Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

What is the name you are looking for in East Woodhay, Hants?

Phyllis Guilemard: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33894481@N04/5658600823/ - not my photo but many flickr contributors would he happy to give you permission to use their photos. If not I can easily nip over a get a photo of the war memorial - is there a grave as well?

NB East Woodhay has two memorials, one in each of the main settlements in the parish: East End and Woolton Hill. The picture is from East End, Woolton Hill (http://www.flickr.com/photos/33894481@N04/5647528008/in/photostream/) does not seem to have any women.

Phil, You have homed in on the right name but different memorial photographs (sort of) required. I am told that there is a stone memorial to Phyllis Guillemard in St. Martin's Church, East Woodhay. I need that one and also a photograph of the East Woodhay War Memorial showing her name. I could ask the flickr contributor if I could use the war memorial photograph but I still need someone to look out the stone memorial in the church. The same photographer may as well take both as he/she will be there anyway. I just hope that the person who told me of the stone memorial hasn't got confused with the stone memorial to her in Harrow. Jim

Hi jim I live in the Sevenoaks area, any you need from here or surrounding villages ?

Regards Dave

Hello Dave, If you go back a page on this string and look at post 969 all of my requirements are listed there. For Kent I need photographs from Chart Sutton and Thanington. But there may be some on the London side still needed, too. Jim

• 1 month later...

Jim

Cannot promise but what are you looking for in NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon?

Mike

Mike, Muriel Mary GRAHAM, VAD, died 6th December 1918 and is buried in St. Mary the Virgin churchyard, East Haddon. I need a photograph of her grave marker and a check to see if she made it onto the local war memorial. Jim

Jim

Not listed as a CWGC casualty may not even qualify as she may have been a civilian

She is buried in Holdenhust Village Churchyard ( now Dorset was Hants) the mother of Bournemouth.

Zetta Hacket died nursing troops at Christchurch 5th December 1916 age 46 .

Another oddity in this area is to be found in http://www.bournemou...Remembrance.pdf on page 5 is mention of a Josephnie Barrie Nurse VAD Boscombe Hospital page 15 Teresa March VAD, neither listed you may have more records to explore if they were VADs

post-34992-0-36511300-1330202874.jpg

Hello Jim

A small update re West Lothian (Bangour).

I paid a very quick visit in passing yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't really have time to stop. It looks as if the whole area of the hospital is not accessible.

However, it seems that there is some sort of "security" hut at what was the main entrance to the hospital. Once I have more time, I'll investigate further.

Also, what do you need in Berwickshire? This is quite a bit out of the way for me but if you give me details, I'll bear it in mind for you.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

A small update re West Lothian (Bangour).

I paid a very quick visit in passing yesterday. Unfortunately, I didn't really have time to stop. It looks as if the whole area of the hospital is not accessible.

However, it seems that there is some sort of "security" hut at what was the main entrance to the hospital. Once I have more time, I'll investigate further.

Also, what do you need in Berwickshire? This is quite a bit out of the way for me but if you give me details, I'll bear it in mind for you.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, Thank you for the update. I think that you had better leave Berwickshire for the time being as I am not at all certain of memorials or graves there. To explain :-

Minnie Ronald MAIR, masseuse at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, West Lothian (incidently I need a photograph from here). The location of her grave is unknown to me. But her father was minister of the parishes of Bunkle and Preston (Berwickshire) from 1880 until 1922 and it is possible that she is buried there and possibly with a memorial in the church or local war memorial.

Agnes ABBEY, VAD died 2nd quarter 1919 with death registered in the Berwick registration district. Grave yet to be located.

So you can see that my requirements are a bit loose and time-consuming to say the least.

• 1 month later...

It's been a while so a further update. More US ones added as well as some UK VADs whose graves have recently been discovered.

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possible)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

DERBYSHIRE, Buxton

DEVONSHIRE, Plymouth

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Crynant, Llandough

GWYNEDD, Pwllheli

HAMPSHIRE, East Woodhay, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Armagh, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Ham, East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Greenwich, Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN, Edinburgh

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORFOLK, Ranworth

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Cuckney, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

ROSS-SHIRE, Knockbain

STAFFORDSHIRE, Ogley Hay

SURREY, Brookwood, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Sheffield

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

AUSTRALIA, Albany, Denmark, Kogarah, Melbourne, Swanwick, Sydney

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon,

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New Jersey (Trenton), New York (Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, Reading, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

It's been a while so a further update. More US ones added as well as some UK VADs whose graves have recently been discovered.

United Kingdom

LOTHIAN, Edinburgh

ROSS-SHIRE, Knockbain

Jim

I haven't forgotten about Bangour, West Lothian or Berwickshire.

However, what do you need at Edinburgh and at Knockbain, Ross-shire?

Regards

Kenny

Jim

I offered up my services July 2011 regarding Abney Park and West Ham but due to an oversight and far too much paperwork on my desk (even though now retired) I haven't done alot about it!

I also no longer work in London (or get free travel) so my journeys there are fewer now -however if you can let me know the details of the below cemeteries then I can have a look in the next few weeks (hopefully) as I intend to be in London on a regular basis - luckily my daughter lives in East London so no problems for a bed!!

Abney Park - do you still require Gilhooley and Homer ? I have visited there before but as it is a nature reserve and few staff, finding the right plot might be a problem and it doesn't appear or give the feel of a 'safe' environment, even to a chap like myself!

East Ham -

Kensal Green -

Plaistow -

West Ham - are you still after the Betts family as well as the Patrick family, killed in the explosion at Silvertown?

Willesden -

Also Surrey - Dorking - who are you after from here as I have a few photographs taken when I was down there with a friend taking two for our own research....

As I have said I am not sure when I will be able to have a 'wander around graves again' (as my wife puts it) but hopefully in the next two months!! at the latest

Regards

Andy

Jim

I haven't forgotten about Bangour, West Lothian or Berwickshire.

However, what do you need at Edinburgh and at Knockbain, Ross-shire?

Regards

Kenny

Jeanie Annie YOUNG. She is commemorated on the St. Margaret’s panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is also the last named on the second panel on the memorials that are either side of the pulpit.

Marjorie Eva May EDWARDS, VAD. Her name is on the Knockbain War Memorial.

Jim

I offered up my services July 2011 regarding Abney Park and West Ham but due to an oversight and far too much paperwork on my desk (even though now retired) I haven't done alot about it!

I also no longer work in London (or get free travel) so my journeys there are fewer now -however if you can let me know the details of the below cemeteries then I can have a look in the next few weeks (hopefully) as I intend to be in London on a regular basis - luckily my daughter lives in East London so no problems for a bed!!

Abney Park - do you still require Gilhooley and Homer ? I have visited there before but as it is a nature reserve and few staff, finding the right plot might be a problem and it doesn't appear or give the feel of a 'safe' environment, even to a chap like myself!

East Ham -

Kensal Green -

Plaistow -

West Ham - are you still after the Betts family as well as the Patrick family, killed in the explosion at Silvertown?

Willesden -

Also Surrey - Dorking - who are you after from here as I have a few photographs taken when I was down there with a friend taking two for our own research....

As I have said I am not sure when I will be able to have a 'wander around graves again' (as my wife puts it) but hopefully in the next two months!! at the latest

Regards

Andy

Abney Park - Rose Louisa GILHOOLEY, VAD. section KO9.7SO3

- Hilda Violet HOMER, nurse. section KO3.6S10

East Ham - Rose ABBOT, munition worker. St. Mary Magdalene churchyard

- Mary Ann BETTS, casualty. St Mary Magdalene churchyard

- Mary Ann FOLEY, munition worker. St Mary Magdalene churchyard

- Sarah J. HORNSEY, VAD. St. Mary Magdalen churchyard

Kensal Green - Elise Jeanne Temple Elsie LETHBRIDGE, nurse. Kensal Green Cemetery

- Florence MATHIAS, VAD. Kensal Green Cemetery

Plaistow - Lilian B. Davey, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Charlotte HISCOCK, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Agnes JENNINGS, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- May Gertrude JENNINGS, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Eliza LETSON, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Ellen Frances Jane NOAKES, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Sophia Jane VILLIERS, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Elsie WASS, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

- Mary WASS, casualty. East London Cemetery, Plaistow

West Ham - Rose A. PATRICK, casualty. West Ham Cemetery

- Ruby L. PATRICK, casualty, West Ham Cemetery

Willesden - Dorothy Maud Mary CROWTHER, munition worker. Willesden New Cemetery

Dorking - Daisy Maud Cottingham WADLING, Dorking Cemetery

Jim, I'm in mid-Kent, so will willingly cover the local area and further afield in Kent if required.

Steve.

Jim, I'm in mid-Kent, so will willingly cover the local area and further afield in Kent if required.

Steve.

Hello Steve, I don't know if you can help me as some investigative work required. Victoria Florence Whiddett (or Whidgett) was an 18 year old munition worker who died in 1917 and is buried in an unmarked grave in Thanington churchyard. I would dearly like a photograph of the patch of ground where she is buried (so that others may visit the grave in the future) but it will need tracking down someone with a cemetery plan to find out exactly where she is. This may be the vicat or a churchwarden but for the moment that is as far as I can get. Jim

Jim,

Are you still looking for anything in Greenwich (post #987)?

I've just started working my way through it and hope to be back there early next week. A lot of it has been cleared, or re-used, but you may strike lucky.

Phil

Jim,

Are you still looking for anything in Greenwich (post #987)?

I've just started working my way through it and hope to be back there early next week. A lot of it has been cleared, or re-used, but you may strike lucky.

Phil

Hello Phil, I am still after :-

Margaret Isabella Kathleen DURNO, VAD (died 14/9/18) who is buried in an unmarked grave in Sect.B, Gen.388, Greenwich Cemetery. I am fairly certain that I have a grave plan somewhere showing where she is buried if this helps.

Yes please Jim. If you have got a plan, it would help. I think the Gen areas are down by the entrance. You can email it direct to me if you like. info *AT* philevans.org.

Phil

Hello Steve, I don't know if you can help me as some investigative work required. Victoria Florence Whiddett (or Whidgett) was an 18 year old munition worker who died in 1917 and is buried in an unmarked grave in Thanington churchyard. I would dearly like a photograph of the patch of ground where she is buried (so that others may visit the grave in the future) but it will need tracking down someone with a cemetery plan to find out exactly where she is. This may be the vicat or a churchwarden but for the moment that is as far as I can get. Jim

Whoops, sorry, just noticed the earlier post, which I missed in my hurry, so cancel my last. I will have a run there as soon as poss. Maybe tomorrow!

Steve.

Jeanie Annie YOUNG. She is commemorated on the St. Margaret’s panel on the right side of the entrance to Juniper Green Parish Church, Lanark Road, Edinburgh, EH14. She is also the last named on the second panel on the memorials that are either side of the pulpit.

Marjorie Eva May EDWARDS, VAD. Her name is on the Knockbain War Memorial.

Hello Jim

If all goes to plan, I'm hillwalking with friends "way up north" at the beginning of next month. We will be passing Knockbain War Memorial then - just a small detour for us. Will get this to you ASAP thereafter, probably about May 9th/10th.

As for Juniper Green, I'll see what I can do for you soon.

Regards

Kenny

Hi Jim, no luck so far. I rang the vicar yesterday afternoon and left an answerphone message, but no reply yet.. Once I have made contact I will let you know how it is going.

In the meantime, there is one from St Michael's churchyard in Chart Sutton ME17 3RE, near Maidstone. The inscription reads: In loving memory of Sarah Broom Macnaughtan Born Oct 26 1864 Died July 24 1916 in the Great War. By word and deed at home and abroad she served her country even unto death. I have pictures, but will have to rejig them before they will attach.

No idea what she did, do you?

Steve.

Hi Jim, no luck so far. I rang the vicar yesterday afternoon and left an answerphone message, but no reply yet.. Once I have made contact I will let you know how it is going.

In the meantime, there is one from St Michael's churchyard in Chart Sutton ME17 3RE, near Maidstone. The inscription reads: In loving memory of Sarah Broom Macnaughtan Born Oct 26 1864 Died July 24 1916 in the Great War. By word and deed at home and abroad she served her country even unto death. I have pictures, but will have to rejig them before they will attach.

No idea what she did, do you?

Steve.

Steve, She led a rather exciting life.She was privately educated in Glasgow and when her parents died she moved to Kent. She was an early suffragette and wrote many books. Her war service saw her helping out Mrs St. Clair Stobert’s Ambulance Unit in Belgium, Russia, Armenia and Persia until her health gave out. She left 25 yearly diaries the latter ones covering her wartime exploits. She died at her Park Lane home.