Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny, Well found. Prior to your finding the entry in the BMJ I was going to provide this limited information that I have.

1881 census - family at Kames Cottage, Kilfinan, Argyllshire.

1891 census - family at Ehn Bank, Kilfinan, Argyllshire.

1901 census finds members of the family visiting 5 Wilton Drive, Kelvinside, Glasgow.

1916 - at the time of Joan's death her mother was living at 6 Regent Park Square, Strathmingo, Fifeshire.

Jim

Jeannie Dalton.

Another one off the list.

See attached small sample. Will mail what I have later tonight.

Regards

Kenny

post-52243-0-76147900-1314736614.jpg

Jim

Jeannie Dalton.

Another one off the list.

See attached small sample. Will mail what I have later tonight.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, That's wonderful. As you say, another off the list. A fine marker, too, with lots of family information. Thank you, Jim

• 1 month later...

Jim, just noticed the Bangour, West Lothian request. What do you need? From memory, I think one of the ladies I looked for in Edinburgh earlier died in Bangour.

Also if it's the place I think, it's now closed and waiting "re-development". However, that's not to say I can't go for a look!

Regards

Kenny

Jim, just noticed the Bangour, West Lothian request. What do you need? From memory, I think one of the ladies I looked for in Edinburgh earlier died in Bangour.

Also if it's the place I think, it's now closed and waiting "re-development". However, that's not to say I can't go for a look!

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, I am not sure if you have tried to help me out on this one before. I have a note that there is a memorial to 15 members of staff that died at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, West Lothian during the Great War. This is in a church built in the grounds at Bangour around 1924. Jim

Kenny, I am not sure if you have tried to help me out on this one before. I have a note that there is a memorial to 15 members of staff that died at Edinburgh War Hospital, Bangour, West Lothian during the Great War. This is in a church built in the grounds at Bangour around 1924. Jim

Hello Jim

No, I haven't looked here before, however, it's not that far away and certainly worth a look.

Doing my research as usual, I noticed this: http://www.bangourvillage.co.uk - it's a "sales pitch" for the site. On the website, there is also this: http://www.bangourvillage.co.uk/images/church-4big.jpg

This is a picture of the interior of the church and you can see clearly the name of Isabella D Cousins in this picture.

I don't know how easy the access would be to get into the church but I'll give it a go at some point.

Kenny

Before the atom bomb dropped on this site and it needed reconstruction I know that there were one or two friends offering help with photographs posted here over the past few days. I should be pleased if they would re-enter their post so that I can contact them.

Jim

Northern Ireland?

My friend Tony is there again. He has volunteered to look for you again, time permitting.

Also, another friend , may be able to help with the requirements near Haltwhistle soon.

Can you email me the details and I'll see if my friends can help?

Regards

Kenny

Blimey, Now I have lost my listing of outstanding photographs required. Luckily I have a copy :-

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possible)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

CORNWALL, Pendeen

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Llandough,

HAMPSHIRE, East Woodhay, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery)

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chart Sutton, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton, Louth

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, North Allerton

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Dublin, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon, Co. Clare (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Mount Upton, Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

Jim

Northern Ireland?

My friend Tony is there again. He has volunteered to look for you again, time permitting.

Also, another friend , may be able to help with the requirements near Haltwhistle soon.

Can you email me the details and I'll see if my friends can help?

Regards

Kenny

Kenny,

Northern Ireland

Co. ANTRIM, Crumlin War Memorial - the name of Lizzie N. MORRISON, VAD, should be on it. View showing her name required.

Co. LONDONDERRY, Coleraine; Articlave - Norah DUGAN, VAD, is buried here. A search of churchyards at St. Pauls (Church of Ireland) and 1st Dunboe (Presbyterian) had failed to find her. Perhaps another cemetery such as a Roman Catholic one may be there.

Co.TYRONE, Dungannon - Emily GRAY, QAIMNS, nurse A. SHORTT, Alicia WATT, QMAAC is believed to be on the war memorial.

Co. TYRONE, Edenderry - Edenderry Church Of Ireland Churchyard has Nellie BRANNIGAN, QMAAC (died 30/3/19).

Northumberland

Haltwhistle - Jeannie Smith LEE, VAD. Her name is believed to be on the Haltwhistle War Memorial. View showing her name on it required.

Blimey, Now I have lost my listing of outstanding photographs required. Luckily I have a copy :-

United Kingdom

BERWICKSHIRE, Bunkle (possible)

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peter

CLWYD, Wrexham

CORNWALL, Pendeen

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Llandough,

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston Cemetery)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, Co. (Crumlin), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone x 4 (Dungannon)

KENT, Chart Sutton, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Dunkinfield, Greater Accrington, Grindleton, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Thornham, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell, Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Enfield (Freezywater), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, St. Pancras, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Risca

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WEST LOTHIAN, Bangour

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Lythe, North Allerton

WORLD

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys,

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (3), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal, Dublin, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon, Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SERBIA, Kragujevac (see Yugoslavia below)

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands), Colorado (Pueblo), Columbia, District of (Washington x 2), Connecticut (East Hartford), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian,), Kansas (Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston x 2), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), New York (Mount Upton, Oneonta, Rockland, Suffern), Ohio (Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac (see Serbia above)

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Kenny,

Northern Ireland

Co. ANTRIM, Crumlin War Memorial - the name of Lizzie N. MORRISON, VAD, should be on it. View showing her name required.

Co. LONDONDERRY, Coleraine; Articlave - Norah DUGAN, VAD, is buried here. A search of churchyards at St. Pauls (Church of Ireland) and 1st Dunboe (Presbyterian) had failed to find her. Perhaps another cemetery such as a Roman Catholic one may be there.

Co.TYRONE, Dungannon - Emily GRAY, QAIMNS, nurse A. SHORTT, Alicia WATT, QMAAC is believed to be on the war memorial.

Co. TYRONE, Edenderry - Edenderry Church Of Ireland Churchyard has Nellie BRANNIGAN, QMAAC (died 30/3/19).

Northumberland

Haltwhistle - Jeannie Smith LEE, VAD. Her name is believed to be on the Haltwhistle War Memorial. View showing her name on it required.

who's at Harrogate?

Rich

P.S.- I seem to think I asked this before, but my memory is shocking at the moment

who's at Harrogate?

Rich

P.S.- I seem to think I asked this before, but my memory is shocking at the moment

Rich, I think that I have done as much as possible with my outstanding requirements at Harrogate. What I have is to get a photograph of the United Methodist Church Memorial. Roy Evans has tried to find the UMCM and enquiries of the Harrogate Methodist Circuit suggests that it was originally in the Victoria Park Church. This was closed in 1953 and demolished soon afterwards. The records were transferred to the North Yorkshire County Record Office at North Allerton but the whereabouts of the memorial is currently unknown. The name of Vivien Knapton, Women's Land Army is on it. I have kept it outstanding in the hope that someone will have knowledge as to where this memorial may now be.

I'm just down the road from Billinghay, Lincolnshire. What do you require from there?

Regards, Mike

Mike, I am after a photograph of the headstone of Nellie WILLSON, QAIMNS, who died on the 16th October 1918. She is buried in Billinghay (St. Michael) Church Cemetery. Also a shot showing her name on the Billinghay War Memorial, Jim

Jim

What about Haydon Bridge?

Also, remember I've done Kingussie.

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, My mistake in leaving Kingussie. You have done it for me and there are no further needs from there. I have amended the listing. As for Haydon Bridge I have a note that Winifred Eliza CARRICK, VAD, who died 24/6/1919 is buried in St. Cuthbert's Cemetery there. Another person has already searched the cemetery for me looking for her and without success. I am hesitant in asking someone else to do so in case I am wasting their time., Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Kenny,

Northumberland

Hello Jim

My friend Bobby Robb was at Haltwhistle at the weekend.

He has sent me pictures of the War Memorial there. I will forward them to you tonight. He has managed to get a close up of Nurse Jeanie Smith Lee's name for you.

I note in one of the pictures of the panel, there is the name "Nurse O Smith". I don't want to assume this was a woman, however, may be worth a nosey for you if you don't have anything?

Regards

Kenny

Jim

I should be able to cover Cote in Oxfordshire.

Regards

Bob

Hello Jim

My friend Bobby Robb was at Haltwhistle at the weekend.

He has sent me pictures of the War Memorial there. I will forward them to you tonight. He has managed to get a close up of Nurse Jeanie Smith Lee's name for you.

I note in one of the pictures of the panel, there is the name "Nurse O Smith". I don't want to assume this was a woman, however, may be worth a nosey for you if you don't have anything?

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, Photograph not received yet but guess that you have been busy. Most interesting that this includes Nurse O. Smith. I didn't know that she was on the memorial. This is Nurse Olive Smith, masseur with the Scottish Women's Hospital. She is CWGC commemorated and is buried in Greece. Whilst the 1891 census finds her at Hexham and the 1901 census at Wolverhampton the 1881 census has her living at Haltwhistle so I am certain that this is her.

Jim

I should be able to cover Cote in Oxfordshire.

Regards

Bob

Bob, I appreciate the offer. Bertha Cummings was a munition worker who died on the 10th February 1919. She is buried in the Baptist Chapel burial ground, Cote, near Bampton, Oxfordshire. I need a readable photograph of her headstone, please. If there is a local war memorial worth having a look for her name there, too.

Hi Jim,

Could you please Email me as I am having trouble attaching the photos from Bilinghay regarding Nurse Nellie Willson.

Regards,

Mike

Mike, I have written direct as requested, Jim

Kenny, Photograph not received yet but guess that you have been busy. Most interesting that this includes Nurse O. Smith. I didn't know that she was on the memorial. This is Nurse Olive Smith, masseur with the Scottish Women's Hospital. She is CWGC commemorated and is buried in Greece. Whilst the 1891 census finds her at Hexham and the 1901 census at Wolverhampton the 1881 census has her living at Haltwhistle so I am certain that this is her.

Jim

I sent the mail last night.

However, it was a large mail, so may not have been delivered.

I'll re-send in 4 separate mails.

Interesting note re Nurse Olive Smith.

Regards

Kenny

Jim

I stopped in Cote today but could not find a grave for Bertha Cummings. Cote is too small to have a War Memorial so I checked the next village, Aston, but no joy.

I have not given up hope yet as a family freind lives opposite the Chapel.

I took photos of the Chapel and will post them when I can.

There was a sign on the Chapels noticeboard regarding a concert to be held there on 11/11 "An evening of words and music from the First World War"!

It was far from a wasted visit as I also found the grave of a good freind of my late mother.

Perhaps it was ordained that I should go there.

Bob

PS Constance Cummings used to live at Cote, with Richard Todd, I wonder if there is a link with Bertha?

Photos of Cote Chapel

post-11115-0-37162900-1320013757.jpg

Bob