Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Jim

I take your point re the "Salta" Memorial. Someone I know may be going to Ste. Marie Cemetery later this year, I will ask them to try and get a better photo.

St. Matthews Church in Naburn is still standing, it was the private chapel to the recently refurbished Naburn Hall which was dismantled. If you are reasonably sure that Joan Mary Georgina PALMES was interred there I can have a look on Saturday as I am going to the WFA meeting in York. (Wouldn't miss Peter Hart for all the tea in China !)

Regards

Peter

A woman shown as "Unknown" on the Salta Memorial has been acknowledged as being Jane Roberts, QAIMNS. You kindly let me have a photograph but from it I cannot read if she is still shown as "unknown woman" or if the CWGC has actually put her name. I need a reasonable photograph showing her name. I appreciate that the memorial is not very photogenic !!

I was there last September and have a photograph of the memorial plaque, which shows "Staff Nurse A G Mann" and underneath "1 Unknown Nursing Sister". Maybe they have changed it now but if not you are welcome to a copy, it obviously does not show her name but it is a reasonable photograph.

Also, do you still want a photograph in Dorking? I looked at your list. If so is it Dorking Cemetery? I have noticed there are RAMC buried there so will be going myself shortly.

I'm sorry I never went back to Leatherhead again after saying I would try to get your photograph there.

Barbara

Ian - I replied yesterday. I have some basic information on Constance Dean that I passed on to you yesterday. If not received please let me know and I will send again.

Peter - I am fairly certain that Joan Palmes is in the churchyard of the church of St. Matthew, Naburn. My information came from an obituary in The Times which must be fairly reliable. If you can look on Saturday that would be great but your WFA meeting must take priority. With regards to the Salta Memorial I am awaiting the CWGC to add the name of staff nurse Jane Roberts in place of the "unknown nurse" that is there at present. It obviously will take them time to do it and that is why Le Havre remains as something that I need but have to wait for.

Barbara - I have a photograph of the two names that you mention off the Salta Memorial but I would welcome yours, too, so that I can choose the best so please send it along to jimstrawbridge AT coinsale.fsnet.co.uk. As to Dorking, I need a photograph of the grave marker of Daisy Maud Cottingham WADLING who died at Endell Street Military Hospital on the 1st November 1918 and is buried in Dorking Cemetery. I am not sure of her plot number but contact details, sat nav reference and cemetery layout are all on the web.

ps. I have today added Saffron Walden to my needs.

Peter - I am fairly certain that Joan Palmes is in the churchyard of the church of St. Matthew, Naburn. My information came from an obituary in The Times which must be fairly reliable.

Jim

Along with GWF Pal Geoff Greensmith, we managed to have a look in the churchyard after the WFA meeting (it was snowing then raining in morning !) There is a large family grave to the Palmes family but Joan's name was not on it.

She is named on the village war memorial which is situated in the churchyard but you state earlier that you have a photo of this.

On the church sign there were names and phone numbers of the minister and two churchwardens, I will contact them this week to see if they can assist.

Will PM you with further info asap.

Regards

Peter

Jim

Along with GWF Pal Geoff Greensmith, we managed to have a look in the churchyard after the WFA meeting (it was snowing then raining in morning !) There is a large family grave to the Palmes family but Joan's name was not on it.

She is named on the village war memorial which is situated in the churchyard but you state earlier that you have a photo of this.

On the church sign there were names and phone numbers of the minister and two churchwardens, I will contact them this week to see if they can assist.

Will PM you with further info asap.

Regards

Peter

Peter, My thanks to you and Geoff for finding the time to look in what must have been pretty bad weather. I wonder if she is in a vault rather than a grave. Jim

Hello Jim

An update for you.

I'm heading out walking with my friends on Sunday and will be doing a little detour into Dunfermline. I'll see what I can do.

Regards

Kenny

Jim

Managed to find the gravestone for Catherine Cook Miller after 2 visits - it has been knocked over but is the right way up. I'll email tonight,

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

Going to Islington tomorrow and will take some more photos and will check the registers re date of death of Jane L Griffiths and burial date for Helen Paxton Morton. I'll get back to you over the weekend.

Judy

Jim

What do you need in Saffron Walden?

Bob

Bob, I need a photograph of the grave markers of :-

Winifred May FURLONG, VAD, who is buried in compartment 20, plot 22, Saffron Walden cemetery. She died on the 26th October 1918. The next grave should be her parents and in compartment 6 are a few more Furlongs. If you find 8 of them then you have a mile (joke). Out of interest the family were quite well known gun-makers in Saffron Walden. But it is Winifred May that I am after.

also :-

Mabel Elizabeth SMITH, VAD, who is buried in compartment 1, grave 5. She died on the 7th Novemeber 1918. Jim

• 1 month later...

Time for an update.

United Kingdom

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Llangadock, Llanybydder

DEVONSHIRE, Exmouth

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon

ESSEX, Colchester, Halstead, Saffron Walden

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff West, Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston), Southsea

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down (Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine - elusive), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Dukinfield, Greater Accrington, Mellor, Southport, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Edmonton (2), Islington (2), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, Silvertown, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Govilon, Llanfigangel, Risca

NORTHAMPTONSHIRE, East Haddon

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Lythe, Naburn, North Allerton

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

BELGIUM, Poperinge

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Herault, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Roscommon, Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

• Admin

To atone for my failure to find the 2 Chippenham ladies I might be able to get Estaires for you at the end of the month

Michelle

Time for an update.

United Kingdom

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Llangadock, Llanybydder

DORSETSHIRE, Charmouth, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon

ESSEX, Saffron Walden

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff West, Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Portsmouth (Kingston), Southsea

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Kingussie

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine - elusive), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Dukinfield, Greater Accrington, Manchester (Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Southport, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), Camden (Hampstead), East Sheen, Edmonton (2), Islington (2), Kensal Green, Norwood, Plaistow, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Wandsworth, West Ham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Govilon, Llanfigangel, Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

SUSSEX, Arlington

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Lythe, Naburn,

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Herault, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Hey Jim

what do you need from Harrogate?

Rich

To atone for my failure to find the 2 Chippenham ladies I might be able to get Estaires for you at the end of the month

Michelle

Michelle, These two may not be easy to find but I am hopeful. Rosalie DETOURLET and Marie SLORAN are buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery. They are female foreign nationals whose graves are under CWGC care.

Hey Jim

what do you need from Harrogate?

Rich

Rich, Thanks for the offer but I doubt if you will be able to help with this one. Vivienne Isabelle KNAPTON, Woman's Land Army, and was commemorated on the United Methodist Church Memorial, Harrogate. Roy Evans has tried to find the UMCM and enquiries of the Harrogate Methodist Circuit suggests that it was originally in the Victoria Park Church. This was closed in 1953 and demolished soon afterwards. The records were transferred to the North Yorkshire County Record Office at North Allerton but the whereabouts of the memorial is currently unknown. I have left it on my list in the hope that someone knows the whereabouts of the memorial so that it can be photographed.

Rich, Thanks for the offer but I doubt if you will be able to help with this one. Vivienne Isabelle KNAPTON, Woman's Land Army, and was commemorated on the United Methodist Church Memorial, Harrogate. Roy Evans has tried to find the UMCM and enquiries of the Harrogate Methodist Circuit suggests that it was originally in the Victoria Park Church. This was closed in 1953 and demolished soon afterwards. The records were transferred to the North Yorkshire County Record Office at North Allerton but the whereabouts of the memorial is currently unknown. I have left it on my list in the hope that someone knows the whereabouts of the memorial so that it can be photographed.

ok will not trytoo hard there then

Rich

Time for an update.

United Kingdom

FIFE, Dunfirmline

Hello Jim

You can take this one off next update...

I've done this one for you. Catherine Cook Miller.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

You can take this one off next update...

I've done this one for you. Catherine Cook Miller.

Regards

Kenny

Thank you, Kenny, You're a star. I look forward to receiving it.

Michelle, These two may not be easy to find but I am hopeful. Rosalie DETOURLET and Marie SLORAN are buried in Estaires Communal Cemetery. They are female foreign nationals whose graves are under CWGC care.

Michelle

I tried to find these two years ago with no success, although I was given the supposed plot locations.

If the graves are under the care of the CWGC, I wonder if they have a more precise location in proximity to a Commission Headstone or a very prominent private memorial. It might be worth you contacting them prior to your visit.

Bonne Chance !

Peter

Thank you, Kenny, You're a star. I look forward to receiving it.

Jim

I'm confused!

see my posts above.

I mailed you the pictures for Catherine Cook Miller late February or is there another (new) requirement for Fife?

If there is a new requirement, give me the details and I'll see what I can do.

As an aside, I may be able to have a look for the grave in Kingusie sometime in mid June (wife and kids and mother in law permitting!)

Regards

Kenny

Jim

I'm confused!

see my posts above.

I mailed you the pictures for Catherine Cook Miller late February or is there another (new) requirement for Fife?

If there is a new requirement, give me the details and I'll see what I can do.

As an aside, I may be able to have a look for the grave in Kingusie sometime in mid June (wife and kids and mother in law permitting!)

Regards

Kenny

Kenny, Sorry, my error. You did indeed let me have photographs of Catherine Cook Miller's grave. Safely gathered in. I am writing to you direct re Dollar (new). Jim