Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

You have confused me further - I can accept that Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker, Staff Nurse on the memorial and Elsie Kelly Donaldson, Staff Nurse in the journal can be the same person but I could not find her under either name on CWGC.

However, Elizabeth Kelly Parker, Matron is recorded by CWGC so surely these have to be different people?

Tony

Jim

You have confused me further - I can accept that Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker, Staff Nurse on the memorial and Elsie Kelly Donaldson, Staff Nurse in the journal can be the same person but I could not find her under either name on CWGC.

However, Elizabeth Kelly Parker, Matron is recorded by CWGC so surely these have to be different people?

Tony

My very point. Elizabeth Kelly Parker, according to CWGC, had a father Joseph Donaldson Parker. The name Donaldson finds it's way to Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker. Elsie does not appear in the CWGC database as she is already there as Elizabeth. So what is really different is that she is acknowledged as matron in one place but not in another. So far as I can tell she was the matron on the Hospital Ship Braemar Castle. This may have been her first promotion as matron and her death followed very soon afterwards so that some sources still had her at her previous level.

It is certainly not unusual to have the same person recorded with different ranks. I have an example of a man recorded as 2nd Lieutenant on SDGW and Cadet on the local War Memorial.

Regards,

Alf McM

Thanks Jim

I now accept that they are one and the same, what was confusing was 'Staff Nurse' and 'Matron' but then memorials can be confusing.

I currently have a casualty buried in Essex in a CWGC plot and commemorated on the Screen Wall as Corporal, Auxiliary Territorial Service but not on the CWGC Roll of Honour and the MOD are insisting that she had been discharged but she died in a Ministry of Health Hospital that treated sick and wounded service casualties; I am now waiting their response as to when and why she was discharged from service.

Tony

Jim

I've Just had a few days in Aldeburgh, Suffolk and I noticed this nurse remembered on the war memorial:

JAY C Nurse QAIMS

and wondered if you have a record of her in your lists?

Cheers, Terry

Jim

I've Just had a few days in Aldeburgh, Suffolk and I noticed this nurse remembered on the war memorial:

JAY C Nurse QAIMS

and wondered if you have a record of her in your lists?

Cheers, Terry

Terry, This would be K. Christine Jay, QAMNS for India who died on the 12th August 1916 on board the Hospital Ship Takada in the Indian Ocean. So presumabely buried at sea. So far as I can tell she is not commemorated by the CWGC although her name is on the York Minster panels. I have a photograph of her but was unaware of her name on the Aldeburgh War Memorial. Did you take a photograph of her name on the memorial and, if so, may I have a copy please?

Jim,

Yes I did and of course you may, any one or all three of: - hi-res photos (c. 5 to 6mb), of the memorial, the panel, and a closeup of the name.

Is your email address the same as that in May'08?

Cheers, Terry

post-7031-060118200 1282517609.jpg

Jim,

I'm not sure about Sister E.P.A. Munson QAIMNSR. Does she have any connection with Gravesend or Suffolk?

I became interested in the Great War while researching my family history which has been shelved since.

Seems to be going full circle now though as a few probable links have come to light on the forum.

I got side-tracked tonight. I’ll send the photos shortly.

Cheers, Terry

Jim,

I'm not sure about Sister E.P.A. Munson QAIMNSR. Does she have any connection with Gravesend or Suffolk?

I became interested in the Great War while researching my family history which has been shelved since.

Seems to be going full circle now though as a few probable links have come to light on the forum.

I got side-tracked tonight. I’ll send the photos shortly.

Cheers, Terry

Sorry, Terry, I don't know where she comes from. It is just that I have her 1914/5 star in my medal collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jim,

Tried to PM you, you message box must be full.

Found a headstone in Dean's Grange Cemetery remembering Dorothy May Jones, headstone mentions she died in the sinking of the RMS Leinster. The grave is her Grandfather's who was ex military, 95th Regiment. If you would like a picture let me know.

Regards,

Brendan.

My inbox shouldn't be full but it is. I have seen others on the forum being surprised at having full inboxes and wonder if with the change of presentation of the site the moderators have reduced the number of messages that can be stored. Then, wham, with the change an instant full inbox. I seem to be able to have a maximum of 40. Perhaps it was 50 previously. I was keeping these as it was "permissions" to use photographs and were available for future reference. I have now had delete some of these to get within the max. What a bummer. Brendan, coming to you direct with my email address. Jim

Hi Jim,

I've just found this thread.

I wondered if you need a cemetery photo of Staff Nurse Florence Gwendolin Howard?

She is buried in Pontypridd. I can check the local press for you as well if needed.

Any others in South Wales neeeded?

Regards

Cam.

Hi Jim,

I've just found this thread.

I wondered if you need a cemetery photo of Staff Nurse Florence Gwendolin Howard?

She is buried in Pontypridd. I can check the local press for you as well if needed.

Any others in South Wales neeeded?

Regards

Cam.

Hello Cam, My full requirements are back a page and post 752. I already have a photograph of Florence Howard's grave but thank you for the offer. My Welsh requirements are :-

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

If you feel that any of these are possible I would be very pleased to provide more information,

Regards, Jim

Hi Jim,

If you PM me the details of the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire photo's

you need I'll see what I can do while I'm out and about!

Regards

Cam.

Hi Jim,

If you PM me the details of the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire photo's

you need I'll see what I can do while I'm out and about!

Regards

Cam.

Hello Cam, List sent direct. Any that you can get will be much appreciated, Regards, Jim

• 4 weeks later...

CGM has been beavering away and has found the whereabouts of graves that were lost to me - particularly munition workers and VADs in the London area. It would be nice to clear a few more. So if Pals are out and about please bear my requirements in mind. Thank you. Here is my updated wants list :-

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon,

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston), Southsea

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine - elusive), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Greater Accrington, Manchester (Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Camden (Hampstead), City of London, East Sheen, Edmonton (2), Islington (2), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, West Ham, Willesden

LOTHIAN, Musselburgh (Northesk)

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby,

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

CGM has been beavering away and has found the whereabouts of graves that were lost to me - particularly munition workers and VADs in the London area. It would be nice to clear a few more. So if Pals are out and about please bear my requirements in mind. Thank you. Here is my updated wants list :-

CUMBERLAND, Bassenthwaite Lake

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

Hello Jim

I'm going walking to the Lake District on the 29th (Next Friday)and probably will pass Bassenthwaite Lake at some point. What do you need there? I'll see what I can do, time permitting.

As for Daviot, Inverness-shire, I'm sure you told me someone had already done this for you?

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Jim

I'm going walking to the Lake District on the 29th (Next Friday)and probably will pass Bassenthwaite Lake at some point. What do you need there? I'll see what I can do, time permitting.

As for Daviot, Inverness-shire, I'm sure you told me someone had already done this for you?

Regards

Kenny Bell

Oops. Absolutely right, Kennie. My requirement from Daviot has been fulfilled. But in proving it to myself found another new one for Inverness-shire.

Elizabeth McDonald, QAIMNS. died 10/10/18. Believed to be buried in a family plot in Kingussie Cemetery.

The Bassenthwaite one is fairly new to me and led from a death notice :-

A death notice in The Times dated 16th May 1919 reads :- “FISHER – On the 14th May, at a nursing home in London, after 10 days contracted while doing V.A.D. work, Dorothy, daughter of Joseph Fisher, of Higham Bassenthwaite Lake, Cumberland. Interment at Setmurphy, Bassenthwaite Lake, 3 p.m., 17th May”.

The Bassenthwaite one is fairly new to me and led from a death notice :-

A death notice in The Times dated 16th May 1919 reads :- “FISHER – On the 14th May, at a nursing home in London, after 10 days contracted while doing V.A.D. work, Dorothy, daughter of Joseph Fisher, of Higham Bassenthwaite Lake, Cumberland. Interment at Setmurphy, Bassenthwaite Lake, 3 p.m., 17th May”.

OK Jim, I'm onto it. Time permitting, I'll see what I can do. Meantime, you may be interested in this (if you've not already seen it) - http://www.visitcumbria.com/cm/setmurthy-st-barnabas-church.htm

Kenny

Could you let me know what you need for Durham; Dawdon, Seaham....I may be able to help.

Louise

Kenny, If you gain access to the church it would be nice to know if any of the stained glass windows relate to Dorothy. Interesting that she must have been related to Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury (1945 - 61).

Louise, These are my requirements and thank you for the offer.

Martha Hannah BEECH, munition worker, died 25/5/17. She is buried in Princess Road cemetery, Seaham (plot number unknown to me)

Jim,

tried to PM but your in box was full. I have family nearby, so if they can't manage, I'll have a go on my next visit.

Jim,

tried to PM but your in box was full. I have family nearby, so if they can't manage, I'll have a go on my next visit.

Thanks for the update. I have emptied out some of my PMs. I am fairly certain that when this site was rejigged they reduced the number of messages that could be held. As I had a lot (but within the previous maximum) once rejigged it immediately became full and I didn't know it.

Kenny, If you gain access to the church it would be nice to know if any of the stained glass windows relate to Dorothy. Interesting that she must have been related to Geoffrey Fisher, Archbishop of Canterbury (1945 - 61).

Jim

Several pictures of Dorothy's grave and one of a stained glass window relating to Dorothy on their way to you. The church was closed but I managed to get a picture of the stained window through the window diagonally opposite it. Couldn't quite get it all but, see what you think.

Regards

Kenny