Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Frank,

Misterton, Notts - Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS, civilian nurse, buried plot J.9., Haxey Road Cemetery, Misterton. Died 8/7/15. It is a joint grave with her sister and possibly her parents. I have an old photograph but would like a more recent one. Her name is also on the local war memorial and I already have that but would happily take another to see if it is better quality.

Billinghay, Lincs - Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS. Buried Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery. Died 16/10/18. I think that the grave is unmarked through removal of markers. I am taking views of the unmarked graves and if you propose making a visit for me it is likely that I can get the grave's exact position for you (hopefully) although the main CWGC memorial is at Coningsby. I also believe that Nellie is remembered on the Billinghay War Memorial and I need that, too.

Blyton, Lincs - Dorothy Lucy HOWELL, civilian nurse. Died 1918. I do not know where she is buried. I understand that whilst her name is not on the Blyton War Memorial her name is on a scroll inside the church.

Castleford - I may already have the grave but happy to take another. Polly Booth and Mary Gibson are two that I know about from Barnbow and buried in Castleford.

Jim. Update on Misterton,Billinghay and Blyton

Photograph taken of Catherine Hannah Jollands' remembrance on the village memorial at Misterton but having difficulty in locating the grave.After checking all the graves,it would appear that the grave may be now in disrepair or unmarked.By chance met the Burials Secretary in the cemetery yesterday and she is going to go through the burials register which she says is difficult.I have her contact details.Incidentally at Misterton,I was told "chapel left","church right" for burials which would appear to be an old tradition in this parish.The Burials Secretary told me that a gentleman had already contacted her by telephone regarding the Jollands grave.

Photograph taken of Nellie Willson's remembrance on the village memorial at Billinghay.I will be going down to Billinghay after I firm up the grave plot identity with the vicar.Nellie is also remembered in the church by a common plaque and I have a photograph of it.

Photograph taken of Dorothy Lucy Howell's remembrance on the Blyton memorial.(It is situated on the blind face of the memorial.) As yet have been unable to gain access to St Martin's Church,Blyton. Each time I have been,the church was closed.Expected an evening service last night but again church was closed.However, I have the contact details and I will firm up access as soon as I can.

Regards

Frank

Andy - One of my contacts has managed to get me my Saffron Walden requirements so that one can come off your list. Indeed, that completes my known Essex ones.

Frank - You are doing a sterling job and I look forward to the outcomes.

<!--quoteo(post=1433269:date=Jun 29 2010, 05:47 PM:name=lankypete)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lankypete @ Jun 29 2010, 05:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1433269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hi Jim,

Have you managed to get Caton, Lancashire knocked off yet? I work nearby in Lancaster and can pop around this week and have a search for the headstone if not.

Cheers

Peter<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Peter, I require a photograph of the grave/headstone of Clementina Addison who I believe is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Caton. I am not certain but believe that she died in mid 1918. She was a member of the French Flag Nursing Corps who died at home of blood poisoning. The following may be of interest.

"A most impressive service was held at the village church, special hymns and an anthem being sung by the choir and children. The coffin was enfolded in the Union Jack and the French flag; the latter was afterwards buried with the remains. It was through her great devotion to the French soldiers that she gave her life as a sacrifice for others”.

Jim

Have you any information linking Clementina Addison to Nelson, Lancashire. I have an address of 17 Helmsdale Road cica early 1915

Fred

Have you any information linking Clementina Addison to Nelson, Lancashire. I have an address of 17 Helmsdale Road cica early 1915

Fred

Fred, I have nothing linking her to Nelson, Lancashire. Here are places where I know she was :-

1891 - (parents) 65 Penny Street, Lancaster.

1892 - Lancaster (born).

1895 - sister born at Warton.

1901 - Cragg Bank, Carnforth.

1911 - Royal Infirmary, Leicester.

1915 - from April (for one year) served with the French Flag Nursing Corps at Besancon, France.

1916 - from April at Sunny Hurst, Caton.

As you can see from the above she could quite easily have lived at or visited Nelson in early 1915. It is possible that she had taken a break prior to nursing in France and was visiting a married sibling at Nelson or a schoolfriend. I wonder if a census search for 1911 at the address might help.

Thanks for that Jim, I will follow up your idea and let you know the outcome.

The reason why I need to know is that her name and the address feature on a Roll of Honour of Nelson people who were serving in the Forces in early 1915.I f I can trace her connection with Nelson then maybe her name should go on the new War Memorial that was unveiled in Oct 2009.

Fred

Jim,

In the 1911 census the occupants of 17 Helmsdale Road, Nelson were a William Lund (Cotton Weaver)and his family.

Fred

Fred, I did a BMD search for an Addison marrying a Lund but drew a blank. But, of course, the Lunds could have moved on between 1911 and 1915.

Jim,

The occupant of 17 Helmsdale Road in 1914 was H Addison a Size Maker. Could this be her father or brother?

Fred

Jim,

What are the details for Cote, Oxfordshire ?

Might be going that way in the next couple of weeks

Grant

Jim,

The occupant of 17 Helmsdale Road in 1914 was H Addison a Size Maker. Could this be her father or brother?

Fred

I think that you have nailed it. I would guess at father. Her brother was called Frederick. Father was Henry Addison who seemed to turn his hand at anything. In 1891 he was a grocer. In 1901 he was a brewer's commercial traveller. I haven't looked up what he was doing in 1911. My dictionary gives a size maker as a mixer of materials to make pulp paper. Well found, Jim

Jim,

What are the details for Cote, Oxfordshire ?

Might be going that way in the next couple of weeks

Grant

Grant, Bertha CUMMINGS, munition worker, died 10/2/19 and is buried in the Baptist burial ground, Cote, Oxfordshire. Sorry that I cannot provide a grave plot reference but I am assuming the the cemetery won't be very large.I do hope that you can find her as she is not commemorated on the York Minster panels.

1911 has Henry living at 11 Helmsdale Rd, Nelson

Employed as a Cotton Cop Dyer

Wife of 24 yr, Margaret Jane

Daughters - Margaret Christe,19 (Asylum Nurse) / Mary Adele, 16 / Phoebe, 14 / Henrietta, 5.

Grant

Well done Grant.

Her name will now go on the Nelson War Memorial.

Jim,

She was awarded the French Medaille d'Honneur des Epidemies and was said to be the first French Flag Nursing Corps Sister to die.

Fred

Well done Grant.

Her name will now go on the Nelson War Memorial.

Jim,

She was awarded the French Medaille d'Honneur des Epidemies and was said to be the first French Flag Nursing Corps Sister to die.

Fred

Well done, Grant and Fred.

Jim,

Got the details for the Islip, Oxon one?, will try to get there as well

Whats the story with Miss Cummins, couldn't see her on CWGC ?

Grant

Jim,

Got the details for the Islip, Oxon one?, will try to get there as well

Whats the story with Miss Cummins, couldn't see her on CWGC ?

Grant

Bertha Cummings was a munition worker. She started working with munitions at the outbreak of the War. In September 1916 she contracted pleurisy. Then phthisis. She eventually had to return home as her health had totally broken down. She died on the 10th February 1919. She was aged 26.

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update. Some good hits in Scotland and Ireland over the past two months so this list is reducing nicely. Anyone able to reduce further please make contact.

United Kingdom

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

Jim

What do you need there?

It's a bit out of the way for me but I'll have some time on my hands within the next 3- 4 weeks.

Regards

Kenny

Jim

What do you need there?

It's a bit out of the way for me but I'll have some time on my hands within the next 3- 4 weeks.

Regards

Kenny

Jim

I found the details in a previous post! Jeannie Glassford Dalton. I'm on to it.

Kenny

Jim

I found the details in a previous post! Jeannie Glassford Dalton. I'm on to it.

Kenny

That's the one. Take a compass. Kilbride Parish Churchyard; In North-West corner

That's the one. Take a compass. Kilbride Parish Churchyard; In North-West corner

Jim

I'm doing my homework, as usual!

BUT....

I'm struggling to find exactly where Kilbride Parish Church is. I think it's the old church, just off the A816, about 3 miles south of Oban.

However, confusingly, there is another Kilbride Church in Argyll and Bute which is near a place called Kames, on the B8000.

The Commonwealth War Graves Site coesn't narrow it down much and I can't seem to find a reference to it on the Scottish War Graves site.

I'm hoping that you, or one of your contacts will point me in the right direction. Help!!?

Kenny

I think it's at Kames - see here: http://www.bmj.com/content/1/2883/503.full.pdf

Kenny

Kenny, Well found. Prior to your finding the entry in the BMJ I was going to provide this limited information that I have.

1881 census - family at Kames Cottage, Kilfinan, Argyllshire.

1891 census - family at Ehn Bank, Kilfinan, Argyllshire.

1901 census finds members of the family visiting 5 Wilton Drive, Kelvinside, Glasgow.

1916 - at the time of Joan's death her mother was living at 6 Regent Park Square, Strathmingo, Fifeshire.

Jim,

Ref Clementina Addison. Where did the details of the funeral come from?

Also ref nurse Hartley from Nelson, if you have no details I can probably get some for you maybe a photo.

Fred

Jim,

Ref Clementina Addison. Where did the details of the funeral come from?

Also ref nurse Hartley from Nelson, if you have no details I can probably get some for you maybe a photo.

Fred

Fred, The information about Clementina Addison's funeral came from a personal letter that her parents wrote to the committee of the French Flag Nursing Corps. I have some information on Elsie Hartley (mainly census information) together with a photograph of her. BUT, I need a photograph of her grave in Nelson Cemetery and also a photograph of her name on the Carr Road Weslyan Peace Memorial Institute, Cross Street, Nelson. Any help gratefully received, Jim