DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

FIFE, Dunfirmline

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston), Southsea

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Greater Accrington, Manchester (Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Abney Park, Camberwell (2), City of London, East Sheen, Edmonton (2), Islington, Kensal Green, Norwood, Tottenham (4), Twickenham, Willesden

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIRE, Misterton,

OXFORDSHIRE, Cote, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SUFFOLK, Aldeburgh

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Batley, Harrogate, Whitby,

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

QUOTE (gaelgoir @ Jun 26 2010, 05:08 PM) I have checked the Garisson Church at Arbour Hill in dublin for teh nurses memorial you thought might be there. I was wrong about the Church beside St Bricins military hospital (Formerly KGV hospital) That Greek orthodox church was a school. The current Church of the sacred Heart is the base chlaplaincy for the Irish defence forces. Monseignor Eoin Thynne is head chaplain. I can easily contact him as i met his brother.

The bad news is that there are no British memorials there, only three recent ones to Irish troops lost on UN service. The surrounding graveyard contains many headstones of soldiers and their families who were stationed at Collins (formerly The Royal) barracks.

I have to conclude that any memorials were removed when the church was rededicated. I suspect they could have been sent to St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin which still has the flags of various regiments but will check at some stage.

gaelgoir, The memorial in the Garrison Church, Dublin, I consider to be of major importance both when it was installed and since. Each of the countries of the UK (I include southern Ireland here as historically it was at the time) seems to have set up memorials to remember their WW1 women casualties.

England - York Minster panels.

Scotland - Edinburgh, St. Giles Kirk

Wales - Llanelwy, St. Asaph Cathedral

N.Ireland - Belfast, St. Anne's Church of Ireland Cathedral

S.Ireland - Dublin, Garrison Church

It is for this reason that I think that the memorial is still there, or if not, removed to a prestigous site elsewhere in Dublin. So your thought that it may have been removed to St. Patrick's Cathedral is very feasible. I shall have to do some deep research unless someone on here has the amswer, Jim

I think you are correct that it must have been at Arbour Hill Garisson church, this is to the rear of Collin's (Royal) Barracks and a hundred yards from the KGV (now st Bricin's) hospital. There was a garisson church at Richmond barracks Inchicore (now St Michael's RC church) but i recall no memorials there and the nurses would have bee based at the hospital. I am not aware of churches at Beggars Bush, Islandbridge, McKee Griffith or Rathmines barracks in Dublin but if it is important i can check. If I am passing st Patricks on foot i can inquire of the staff it is always open daytime. I will have my camera handy

Jim

Send me the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire missing ones and I will see what I can do

Cheers

Woody

Woody, Thank you.

Catherine Hannah JOLLANDS, died 8/7/15. She was a civilian nurse who wouldn't normally make it to my Register but her name is on the Misterton War Memorial. I have a photo of that. But I have since found that she is buried in the cemetery, just north of Misterton on the road to Haxey called, I think, Haxey Road Cemetery, Misterton. She is in plot J.9.

Ciceley EADY, munition worker. Her name on the Nether Langwith war memorial is required. I do not know where she is buried so I am hopeful that she can be found in the local cemetery.

Ruth Mary NODDER, Territorial Forse Nursing Service. Her name on the Ashover war memorial, Chesterfield is required. Her father was the rector at Ashover so it is just possible that there is a memorial in the church to her. She died in Rawalpindi in what is now Pakistan.

If you can get photographs of any of the above I should be most grateful.

Here is my updated wants list :-

(Cut)

Inverness: Daviot

Fife: Dunfermline

Edinburgh: Colinton

Jim

My mate Tony, the guy who checked out Coleraine, is going to Inverness area in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

He has kindly offered to have a look at Daviot for you if he has time.

So, if you reply with details......

Also, what do you need at Fife:Dunfermline (this is new!) and at Midlothian: Edinburgh(Colinton).

It's another "don't know when" message from me but if you give me the details for these, I'll see what I can manage.

And, I've not forgotten about Dumbarton!

Regards

Kenny Bell

Jim

My mate Tony, the guy who checked out Coleraine, is going to Inverness area in the next 2 to 3 weeks.

He has kindly offered to have a look at Daviot for you if he has time.

So, if you reply with details......

Also, what do you need at Fife:Dunfermline (this is new!) and at Midlothian: Edinburgh(Colinton).

It's another "don't know when" message from me but if you give me the details for these, I'll see what I can manage.

And, I've not forgotten about Dumbarton!

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Kenny, Daviot is a mistake on my part. I had needed the grave of Evelyn Mary MacKintosh (of MacKintosh) but I see that Stuart Farrell has already got it for me. I have amended the list which is a moveable feast anyway. As you say, Dunfirmline is a new one. This is for the grave of Catherine Cook Miller, QAIMNS, who died 24th December 1918. She is not recorded with the CWGC and all that I have is that she is buried in Dunfirmline Cemetery having been transported by train from Liverpool where she had died. I am hoping that a quick call to the cemetery office will give details from their registers towards the end of December 1918 of the location of the plot so that it can be found. As to Colinton the grave of Gertrude Row-Fogo, VAD, is there. Unfortunately I do not know her date of death but I am hoping that the cemetery is not large. Jim

Hello Kenny, Daviot is a mistake on my part. I had needed the grave of Evelyn Mary MacKintosh (of MacKintosh) but I see that Stuart Farrell has already got it for me. I have amended the list which is a moveable feast anyway. As you say, Dunfirmline is a new one. This is for the grave of Catherine Cook Miller, QAIMNS, who died 24th December 1918. She is not recorded with the CWGC and all that I have is that she is buried in Dunfirmline Cemetery having been transported by train from Liverpool where she had died. I am hoping that a quick call to the cemetery office will give details from their registers towards the end of December 1918 of the location of the plot so that it can be found. As to Colinton the grave of Gertrude Row-Fogo, VAD, is there. Unfortunately I do not know her date of death but I am hoping that the cemetery is not large. Jim

Hello Jim

I'm travelling through to Edinburgh next wednesday for a meeting. I'll try to pick up a picture of the grave of Gertrude then.

As an aside, I assume you know of this site:

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/index.php?mforum=scottishwargraves

I note that it shows a picture of Gertrude's grave here:

http://scottishwargraves.phpbbweb.com/scottishwargraves-ftopic174-0-asc-30.html

And there is also one for Constance Muriel STEELL on the same page.

Do you want me to try to get one for her too (or do you have this already?)

AND

Finally,

I see that their names appear on the war memorial which, as far as I can tell is within the graveyard. I'll try to pick that up too.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Kenny, I did not know of these photographs on the web. Indeed, I did not know the last resting place of Constance Steell although I had photographs of her memorial at Juniper Green. Nor did I know that their names were on the was memorial hopefully in the Colinton churchyard grounds. Lots more work to do, obviously, Jim

Kenny, I did not know of these photographs on the web. Indeed, I did not know the last resting place of Constance Steell although I had photographs of her memorial at Juniper Green. Nor did I know that their names were on the was memorial hopefully in the Colinton churchyard grounds. Lots more work to do, obviously, Jim

Hello Jim

I didn't know of this site until recently. It'll certainly help me identify where the grave of Gertrude Row-Fogo is next week.

I'll also get one of Constance Steell (provided I can find them!)

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

Off to Edinburgh tomorrow, so as indicated already, I'll try to pick up the pictures for Gertrude Row-Foggo and Constance Steell.

I'm going on a short trip to the north Cumbrain coast early next week.

What do you need at Workington? I'll try to have a look for you if I can.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Jim

Off to Edinburgh tomorrow, so as indicated already, I'll try to pick up the pictures for Gertrude Row-Foggo and Constance Steell.

I'm going on a short trip to the north Cumbrain coast early next week.

What do you need at Workington? I'll try to have a look for you if I can.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Kenny, I am after the grave of 5163 Worker F.F. Hope, Q.M.A.A.C. She is in Workington (Harrington Road) Cemetery, plot 4. D. 13. If passing the town's war memorial she may be on there, too, with Edith Pearton, YMCA. I don't know if either are on the WM so please don't go out of your way.

Hello Jim

Workington - I'll see what I can do.

The pictures for Gertrude Row-Fogo and Constance Steell are on their way to you.

Regards

Kenny

Hello Jim

Workington - I'll see what I can do.

The pictures for Gertrude Row-Fogo and Constance Steell are on their way to you.

Regards

Kenny

Thank you, Kenny. Gertrude and Constance safely received.

Kenny/Jim

I'm not looking to tread on anyone's toes here but I work in Dunfermline, if I can help with that one let me know.

Kenny/Jim

I'm not looking to tread on anyone's toes here but I work in Dunfermline, if I can help with that one let me know.

It's nearer than where I live - Hamilton!

Regards

Kenny

No problem, I'll get to the cemetery next week. It's looking a bit dreich today.

Cummon, you Scots. Give us a hint. Is it the same as dimpsy?

I had to look "dimpsy" up, no, that would be gloaming.

Dreich is overcast with anything from a hint of rain to a full blown downpour. Just what you would expect in Fife in July. :)

Jim

FF Hope.

Full set of pictures on their way.

Sorry, nothing for the war memorial in Workington - to be honest, I didn't have time to look. However, from having a nosey elsewhere on the internet, if I recall, there are no names on the memorial itself, although there are, apparently, names in a Workington Book of Rememberance in one of the local churches.

Regards

Kenny Bellpost-52243-063278600 1280946082.jpg

Arbour hill garrison church nurses memorial. There is no nurse's memorial in the church and thh current head chaplain (Mgr Tyynne) replied to me that there is no record to his knowleged relating to such amamorial or its removal. It is not in St Patrick's cathedral which has flags of regiments.

Can you supply any details of the information that indicated that there was a memorial, when it was placed etc Is it possible that it was in the nearby military hospital for instance.

Something strange. All the names on the memorial, except one, agree with the list of names published in the journal.

The first name ELSIE KELLY DONALDSON PARKER - STAFF NURSE does not agree with the journal ELSIE KELLY DONALDSON - STAFF NURSE

also neither of those names/rank, as stated, appear on the CWGC commemoration lists.

The only one that I found on CWGC that is anyway similar is ELIZABETH KELLY PARKER - MATRON

Any suggestions Jim?

Tony

Kenny

Thank you for the photographs of the headstone of F.F. Hope.

Gaelgoir, Johnny Doyle and Tonym

She was recorded as Elizabeth Kelly Parker and Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker. I am happy that these are the same woman. Elizabeth Parker's father was Joseph Donaldson Parker. The Donaldson part seems to be a family name which Elizabeth either assumed or she was baptised with. She is Elsie Kelly Donaldson Parker on the memorial in St. Annes Church, Belfast. The British Journal of Nursing states that she was Elsie Kelly Donaldson on the memorial in Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin (but the BNJ is full of errors and I suspect that the compositor made a mistake here and omitted the surname). The Millbank memorial (now in Aldershot) has her as E.K.D. Parker. The war memorial in St. Canice’s Cathedral, Kilkenny is Elizabeth K. Parker. The CWGC has her as Elizabeth Kelly Parker although her headstone reads E.K. Parker. Because of the difficulty in tracking down the memorial at Arbour Hill Garrison Church, Dublin I am coming around to the idea that the memorial in St. Annes Church, Belfast was either moved from Dublin or, indeed, was destined for Dublin but in view of southern Ireland becoming a republic the "powers that be" rethought it as being more appropriate to be placed to Belfast. A bit of research now needed to confirm this.