Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim.

Have sent the photograph although you may get a better one of Muriel's headstone.

Also sent article about Sister Adams.

If you want her headstone let me know.

Sandy

Sandy, I would love a photograph of her headstone. Jim

jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk

Hi Jim,

I'm not too mobile at the moment (gammy leg) but when I am back up on my feet I may be able to help out with the Londonderry ladies. Best that you let me have all your Northern Ireland needs - just in case - and, since I live less than 10 miles from the border, let me have the Donegal ladies also.

Regards,

Ronald

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ronald, welcome to the Great War Forum. This is a good place to be with Pals only too willing to share knowledge on all aspects of WW1. As you can see I am researching WW1 serving female casualties and photographs of them, their memorials and their graves. The administrators of the GWF have kindly allowed me to appeal to members on this Forum in this respect.

From Northern Ireland plus Donegal I need :-

Nellie BRANNIGAN, QMAAC, Co.Tyrone; Edenderry; Church Of Ireland Churchyard

Norah DUGGAN, VAD, Co.Londonderry; Coleraine; Articlave (care - A search of churchyards at St. Pauls (Church of Ireland) and 1st Dunboe (Presbyterian) by Bob Dennis has failed to find her).

Alicia WATT, QMAAC, her name is said to be on the Dungannon War Memorial, Co.Tyrone.

Mary C. DICKSON, VAD, her name is on a memorial in Fahan Parish Church, Co.Donegal.

Rita WATKINSON, VAD, her name is on a memorial in Trinity Presbyterian Church, Letterkenny, Co.Donegal.

Hi Jim, I may get a chance to visit Fahan, Co.Donegal in the next fortnight so I will try to get the Mary C. DICKSON memorial photographed. (its only about 10-15 miles away). I haven't been to Letterkenny in 10 years so this may be my excuse for a visit. The two Co.Tyrone names are probably going to be a bit on the difficult side but Norah DUGGAN may be possible. I think the reason why Bob couldn't find her is that the surname DUGGAN is 'a catholic name' and she is probably associated with a Roman Catholic Chapel. My father know's the area reasonably well so he may be able to pinpoint the correct Chapel.

Is there any particular picture format that you want - angle of shot, resolution, etc?

Ronald

Is there any particular picture format that you want - angle of shot, resolution, etc?

Ronald

Ronald, No particular format. It is a view of the grave marker or memorial that I need (readable)preferably in the highest definition that you can do. I know that they take longer to upload or download but I can always change a high definition (pixels per inch) down but not up. Jim

Hi again Jim.

Just to say that I went back to the grave for Sister Adams yesterday and took a clearer inscription of the headstone.

When I get it off my camera I will send it to you.

Sandy

Hi again Jim.

Just to say that I went back to the grave for Sister Adams yesterday and took a clearer inscription of the headstone.

When I get it off my camera I will send it to you.

Sandy

Sandy, photographs and obituary safely received with grateful thanks, Jim

Hi Jim,

Unless someone has already come forward I can do Dursley, Gloucs over the next couple of weeks.

Give me the details,

Cheers Simon.

Hi Jim.

I have only just sent you the new photograph tonight/morning.

Also the 2nd part of the article on Sister Adams that I

did not previously send, which I have at home.

Thank you for the thanks,no more needed.

Much appreciated.

Sandy

Hi Jim.

I have only just sent you the new photograph tonight/morning.

Also the 2nd part of the article on Sister Adams that I

did not previously send, which I have at home.

Thank you for the thanks,no more needed.

Much appreciated.

Sandy

Sandy, Thanks may not be needed but I am sending them anyway, Regards, Jim

ps part 2 and photos received.

Hi Jim,

Unless someone has already come forward I can do Dursley, Gloucs over the next couple of weeks.

Give me the details,

Cheers Simon.

Simon, thank you for the offer. I am after a photograph of the Roll of Honour memorial on the gates at the entrance to St. James’ churchyard, Dursley, Gloucestershire showing the name of Doris Mary Wyatt, munition worker. I have found one on the Web but, of course, the copyright is elsewhere. The National Archives (Gloucestershire Archives D 7442/36) has a copy of the Dursley Gazette of the 14th September 1918 containing an article about a tablet unveiled by Sir Ashton Lister in commemoration of Doris Mary Wyatt and includes photographs of her and the tablet. That, unfortunately, is a research project but I would like to know where the tablet is and get a photograph of her from the Dursley Gazette. But I will happily make do with the photograph showing her name on the memorial gates.

Hi Jim,

I can do both.

I live 5 mins from the Gloucestershire archives and will be out Dursley way in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Simon.

Hi Jim,

I can do both.

I live 5 mins from the Gloucestershire archives and will be out Dursley way in the next couple of weeks.

Cheers Simon.

Wonderful

later - Winifred Mary Steele, QMAAC, is on a memorial in the Post Office (I have). But my records show that her name is also recorded on a memorial in a Derby Methodist church.

Hi Jim, regarding Winifred Mary Steele, do you have any further information as to which Methodist Church in Derby this could be at all? Do you know whereabouts in Derby she was living at the time? Kind regards, Richard

Hi Jim, regarding Winifred Mary Steele, do you have any further information as to which Methodist Church in Derby this could be at all? Do you know whereabouts in Derby she was living at the time? Kind regards, Richard

Sorry, I don't know which Methodist Church. My information comes from all directions. I know that she was what was called a Congregationalist - whatever that is. She lived with her sister (Annie Seaton)and brother-in-law (S. Seaton)at 9 Swinburne Street, Derby.

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the extra info, I have made contact with the Central United Reformed Church in Derby, as I believe they took in the memorial from the now demolished Victoria Street Congregational Church which may (with any luck) have Winifred's name on it. Hopefully I can either get access to the memorial or they will send me a photo of it, fingers crossed!

Richard

• 4 weeks later...

There have been some changes since the last posting. I am currently researching French female casualties so more wants have appeared in that section. Not graves, specifically, but wall plaques and statues.

United Kingdom

DERBYSHIRE, Shirebrook, Whaley Thorns

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Dursley

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Old Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 2 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chevening, Chiselhurst

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Greenwich, Kensal Green, Knightsbridge, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

RENFREWSHIRE, Glasgow (Cathcart)

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

BELGIUM, Brussels

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Pys, Saint Amand les Aux

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

There have been some changes since the last posting. I am currently researching French female casualties so more wants have appeared in that section. Not graves, specifically, but wall plaques and statues.

United Kingdom

Hi Jim, I should be able to help with both Shirebrook and Whaley Thorns, have you got anybody specific you are looking for? Haven't managed to get to the Victoria Street Congregational Memorial as yet, but as soon as I do I will check it for Winifred Steele for you.

Kind regards, Richard

Hi Jim, I should be able to help with both Shirebrook and Whaley Thorns, have you got anybody specific you are looking for? Haven't managed to get to the Victoria Street Congregational Memorial as yet, but as soon as I do I will check it for Winifred Steele for you.

Kind regards, Richard

Hello Richard, These are new finds to me.

SHIREBROOK, three female munition workers died together at Langwith munition factory on the 20th March 1918 and were buried together in Shirebrook cemetery. Many munition workers came from poor families and grave markers not provided. I don't know for certain but confirmation of the plot number should be obtained from the local Council cemetery department just in case. A photograph of the grass plot needed even if there are no markers. The girls were Dorothy Brown, Elsie May Garrett and Ethel Gorrill.

WHALEY THORNS, The name of Cicely Eady is on the war memorial altar in St. Luke's church, Whaley Thorns. Cicely was a munition worker who died 20th November 1917.

CUCKNEY, Cicely Eady is said to have been buried in Cuckney churchyard but as yet her grave has not been found despite a search. Again, records may show a plot.

Good luck, Jim

Hello again, can you give me GWYNEDD, and KENT details. I've tried Kent before but now mislaid the details.

Many thanks

Hello Jules, Here they are.

LLANBEDROG - Millicent Olive de Sauge de THOREN is buried in Llanbedrog cemetery. A VAD who died on 16th October 1917.

PWLLHELI - Margaret Evans THOMAS, QAIMNS, is buried in plot A6/A7, Pwllheli cemetery. She died on the 8th November 1918.

CHEVENING - Ivy Maud SNARTT, VAD is buried in St. Botolph's churchyard, Chevening Road, Chevening. She died on the 9th September 1915. She is buried with her half-brother, William Edwin Snart, who died on the 23rd October 1915, aged 10.

CHISLEHURST - Margaret Janson BIRKETT, Red Cross nurse, is buried in Chislehurst parish cemetery/churchyard (not sure which). She died on the 16th December 1914.

HAYDON BRIDGE ??

HAYDON BRIDGE ??

Ian, My requirement is :-

Winifred Eliza CARRICK, VAD, who is said to be buried in St. Cuthbert's churchyard/cemetery, Haydon Bridge. She died on the 24th June 1919. I have already had a photographer visit the cemetery looking for her without success. She remains on my list as a "not got" because of this. VADs were generally from the "well-off" part of society so I am surprised if there is not a grave marker. My photographer stated that the cemetery seemed to have mostly older headstones so perhaps there is another cemetery extension nearby. Or, being the victim of a suicide, being interred in holy ground necessitated not having a headstone. Tracking down the cemetery records may be the only solution. Good luck.

I have just spent the evening working my way through the Scottish memorials with women's names on them and checking to see those that I have missing. So I have now updated my outstanding to show these.

United Kingdom

ABERDEENSHIRE, Moneymusk

ANGUS, Forfar, Montrose

ARGYLLSHIRE, Appin

BORDERS, Wilton

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

DUMFRIES-SHIRE, Dunreggan, Kirkland, Moniaive

EAST LOTHIAN, Dunbar

FIFE, Anstruther, Buckhaven, Dunfermline, Lundin

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Old Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim (Belfast), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 2 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chevening, Chiselhurst

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Greenwich, Kensal Green, Knightsbridge, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PERTHSHIRE, Perth

RENFREWSHIRE, Cathcart, Glasgow

SHROPSHIRE, Edgmond

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WORCESTERSHIRE, Hollow

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

BELGIUM, Brussels

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Froyennes, Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Lille, Pys, Saint Amand les Aux

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal x 2, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim

just strolling through information regarding Camberwell Infermary, I am very interested in the case of Annie Ruff, as she is commemorated on a war memorial back in Shropshire, but no trace of death with CWWGC., I know she died in child birth on 5 December 1918, at the Infirmary but nothing else where could I find a mention of her death, as nothing found back home in Shropshire Archives, would the local press in Camberwell area reported her death, this is a mystry, can you help or advise

PHIL

Jim

just strolling through information regarding Camberwell Infermary, I am very interested in the case of Annie Ruff, as she is commemorated on a war memorial back in Shropshire, but no trace of death with CWWGC., I know she died in child birth on 5 December 1918, at the Infirmary but nothing else where could I find a mention of her death, as nothing found back home in Shropshire Archives, would the local press in Camberwell area reported her death, this is a mystry, can you help or advise

PHIL

Phil, Your timing is perfect. Within the past fortnight there has been some good steps forward with Annie Ruff. I have an incredible lady who enjoys researching (she is on this Forum but prefers a low profile) who has been doing an excellent job in tracking down those women about which little is known. This normally means non-CWGC women who were non-elligible VADs or munition workers. My woman has been working on Annie Ruff, obtained her death certificate and at last proved which Annie Ruff we have here. It should be said that there were three possible Annie Ruffs two of whom were born quite close to each other about the same time and each had a child within days of each other. One was born at Wem and the other Atcham. Our girl was the Atcham one. As you say, she died in childbirth on the 5th December 1918 at Camberwell Infirmary. The baby died in February 1919. The family came from Cressage where Annie's father was a shepherd. Her death certificate does show her as a cook with the WAAC. It is my opinion that Annie was no longer with the QMAAC/WAAC when she died and that she probably had resigned due to her pregnancy. That being the case she would not have had CWGC status. I have not searched out any service papers to confirm this but it seems logical.