Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Thanks Jim and CGM.

Fingers crossed it is a marked grave. I don't want another Margaret Durno on my hands.

Phil

Jim

Dungannon?

Friend will be going near there next month.

Kenny

Emily GRAY, QAIMNS, is said to be on the Dungannon War Memorial

A. SHORTT, a nurse, is said to be on the Dungannon War Memorial

Alicia WATT, QMAAC, is said to be on the Dungannon War Memorial.

A Shortt is a mystery to me. I don't even know her first name. She is only known to me because the name of A. Shortt, nurse, is on the memorial. She may even be buried locally. If her headstone could be found then that would reveal more. Or her name on a memorial roll in the local church. But other than that - nothing.

Hello Jim

Jemima Wilson - Moniaive

Managed to visit there today.

There are 3 war memorials which show her name.

One in Glencairn Church, one in St Ninian's Church and one in the War Memorial Institute.

In addition, there are 2 pages of information relating to her in a Book of Remembrance placed within St Ninian's.

Photographs of all will be with you soon.

Regards

Kenny

Jim,

I went to St Nicholas this morning. Unfortunately I couldn't find a marked grave. There was a Birkett family grave, but the headstone, a cross, had been laid flat. I did pick up the names Louis and Agnes, if I remember correctly, plus a WW2 Canadian airman on the kerb. There is also a Harold Birkett on the WW1 memorial in the church. Do you have any family info? Was she local, or just working at a nearby hospital?

The above is from memory, as my computer decided to crash when I got home and I can't download the photos at the moment.

Phil

After trying for over half an hour to upload the obituary (the GWF upload system remains an impossible conundrum to me) I have resorted to "the word". From the census we have parents :- Louis and Agnes Birkett. At least five children were born being Mary F. Birkett (1892), Elsie W.A. Birkett (1894), Harold Birkett (1896), Margaret J. Birkett (1900) and Norman U. Birkett (1904). This was a wealthy family with three servants living in and probably more living out. The coffin was transported from their home to the cemetery by hand bier so Margaret was buried very much at home and almost certainly would have been afforded a grave marker. The Louis and Agnes that you found are almost certainly her parents. Harold, on the war memorial, was her brother who was kia and whose name is on the Vimy Memorial. I suspect, as Wreford is a family name (Agnes' maiden name), that the WW2 Canadian airman is Pilot Officer John Evelyn Wreford Birkett, RCAF, kia June 1943. I wonder if her parents were buried in Margaret's grave. Their grave marker which you say is laid flat may have Margaret's name on it - either the cross or the stump from which it has broken away. Or perhaps kerbing.

Jim,

Thanks for confirming the family. The family tree I found on the internet had only two children to Louis and Agnes, but did connect the Janson name. There are Janson graves in the churchyard as well.

As you say, she may be on the face I couldn't see (and it was a bit public to mess about with), or on the kerb, or on the capping. John's memorial is inscribed on three faces of the top of the kerb, but the fourth side and the vertical faces of the kerb are inaccessible, as is the capping, due to moss etc.

It is possible that the register entries for Louis and Agnes may mention other occupants of the grave. It looks like it may be a double plot.

I've attached one photo below, but will email all of those I took to you later.

post-20576-0-37999900-1366807747_thumb.j

Phil

Jim, CGM,

I was in Bromley this morning, so dropped into the library. Unfortunately, although they have the marriage and christening registers for St Nicholas, they don't have a burial register past 1928. Presumably it is still with the church. I didn't have time to look through newspapers.

Phil

Jim

Did you receive emails re Jemima Wilson? If not, I'll resend.

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny. I would have sworn on a stack of bibles that I had replied but nothing in my "copies". My apologies. Will send email direct, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

Jemima Wilson - I have sent you further emails relating to Jemima Wilson. You should have two emails dated today. One with pictures of the family memrial at Keir graveyard, the other of the memorial at Wallaceton Hall.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

Jemima Wilson - I have sent you further emails relating to Jemima Wilson. You should have two emails dated today. One with pictures of the family memrial at Keir graveyard, the other of the memorial at Wallaceton Hall.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, All safely received. You have finished off my needs for Dumfriess-shire. Thank you very much indeed, Jim

Time for an update.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Monymusk

ANGUS, Forfar, Montrose

ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BORDERS, Wilton

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

EAST LOTHIAN, Dunbar

ESSEX, East Ham

FIFE, Buckhaven, Lundin

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough, Swansea

GLOUCESTERSIRE, Cheltenham

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Hollybrook Memorial), Southampton (Old Cemetery),

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast and Killead), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon - Emily Gray when CWGC headstone installed)

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Ashton in Makerfield, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Littleborough, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden, East Sheen, Harrow, Highgate, Kensal Green, Knightsbridge, Norwood x 2, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, Kettering

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Perth

SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton x2), Weybridge

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Great Alne, Kenilworth, Longbridge

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

BELGIUM, Brussels

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (12), Quebec

FRANCE, Cannes (Alpes Maritimes), Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Hemévez (Normandy), Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Menton, Mouleydier (Dordogne), Pys, Saint Amand les Aux

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Fairfield, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim

Renfrewshire/Glasgow.

Is this not for Agnes Climie?

I did this one for you recently.

Kenny

Sorry, Kenny. You are, of course, right. I really must do better. Now amended.

Jim

Have sent you pictures of the requirements you had for Dungannon, County Tyrone.

Regards

Kenny

Safely received with thanks.

Jim

What do you need in Perth?

Kenny

I am after Jeannie Turnbull WRIGHT, QMAAC, died 29/10/18, who's name is on a memorial plaque in Perth Congregational Church. This is, I believe, in Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5EN.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim

I had a very quick look in Perth for the Congregational Church on my way to another hill walk. I found it easily enough but unfortunately, it was closed.

However, now that I know where it is, I'll keep it on my "to do" list.

Regards

Kenny

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to Cannes for their holidays as I have just added a new one (several in fact - see above).

Jim

Cofton Hackett is in Worcestershire and has 2 ts. Also Great Alne not too far.

Happy to visit these if you let me know what you need.

John

hi jim,

i will be in plymouth for the day on monday, so just let me know whay you need and ill happily get it for you.

i also see wandsworth is on the list as i am originally from there and have family there i should be able to help there too.

rob

Jim

Cofton Hackett is in Worcestershire and has 2 ts. Also Great Alne not too far.

Happy to visit these if you let me know what you need.

John

John, thank you for coming forward.

COFTON HACKETT :- In the churchyard is the grave of Frederick Impey. On his grave marker is mention of Elizabeth Stevens Impey, his daughter, who was lost when the SS Persia was lost off Crete. The family were Quakers so not sure why he is in a churchyard which presumably would be C of E. Perhaps my information is wrong and it's a cemetery but I am sure that the place is quite small.

GREAT ALNE :- Eliza Millicent Elvens, QARNNS, (also known as Elsie Impey, died 30/12/15) is listed on the Great Alne War Memorial and also on a Roll of Honour on or in the Great Alne Memorial Hall. Unfortunately this may mean finding a keyholder but from experience people can be most helpful in this respect.