Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

wanted - photos nationwide

Jim Strawbridge

Hi Jim

I was doing some web searches on the list of names you gave me before I come to the UK in August and was put in touch with a chap who has info from a publication called 'Ackrills Harrogate War Souvenir' have you heard of or seen this? He has sent me a number of scans with pictures of:

Nurse Luford

Nurse Newbold

Olive Yeates

Vivian Knapton

B. G. Stevenson

All of whom were casualties.

He also sent me pictures of the Harrogate WM of the following names:

Dorothy Watson

Catherine Foreman

Betty Stevenson (possibly B. G. as above)

And finally a photo of the grave of Emmie Keyworth, whom he describes as 'one of the Barnbow Lasses'

Do you need any of these?

Regards

Ian Chambers

Hi Jim

I was doing some web searches on the list of names you gave me before I come to the UK in August and was put in touch with a chap who has info from a publication called 'Ackrills Harrogate War Souvenir' have you heard of or seen this? He has sent me a number of scans with pictures of:

Nurse Luford

Nurse Newbold

Olive Yeates

Vivian Knapton

B. G. Stevenson

All of whom were casualties.

He also sent me pictures of the Harrogate WM of the following names:

Dorothy Watson

Catherine Foreman

Betty Stevenson (possibly B. G. as above)

And finally a photo of the grave of Emmie Keyworth, whom he describes as 'one of the Barnbow Lasses'

Do you need any of these?

Regards

Ian Chambers

Ian, At various times people have sent me bits from Ackrils and I thought that I had the lot. Certainly I have Yeates and Knapton from that source. I have nothing on Luford and Newbold and hope that you (or someone) will be able to confirm that these were not female casualties but actually survived. Betty Stevenson I didn't know was in Ackrils and would like to have what there is about her but she is one of the most known about female casualties so I have quite a bit about her already and wonder if Ackrils will actually add anything. She was actually Bertha Gavin Stevenson so your surmise of B.G. Stevenson being her is correct. Catherine Foreman was WW2 so outside of my scope. I aleardy have photographs of the grave of Emmie Keyworth. Thank you for letting me know that you have these. Please let me know re Luford and Newbold, Jim

Ian, safely received, thank you. They seem to have been both civilians hence I didn't have them. But I will probably add them to the Register in the same way that I have been doing with civilan women on war memorials.

Rab, thanks for the "heads up" re Lapish. Just the sort of thing that I am after. I am not a member of the WFA so would never have seen it. Will now sign up.

Hi Jim

Josephine Mary Crilly, in the info you posted you say that her grave is lost, can you clarify this for me? Do you mean you have no idea where it is or you know where it is, ie the cemetery it is in, but the actual grave cannot be found. I have found reference to her headstone and went to the cemetery today but could not find it, I have asked for info on another website and am awaiting replies.

Regards

IanC

Hello Connor, My requirements in British Columbia are threefold. There is a memorial (attached to the band-stand) in Langford Veteran’s Park, British Columbia. On it will be the names of Jane Johnstone, Eliza Kennedy and Mary Elizabeth Oliphant (all of the Mercantile Marine). I also need a photograph of the memorial in St.Pauls Anglican Church, Esquimalt, British Colombia in memory of Gladys Mary Maude Wake. Lastly, a photograph of Mount Wake which is named after her as part of the Canadian Lands and Parks programme where unnamed geographical features could be named after Canadians who gave their lives during war. Regards, Jim

Jim

You posted the message above in October last year for Connor.

Well.... Greetings from my holiday on Vancouver Island!

First the good news - I have a picture for you of the memorial in Langford Veteran's Park. It has, as you have noted, the names of Jane Johnstone, Eliza Kennedy and Mary Oliphant. There were also small individual memorial paving stones with their names on them. These are inscribed on a maple leaf shape and look quite nice. I got photographs of these too. I'll get the photos to you in about 2 weeks - once I get back from holiday.

Now the bad(ish) news. I also went to St Paul's in Esquimalt but it was closed and no-one about! I couldn't get in! However, I noted that their office is open 9.00am to 12 mid day. If I can get going back, I'll give them a call and ask if they'll allow me access.

Regards

Kenny Bell

hello Jim

read through the multi pages but did not find if you received any replies re: sites in Saskatchewan, Canada

do you need any there??

Bob R.

Ian, safely received, thank you. They seem to have been both civilians hence I didn't have them. But I will probably add them to the Register in the same way that I have been doing with civilan women on war memorials.

Rab, thanks for the "heads up" re Lapish. Just the sort of thing that I am after. I am not a member of the WFA so would never have seen it. Will now sign up.

Hi Jim

Josephine Mary Crilly, in the info you posted you say that her grave is lost, can you clarify this for me? Do you mean you have no idea where it is or you know where it is, ie the cemetery it is in, but the actual grave cannot be found. I have found reference to her headstone and went to the cemetery today but could not find it, I have asked for info on another website and am awaiting replies.

Regards

IanC

I know very little about Josephine Crilly other than she was a member of Co. Dublin/32 Voluntary Aid Detachment and that her name is recorded on the York Minster panels. I know nothing else about her (couldn't even find her in the 1911 Irish census) so if you know the cemetery where she is resting, and date of death if you have it, I should be very pleased to add it to my Register.

Jim

You posted the message above in October last year for Connor.

Well.... Greetings from my holiday on Vancouver Island!

First the good news - I have a picture for you of the memorial in Langford Veteran's Park. It has, as you have noted, the names of Jane Johnstone, Eliza Kennedy and Mary Oliphant. There were also small individual memorial paving stones with their names on them. These are inscribed on a maple leaf shape and look quite nice. I got photographs of these too. I'll get the photos to you in about 2 weeks - once I get back from holiday.

Now the bad(ish) news. I also went to St Paul's in Esquimalt but it was closed and no-one about! I couldn't get in! However, I noted that their office is open 9.00am to 12 mid day. If I can get going back, I'll give them a call and ask if they'll allow me access.

Regards

Kenny Bell

Kenny, That's great news. I look forward to seeing them when you get back, Enjoy the rest of your travels, Jim.

+++++++++++++

hello Jim

read through the multi pages but did not find if you received any replies re: sites in Saskatchewan, Canada

do you need any there??

Bob R.

+++++++++++++++

Hello Bob, Nothing needed for Saskatchewan. Only one female casualty there (Jean Roberts) and Ralph McLean got that one for me. Thanks for the offer, though, Jim

Kenny, That's great news. I look forward to seeing them when you get back, Enjoy the rest of your travels, Jim.

+++++++++++++

Hello Jim

I managed to get access to St Paul's, Esquimalt today. have 2 pictures for you. 1 of the memorial plaque and 1 of what remains of the war memorial with GMM Wake's name on it.

I hope the one of the plaque is useable - it was another difficult shot to get because of the lighting conditions.

I may be able to get these and the Langford Memorial pictures to you later today - I'm trying to find a cable that will connect my camera to the computer I have access to.

You may have seen this before, however, on the off chance you have not, have a look here:

http://www.gabriolamuseum.org/nursglad.html

http://rememberingfirstworldwarnurses.blog...maude-wake.html

http://www.greyroots.com/exhibitions/virtu...nursing-sister/

and finally:

http://www.canadiangreatwarproject.com/sea...il.asp?Id=32150

Regards

Kenny Bell

Hello Kenny, Great to hear that you have managed to get access to St. Pauls. No hurry on my part and I am content to wait until you get home and you have more time, Regards, Jim

- later. Thanks, Kenny. Safely received.

I have checked the Garisson Church at Arbour Hill in dublin for teh nurses memorial you thought might be there. I was wrong about the Church beside St Bricins military hospital (Formerly KGV hospital) That Greek orthodox church was a school. The current Church of the sacred Heart is the base chlaplaincy for the Irish defence forces. Monseignor Eoin Thynne is head chaplain. I can easily contact him as i met his brother.

The bad news is that there are no British memorials there, only three recent ones to Irish troops lost on UN service. The surrounding graveyard contains many headstones of soldiers and their families who were stationed at Collins (formerly The Royal) barracks.

I have to conclude that any memorials were removed when the church was rededicated. I suspect they could have been sent to St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin which still has the flags of various regiments but will check at some stage.

I have checked the Garisson Church at Arbour Hill in dublin for teh nurses memorial you thought might be there. I was wrong about the Church beside St Bricins military hospital (Formerly KGV hospital) That Greek orthodox church was a school. The current Church of the sacred Heart is the base chlaplaincy for the Irish defence forces. Monseignor Eoin Thynne is head chaplain. I can easily contact him as i met his brother.

The bad news is that there are no British memorials there, only three recent ones to Irish troops lost on UN service. The surrounding graveyard contains many headstones of soldiers and their families who were stationed at Collins (formerly The Royal) barracks.

I have to conclude that any memorials were removed when the church was rededicated. I suspect they could have been sent to St Patrick's Cathedral in Dublin which still has the flags of various regiments but will check at some stage.

gaelgoir, The memorial in the Garrison Church, Dublin, I consider to be of major importance both when it was installed and since. Each of the countries of the UK (I include southern Ireland here as historically it was at the time) seems to have set up memorials to remember their WW1 women casualties.

England - York Minster panels.

Scotland - Edinburgh, St. Giles Kirk

Wales - Llanelwy, St. Asaph Cathedral

N.Ireland - Belfast, St. Anne's Church of Ireland Cathedral

S.Ireland - Dublin, Garrison Church

It is for this reason that I think that the memorial is still there, or if not, removed to a prestigous site elsewhere in Dublin. So your thought that it may have been removed to St. Patrick's Cathedral is very feasible. I shall have to do some deep research unless someone on here has the amswer, Jim

Jim,

Have you contacted forum member Neil Evans aka ShropshireMad about the Shropshire ones? He's probably already got them.

Roy

Jim,

Have you contacted forum member Neil Evans aka ShropshireMad about the Shropshire ones? He's probably already got them.

Roy

Thank you, Roy. The two Neil's (Nuttall and Evans) and I are old friends albeit only through keeping in regular contact through here. They have between them completed my Shropshire needs. Jim

Hi Jim,

Have you managed to get Caton, Lancashire knocked off yet? I work nearby in Lancaster and can pop around this week and have a search for the headstone if not.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Jim,

Have you managed to get Caton, Lancashire knocked off yet? I work nearby in Lancaster and can pop around this week and have a search for the headstone if not.

Cheers

Peter

Peter, I require a photograph of the grave/headstone of Clementina Addison who I believe is buried in St. Paul's churchyard, Caton. I am not certain but believe that she died in mid 1918. She was a member of the French Flag Nursing Corps who died at home of blood poisoning. The following may be of interest.

"A most impressive service was held at the village church, special hymns and an anthem being sung by the choir and children. The coffin was enfolded in the Union Jack and the French flag; the latter was afterwards buried with the remains. It was through her great devotion to the French soldiers that she gave her life as a sacrifice for others”.

Jim

HARROGATE - this one is a lost cause as several people have tried and failed. Vivien Isabelle KNAPTON,. Women's Land Army is on the United Methodist Church Memorial but no-one has yet been able to find it.

I've contacted the Harrogate Methodist Circuit on this one, here's their reply;

"Dear Roy,

The church to which you refer is almost certainly Victoria Park Church which was the United Methodist Church in central Harrogate. This church was closed in 1953 and demolished shortly afterwards. The records relating to the church are located in the North Yorkshire County Record Office at Northallerton. I'm afraid I have no idea what may have happened to any memorials located in the church.

Sorry I can't be of any more assistance,

Mark Godfrey"

Roy

Peter, I know that you have made a careful search of Caton churchyard for Clementina Addison without success. It seems that the churchyard has been "renovated" probably with health and safety in mind and headstones removed.

Roy, Thank you for that. Tiny steps are getting us closer to where the Methodist Memorial may be. I suspect that it was moved to another chapel but no-one has cottoned on to the fact, yet. I wonder if the church records at North Allerton will show.

Jim

I received your email but my replies have bounced back. Yes I will be able to take photograph in the next week or so, once I finish a rush at work. I will need to find the exact grave location, as it's a very large cemetery.

Myrtle

Jim

I received your email but my replies have bounced back. Yes I will be able to take photograph in the next week or so, once I finish a rush at work. I will need to find the exact grave location, as it's a very large cemetery.

Myrtle

Myrtle, I am much obliged. I don't know why your response has bounced back. Regards and grateful thanks, Jim

Here is my updated wants list :-

United Kingdom

ANGUS-SHIRE, Farnell

ARGYLLSHIRE, Kilbride

BERKSHIRE, Reading

BUCKINGHAMSHIRE, Chalfont St. Peters, Emberton,

CARMARTHENSHIRE, Blaenpant, Llangadock

CUMBERLAND, Workington

DERBYSHIRE, Ashover,

DORSETSHIRE, Sherborne, Wyke Regis

DUMBARTONSHIRE, Dumbarton

DURHAM, Dawdon, Seaham

GLAMORGANSHIRE, Bridgend, Cardiff (Llandaff), Llandough,

GWENT, Pontypool

HAMPSHIRE, Haslar, Portsmouth (Kingston)

INVERNESS-SHIRE, Daviot

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon)

KENT, Chatham, Thanington

LANCASHIRE, Ainsdale, Cheadle Hulme, Church & Clayton, Clayton le Moors, Crosby, Greater Accrington, Manchester (6 + Stretford), Mellor, Pendlebury, Stockport, Walton

LINCOLNSHIRE, Billinghay, Blyton,

LONDON/MIDDLESEX, Camberwell (2), Edmonton (2), Islington, Kensal Green, Norwood, Tottenham (4), Willesden

MIDLOTHIAN, Edinburgh (Colinton)

MONMOUTHSHIRE, Ebbw Vale, Fleur de Lis, Llanfigangel, Machen, Newport (4), Risca

NORTHUMBERLAND, Haltwhistle, Haydon Bridge

NOTTINGHAMSHIR, Misterton

OXFORDSHIRE, Islip, Oxford

PEMBROKESHIRE, Cosheston

SOMERSET, Weston-super-Mare

SURREY, Dorking, Leatherhead, Long Ditton, Thames Ditton

THE ORKNEYS, Isle of Hoy

WARWICKSHIRE, Barford, Cofton Hacket, Great Alne, Kenilworth

WILTSHIRE, Chippenham (2)

YORKSHIRE, Harrogate, Whitby, Woodhouse

World

ARMENIA, Erivan

CANADA, Newfoundland (Brigus), Nova Scotia (11), Quebec

FRANCE, Cher, Estaires (2), Gironde, Lamalou, Le Havre, Pys

GUAM

INDIA, Bombay (2), Chennai, Delhi (3), Deolali, Peshewar, Quetta, Trimulgherry

IRAQ, Amara, Baghdad (2), Basra (3)

IRELAND, Co. Donegal (Fahan), Co. Galway, Co. Laois, Co. Limerick, Co. Louth, Offaly, Co. Roscommon, Co. Wicklow, Dublin (5), Co. Sligo (Drumcliff)

ITALY, Bordighera

MACEDONIA, Skopje

MALAWI, Blantyre, Mangochi, Zombo

PAKISTAN, Karachi, Rawlpindi

SIBERIA, Tomsk

SRI LANKA, Kanatte

U.S.A. Arkansas (Waldron), California (Fullerton, Mare Island, Pacheco, Redlands, San Francisco, Vallejo), Colorado (Boulder, Peublo), Connecticut (East Hartford), Florida (Gainesville), Harvard, Illinois (Beardstown, Evanston, Lawrenceville, Shelby County), Indiana (Argos, Farmersburg, Indianapolis, Lafayette, Lebanon, Livonia, Roanoke), Iowa (Ossian, Portsmouth), Kansas (Bushong, Colby, Overbrook, Peabody), Massachusetts (Boston), Mississippi (Delta City and Natchez), Missouri (Jefferson City), Nebraska (Maxwell), New York (Clyde, Fredonia, Oneonta), Ohio (Attica, Canton, Kent, Toledo), Pennsylvania (Bellwood, Philadelphia, Rockledge), South Dakota (Lead), Texas (El Campo, San Antonio), Wisconsin (Superior)

YUGOSLAVIA, Chela Kula (7), Kragujevac

ZAMBIA, Livingstone

Hi Jim,

I can help with Co. Wicklow and possibly the Dublin ones. I'll be back there in a few weeks so PM me the details & I'll see what I can do.

Actually, PM the details of the French ones also as I'm generally driving around there most weekends.

Cheers

Here is my updated wants list :-

IRELAND, NORTH, Co. Antrim, (Armagh and Crumlin), Co. Down x 2 (Newry and Dromore), Co. Londonderry (Coleraine), Co. Tyrone (Dungannon).....

Hello Jim

Please see message I've received from my friend Tony Doherty who visited Articlave (Coleraine) yesterday -

"We searched 2 churchyards in Articlave yesterday (St Pauls, Dunboe Parish, Church of Ireland & 1st Dunboe, Presbyterian). Both were fairly small yards so it took little time.

No headstones were found for Norah Dugan.

Did you mention that someone else had searched there with no luck either?

My guess is that she would have been associated with the Church of Ireland as most well heeled folks belonged to that sect - also there are other Dugan headstones present there compared with no Dugan headstones at the Presbyterian church.

Both church buildings were locked so we could not search inside for memorials.

If your friend is certain that there is something dedicated to Norah at Articlave then maybe he could ask for assistance from - http://www.nearthing.co.uk/bulletins/april..._2010.pdf"

So, looks like nothing there, however, see his suggestion above.

Regards

Kenny Bell

N.Z.E.F.

I have sent my requirement for Co. Wicklow direct to you in a pm. As for Dublin it is the memorial in the Arbour Garrison Church which is alluding me. Several people have tried without success so best leave it. But with just the one requirement in Co. Wiclow I am hopeful that you can get it and that would see that particular county complete.

Kenny Ball

Kenny, Please thank your friends for me for trying to find Norah Dugan. I cannot have asked for anything more and feel that I should now take her off my wants list as she is lost.