Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hello Jim

You asked if I could get photographs of the war memorials in Dollar relating to Isabella Dingwall Cousins.

I visited today and was able to get pictures for you of the memorial at Dollar Academy and was also able to access the church for the 2 memorials there.

You should have the pictures soon. If you don't receive them by Saturday night (ie 30th April) please let me know and I'll re-send.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

You asked if I could get photographs of the war memorials in Dollar relating to Isabella Dingwall Cousins.

I visited today and was able to get pictures for you of the memorial at Dollar Academy and was also able to access the church for the 2 memorials there.

You should have the pictures soon. If you don't receive them by Saturday night (ie 30th April) please let me know and I'll re-send.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, I have received the 12 photographs of the three memorials. They are well up to your high standard. Thank you very much for helping me along with this project, Jim

• 1 month later...

I can get a picture of Lydia Grant's name on the Stretford TA centre Memorial if you want.

Jon

I can get a picture of Lydia Grant's name on the Stretford TA centre Memorial if you want.

Jon

Jon, That would be wonderful. It is one that I need. My email address is jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk. I look forward to receiving it, Jim

Hello Jim

Can you remind me of the details for INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie?

Was the lady's name McDonald?

I seem to remember that the grave may be in Kingussie or Newtonmore.

Anyway, I'm heading that way soon, and as I said before, I'll have a nosey, wife, kids and Mother-in-law permitting!

Regards

Kenny

Hi Jim,

Pictures on the way as requested.

Jon

Hello Jon, Safely received. As I have said direct to you, surprised to find more than the one female name that I was looking for and through research the TA Centre has one of the names spelt wrongly and that in another case they have it right and the name on the York Minster panels is wrong. Jim

Hello Jim

No mail as yet.

Can you try kenny.bellATblueyonder.co.uk ?

Regards

Kenny

Hello Kenny, Details sent direct. Let me know if the email doesn't arrive, Regards, Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Jim. You can mark Elizabeth MacDonald of Kingussie as done. I'm there just now. Photos to follow when I get home. Regards, Kenny.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Kenny, My requirements :-

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton - Lady Leila Mathilda SAMUELSON, VAD., who is in the 1st Bart.B. Vault 3.E., Dumbarton Cemetery. She died in France 18/6/15. A case where a body managed to be returned home. Obviously well connected there may be a memorial to her in the local church and the war memorial.

Jim

I had time to kill today, on the way to pick up my son who was at an event near Dumbarton.

So, I went to Dumbarton cemetery.

I found the memorial to Lady Lelia. As you said, "well connected" - the memorial is about 20 feet high!

I'll send the pictures soon - I'm off to a wedding reception this evening.

Another one off the list!

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

3 e-mails sent to you today re Lady Lelia Samuelson.

Attached is a sample.

As usual, if you don't get the mails, let me know.

Regards

Kenny

post-52243-0-55767200-1310929760.jpg

Time for an update. Some good hits in Scotland and Ireland over the past two months so this list is reducing nicely. Anyone able to reduce further please make contact.

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possibly)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Llangadock, Llanybydder

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff West, Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Crumlin), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine - elusive), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Dukinfield, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Govilon, Llanfigangel, Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Lythe, North Allerton

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Dublin (5), Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

18/7 edited to take off Kingussie.

Jim

Remember - I've done the Inverness-shire (Kingussie) one.

Kenny

Thank you for reminding me, Kenny. I have now amended. I seem to have only one left in Scotland of known graves and memorials (Argyllshire). That is discounting the Orkneys where I am not at all sure if there is a grave. The story behind it is Louisa Charlotte Chamberlain, QARNNS, who died whilst on a small fishing boat which hit a mine in the Cantick minefield. There is a memorial on the Isle of Hoy to the casualties (I have a photograph of this) but do not know if 1) there was enough left of Louisa's remains to bury, 2) she was buried at sea in good naval tradition or if 3) the casualties were landed on Hoy and buried.

Jim

I have to assume that you have noticed that the memorial at Hoy quotes their death as 3rd August 1918 whilst CWGC quote the date of death as 10th August 1918. I did query this with CWGC about 3/4 years ago, don't have the details any more, but as I remember it the response was to do with the date the naval authorities had advised CWGC. My assumption, right or wrong, was perhaps the 3rd was the date they started their trip, ss remembered by their colleagues who raised the memorial,and the 10th was the date the Admiralty settled on after the vessel failed to return. Just an educated guess!

Tony

Tony, As I understand it the accident happened not too far off shore. It was a fishing trip for pleasure, a small boat, perhaps the tender to a larger boat. It was not known that a minefield had been laid in the area. So I don't think that dates re starting the trip and delay in notification can come into it. This is not gospel - just as I have assumed it.

Jim

As I said I cannot now remember the actual wording of CWGC reply but there was no confirmation of a burial only that the Admiralty has said that she would be commemorated on Chatham Naval Memorial and date of death recorded as 10th August so obviously no grave.

Did you receive an email from me this morning with a photo?

Tony

Jim

Could you let me have the details of the ladies from:

Essex-Saffron Walden (I may pass by that way sometime soon)

London-Abney Park (I already have pictures of the screen wall)

West Ham (I have a number of pictures from there)

Regards

Andy

Jim

Could you let me have the details of the ladies from:

Essex-Saffron Walden (I may pass by that way sometime soon)

London-Abney Park (I already have pictures of the screen wall)

West Ham (I have a number of pictures from there)

Regards

Andy

Andy, I am after a photograph of the grave of Mabel Elizabeth SMITH, VAD, buried in Saffron Walden Cemetery; consecrated; compartment 1; grave 5. (died 7/11/1918)

Also Rose Louisa GILHOOLEY, VAD, buried in Abney Park Cemetery, section K09; 7S03.

Also Hilda Violet HOMER, VAD, buried in Abney Park Cemetery, section K03; 6S10

This one is more difficult :- Mary Ann BETTS, civilian, (aged 58) died 19/1/17 with Ethel Elmer BETTS (aged 4 months, her grand-daughter) who were killed in the Silvertown munition explosion and is buried in West Ham Cemetery, location unknown.

Additionally, Rose A. PATRICK (aged 3) and Ruby L. PATRICK (aged 5), buried in West Ham Cemetery with brothers William (aged 9) and Royden Stanley (aged 1). Casualties of the Silvertown munition explosion. Location unknown.

Also Winifred SELL (aged 15) killed in the same explosion and buried in West Ham Cemetery - location unknown.

These are the known ones to be buried in West Ham Cemetery but I have quite a long list of females that died in the same explosion some of whom are known to have been buried in East Plaistow but others I have no idea and may be in West Ham but yet to be discovered.