Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Alf, I am delighted that a photograph of the memorial has escaped for, as you know, access to the building is very restricted. My email address is jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk . Please send it as high definition as you have. You obviously know that Minnie Mair's father was minister of the parishes of Bunkle and Preston so, as you surmise, it is likely that Minnie is resting there. I am hoping that the memorial may also show Isabella Cousins, Jeanie McClymont and Jeanie Affleck Young and/or Jeanie Annie Young, Jim

Jim

The St Margaret's panel shows Nurse C M Steell. ( I photographed her memorial stone for you at Colinton).

However, no Jeannie A Young on either of the boards.

Kenny

Kenny, I don't remember where I obtained the information re Jeanie Annie Young's name being on the St. Margaret's board but we can see that she is not there so I shall amend my records. She died in June 1921 and the board's listing stopped at 1918. So unless a seperate memorial turns up I must assume that I was given duff information. I have a photograph of the memorial to Jeanie Affleck in Curie Kirk but if you can find time to mooch around Curie Kirkyard I have been told that Jeanie is buried there. Any information on her gravestone may help dispel any confusion with the other Jeanie Young. And, I guess, that whilst there another photograph of her name on her memorial would give me a choice, Jim

Jim,

I managed to get into Bangour Church today, and took some photos. I have sent a couple to you, please let me know if you have got them.

Regards,

Alf

Jim,

I managed to get into Bangour Church today, and took some photos. I have sent a couple to you, please let me know if you have got them.

Regards,

Alf

Alf, Two photographs received and they are just what I wanted. I am most grateful. Thank you, Jim

Hello Alf/Jim

I don't "collect" photos as such, I just do what I can whenever Jim needs anything in these parts of the woods! However, a copy would be nice - My curiousity getting the better of me. If you could send a copy to me at kenny.bellATovi.com?

Jim,

Next time I'm near Edinburgh, I'll have a nosey at Currie Kirk for you. Also, won't forget about Minnie Mair, though this one is a bit out of the way.

Regards to both

Kenny

Kenny, I have always appreciated your input to the project. I am fairly cetain that Minnie is in the fabulously named Bunkle and Preston cemetery so if you can get there and find her I should be grateful. But if not it's not the end of the world. Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

Back at last from my holiday, and will get back onto chasing Victoria Florence Whiddett as soon as possible. I have a lot on my plate for a week or two, catching up after a month of idleness, but hope to get to Canterbury again within two or three weeks. Will update you as soon as I have anything.

Steve.

Hi Jim,

Back at last from my holiday, and will get back onto chasing Victoria Florence Whiddett as soon as possible. I have a lot on my plate for a week or two, catching up after a month of idleness, but hope to get to Canterbury again within two or three weeks. Will update you as soon as I have anything.

Steve.

Steve, thank you, Jim

Jim,

Re: VAD Maud Helena Allwood, now off my “to-do” list.

I made it to Louth cemetery over the holiday weekend to photograph her grave. Earlier I’d managed to contact a very helpful lady (Town Clerk), at Louth Council, who looked-up the grave location details and also emailed a plan of cemetery, plus this warning:

“I would also warn you that the cemetery is classed as a meadow cemetery and in this section in particular we are leaving the flowers until they seed when we tidy them up so it may not look as manicured as you might expect.”

I found Maud’s grave (Compartment 40, Grave Space 9), without much difficulty in spite of the main entrance to the cemetery being locked and no markers to indicate the compartment numbers. It is very Victorian, solid and stable but the base of the cross blackened and the inscriptions not easy to read because the lead lettering has deteriorated.

I have two hi-res, (total of 10.2mb), images to email to you, one of which I’ve digitally restored the base of the cross so that you can at least read the inscriptions!

Cheers, Terry

post-7031-0-19223500-1339191521_thumb.jp

Jim,

I managed to get to Currie Churchyard today and got a photo of Jeanie Affleck Young's grave. I will send you a higher resolution copy direct.

post-33018-0-55912600-1339355904_thumb.j

The church was closed, so I couldn't get in.

Regards,

Alf McM

An update. Until any new graves/memorials appear for me I am pleased to have Lothian complete. I thought that Kent was also complete when Thanington could be moved no further (unmarked grave) but Boxley has come on board as a new one. I have added Dursley, Gloucestershire and London (Knightsbridge) as memorials have been found there. The grave of a VAD has been found in Southampton. It is disappointing that more inroads cannot be made into Lancashire.

United Kingdom

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

DERBYSHIRE, Buxton

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GLOUCESTERSHIRE, Dursley

GWYNEDD, Llanbedrog, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, East Woodhay, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery), Southampton (Old Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Armagh, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chevening, Chiselhurst

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Greenwich, Kensal Green, Knightsbridge, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Trenton), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent,), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim, hoping to get to Canterbury next week, but Boxley is on my doorstep, so what do you need there?

Steve.

Jim, hoping to get to Canterbury next week, but Boxley is on my doorstep, so what do you need there?

Steve.

Steve, Here is the1920 obituary :- "BAZLEY-WHITE.- On the 21st Oct.,. at 19 Salisbury-road, Hove, of heart failure, Victoria Constance, fifth daughter of Mr and Lady Grace Bazley-White. Funeral at Boxley, Kent, today (Saturday)". She was a VAD who served in France. Born 1887. I hope that this helps but sorry that I cannot give you a plot position.

Steve, Here is the1920 obituary :- "BAZLEY-WHITE.- On the 21st Oct.,. at 19 Salisbury-road, Hove, of heart failure, Victoria Constance, fifth daughter of Mr and Lady Grace Bazley-White. Funeral at Boxley, Kent, today (Saturday)". She was a VAD who served in France. Born 1887. I hope that this helps but sorry that I cannot give you a plot position.

Will look tomorrow, and report back forthwith.

Regards, Steve.

Jim, just back from Boxley church. I found the grave, next to that of her parents, John and Grace. I have pictures of her grave marker, another of the inscription (difficult to read some), one of her parents' marker and one of the front of the church. These will follow as soon as I can get them downloaded etc (wife's camera and no rushing her!)

The inscription on her marker reads:

In loving memory of Victoria Constance Bazley-White (Daisy) Born 24th May 1887 Died 21st October 1920 The result of an illness contracted while nursing in France Dearly beloved and deeply mourned.

On the north side of the marker is an inscription: And her sister Henrietta Maude Born 11th April 1882 Died 19th Sept 1966

The markers are sited in the north-eastern portion of a 19th century extension, to the east of the original churchyard, and the main inscriptions are read facing the church (ie they are on the eastern face).

The parents' marker inscription (if needed) is:In loving memory of John Bazley-White Born April 1847 Died 9 Feb 1927 Angels guard thee Also of Grace wife of the above Youngest daughter of the 18th Countess of Rothes Born 30 May 1854 Died 5 October 1933 Peace perfect peace.

Boxley is a 5 minute drive, so once you have the pictures, if you need more, please ask.

Best regards, Steve.

Jim, just back from Boxley church. I found the grave, next to that of her parents, John and Grace. I have pictures of her grave marker, another of the inscription (difficult to read some), one of her parents' marker and one of the front of the church. These will follow as soon as I can get them downloaded etc (wife's camera and no rushing her!)

The inscription on her marker reads:

In loving memory of Victoria Constance Bazley-White (Daisy) Born 24th May 1887 Died 21st October 1920 The result of an illness contracted while nursing in France Dearly beloved and deeply mourned.

On the north side of the marker is an inscription: And her sister Henrietta Maude Born 11th April 1882 Died 19th Sept 1966

The markers are sited in the north-eastern portion of a 19th century extension, to the east of the original churchyard, and the main inscriptions are read facing the church (ie they are on the eastern face).

The parents' marker inscription (if needed) is:In loving memory of John Bazley-White Born April 1847 Died 9 Feb 1927 Angels guard thee Also of Grace wife of the above Youngest daughter of the 18th Countess of Rothes Born 30 May 1854 Died 5 October 1933 Peace perfect peace.

Boxley is a 5 minute drive, so once you have the pictures, if you need more, please ask.

Best regards, Steve.

Steve, delighted. Thank you. Look forward to receiving the photos. She also seems to be a candidate for the IFTC group, Jim (jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk)

Jim, I have tried to attach the photos, but they are too big. I'm not too good at this, but thought you would prefer them as they are rather than downsized. Please advise what is best and how else I can get them to you.

I have an appointment at Canterbury Cathedral archives for next Tuesday, so fingers crossed they finally lead us to Miss Whiddett.

Regards, Steve.

Jim, I have tried to attach the photos, but they are too big. I'm not too good at this, but thought you would prefer them as they are rather than downsized. Please advise what is best and how else I can get them to you.

I have an appointment at Canterbury Cathedral archives for next Tuesday, so fingers crossed they finally lead us to Miss Whiddett.

Regards, Steve.

Steve, I purposely put my email address in the above post 1045 (substitute @ for AT) so that you could send it to me direct attached to an email. As you suspected, I would prefer it high definition as I can always downsize it but I cannot expand an already downsized one. Look forward to receiving it, Jim

Steve, I purposely put my email address in the above post 1045 (substitute @ for AT) so that you could send it to me direct attached to an email. As you suspected, I would prefer it high definition as I can always downsize it but I cannot expand an already downsized one. Look forward to receiving it, Jim

Jim, I sent the photos two days ago and have heard nothing. Did they not arrive? I had no error message that the email was not delivered, so assumed all was OK.

Steve.

Jim, I sent the photos two days ago and have heard nothing. Did they not arrive? I had no error message that the email was not delivered, so assumed all was OK.

Steve.

Steve, Sorry about that. I tend not to go on the computer much at week-ends. The photographs safely received and I am very pleased with them. Thank you very much for getting them. The details about parents also helps get the biography of her more accurate. Thank you, Kind regards, Jim

Hi there Jim,

Noticing your latest list of requirements I notice you have one for Harrogate, if you can send me the details I'll have a look at it for you.

Cheers Roger.

Guest maggieT

Hi, I am new to this forum. I found it while googling my Great Aunt. She is mentioned in thread no 710, where Jim mentions not knowing the grave site of Minnie Yerbury. She died of Influenza on 20th October 1918, in the General Military Hospital, Edmonton. Her mother was with her at the time of death. Her body was taken back to Halstead, Essex, where she was buried with her father, and later her mother in Halstead Cemetary. So she is not missing, mearly "misplaced". I have seen the grave but my photo's didn't come out properly. I will be returning to Halstead in the next few months and will retake the photographs. There is also a plaque in the parish church dedicated to her which I hope I will be able to photograph also. If the photos will be of help please let me know and I will send them on, when the time comes.

Maggie