the Saint Mary Magdalene Church Memorial, Great Alne. :poppy:

• 4 weeks later...

Steve Plumb has kindly finished off my Warwickshire requirements (until I find some more) so time for an update.

United Kingdom

ABERDEEN, Monymusk, Peterhead
ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns
DEVONSHIRE, Exeter, Plymouth

DURHAM, Chester-le-Street, (for Hartlepool see below under Yorkshire)
ESSEX, East Ham
GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli
HAMPSHIRE, Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Leinster (Kenagh), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine)(Dunboe), Co. Tyrone (Edenderry, Minterburn - when Emily Gray's CWGC headstone installed)

KENT, Ashford

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Clayton-le-Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Manchester, Mellor, Nelson, Royton, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Kirton in Lindsay
LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Acton (unmarked plot), Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate (including unmarked plot), Islington (unmarked plot), Kensal Green (including unmarked plots), Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Nunhead (unmarked plot), Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth (Earlsfield), West Ham, Willesden
NORFOLK, Ranworth
NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering
NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge
NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,
OXFORDSHIRE, Oxford
SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond
STAFFORDSHIRE, Fenton, Ogley Hay

SUFFOLK, Lowestoft
SURREY, Brookwood, Chiddingfold
SUSSEX, Arlington, Horsham
THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy
WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

WORCESTERSHIRE, Alvesbury
YORKSHIRE, Barnsley, Harrogate, Hartlepool, Hull, Normanton, Scarborough, Sheffield

WORLD
ARMENIA, Erivan
AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney
BELGIUM, Brussels, Froyennes,
CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec
FRANCE, Estaires (2), Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Mentone, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux
GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry
IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)
IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Letterkenny), Dublin (Drumcondra), Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,
ITALY, Bordighera
MACEDONIA, Skopje
MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi
SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)
SIBERIA, Tomsk
SRI LANKA, Kanatte
U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Fallsington, Philadelphia, Reading, Ridgway, Rockledge, Tamaqua, Wilkes-Barr, York), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)
YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Just sent you an e-mail regarding Clackmannanshire requirement.

Can you refresh my memory re the Lundin, Fife requirement. I thought we had covered that one?

And, on the off chance, can you tell me more of the Melbourne, Australia requirement?

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, thank you for completing my Clackmannanshire requirement by photographing the unmarked grave of Bessie Coltman. I agree with you - the grave is almost certainly unmarked and is the plot that you found. She is nearly one for the In From The Cold team. She served extensively overseas and must have seen some terrible things. She was posted to a UK hospital but after only one day was placed in a mental hospital. She was discharged from the army on the 15th October 1918 due to insanity and she died of influenza on the 26th November 1918.

As to Lundin I had some confusion as it was a name off the Lundin War Memorial that I required The Scottish British Legion call the Scoonie War Memorial as Lundin. The name I require is not on the seperate Lundin War Memorial so I no longer need on from there. I have amended the listing above to delete both Alloa and Lundin.

As to Melbourne I need photographs as follows :-

1) There is a plaque to the memory of Edith Cavell in St Paul's Cathedral in Melbourne.

2) also a memorial bust of Edith Cavell, by Margaret Baskerville, which was in a park in the city and was moved to the Shrine of Remembrance, Birdwood Avenue, Melbourne. The plinth on which the bust stands depicts her execution by firing squad.

3) Research has found a roll of honour in St. Paul’s Cathedral, Melbourne, Australia. The names of L.B. McBryde and Louie Blanche Riggall are said to be on it. That said, I had someone who went to photograph it and couldn't find it, even after speaking to the cathedral historian who had no knowledge of it. I am sure that it is there.

Wilson Road Synagogue, Sheffield. On September 6th 1933 Harry Epstein, son of a Liverpool furnisher, married Minnie (Queenie) Hyman, the 18 year old daughter of a Sheffield furnisher, at the Synagogue. Just over a year later, on September 19th 1934, their son Brian was born. Later he would manage the record department of their Liverpool store, NEMS (North End Musical Stores) which led to him managing Gerry and the Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer and the Dakotas, Cilla Black and of course the Beatles.

Just thought I would add this :blush:

In January 2000, the Synagogue was sold to City Church for £200,000. A massive refurbishment scheme then began, taking the rest of that year.

So the memorial may have gone. If you contact forum member "Dean1" he lives in Sheffield and has mentioned this memorial in an old post . He may have a photograph of it.

Found this :-

http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic/5586-sheffield-nightingales/#

Ellis 1918. Thank you. I cannot read the names on Sharrow Vale but I can plainly see that Cumming on St. Andrews is called James (someone said that it was Jessie) so not for my Register. Nice to be able to see confirmation.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Just sent you an e-mail regarding Jeannie Wright and Perth Congregational Church.

Job done.

Kenny

Safely received, thank you. Mark Duffy has allowed me to use his photograph re the Perth Academy War Memorial so until another requirement turns up, my needs for Perthshire is complete. Thank you. Jim

Jim, how many on your list for Le Havre? I have a friend who lives overlooking the Cemetery who can get any photos for you.

Did you ever get the one from Jerusalem, Charlotte Berrie?

Yes, I have a photograph of Charlotte Berrie's grave thanks to Ralph MacLean.

As to Le Havre, my requirement from there is an ongoing "watch and wait" one. On the Salta Memorial, under "Q.A. Imp. Mil. Nursing Sce" is "1 unknown nursing sister". Some while ago I managed to convince the CWGC that this could only be Staff Nurse Jane Roberts and I see that the CWGC website now shows Jane Roberts as being named on the Salta Memorial. As yet, the name of Jane Roberts' name has not been added to the Salta Memorial and I have assumed that, as cast brass plates, the naming has been left until either funds, or more names have accumulated, before being updated. It has been a while, now, since someone looked for me to see if her name has been added and as your friend lives nearby, if it is not too much of an effort, a stroll to have a look would be appreciated.

Jim,

What do you need from Weaste? I will try and get these done this weekend.

That would be great. I am after a photograph of the headstone of Lilian Cleworth, VAD, who died on the 14th May 1917 and was buried in Weaste Cemetery on the 17th May 1917. She was aged 22.

Hi jim

Will be making my annual visit to Wandsworth in July, let me know what you need and ill get it for you

all the best

Rob

Thank you Rob for coming forward.

Dorothy R. Clarkson, QMAAC (died 29/1/19) is buried in plot B.20.385 in Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery. The grave is believed to have been flattened and the CWGC commemoration is now by screen wall. I HAVE A PHOTOGRAPH of the screen wall but I would like to have a photograph of the grave plot where she is even if it is unmarked.

Similarly for Alice Flintoff, TFNS (died 9/11/18) who is buried in the same cemetery in plot G.B.18.146.

United Kingdom

ANGUS, Forfar

The memorial featuring the name of Evelyn Tait on the East and Old Parish Church, Forfar is recorded on the SWMP

Derek.

That would be great. I am after a photograph of the headstone of Lilian Cleworth, VAD, who died on the 14th May 1917 and was buried in Weaste Cemetery on the 17th May 1917. She was aged 22.

Now got this one. Thank you Garry and Gerald.

Did you ever get the name from Kirkee Memorial?

Yes, I now have my Kirkee requirements (from Paul Nixon).